SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ CC - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

22 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I feel like nobody other than Jost is reqularly able to create time and space by beating a defender.  That to me is the driver of our offensive issues.  Guys have to be able to beat guys.  

I think Gersich has pretty much all season long. He doesn't have the hands to make it happen (other than 3v3 Denver goal) but he has done it with his speed. Yes, most of his goals have come from good positioning on rebounds and dirty goals but I have seen him pour the coals to defenders more than anyone else this season. Boeser used to jump the slot from the corner and score at least once every weekend. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

I was at the game as well.  After talking with others and observing Boeser closely, it appears he most likely has an undisclosed lower body injury.  While at times he showed flashes of last year's player he was then at times immediately afterward checking out an ankle or knee on his way to the bench.  Something is just not right.  His wrist may not be 100% yet either as his shot is not as quick as last year.

For those screaming for Tomek, I doubt that you will see him.  He did not look good on Friday night in the period that he played.  He just is not tracking the puck well at all or handling it cleanly.  And from what I heard in the Springs, he is not doing well in practice either.  In fact, I was told he may potentially be the fourth best goalie on the team.  Draft spot means absolutely nothing most times when it comes to actual play.  Draft spot indicates possible potential.

CC played an entirely different game on Saturday from Friday.  Defensely they absolutely collapsed and packed it in at the front of the net.  It was extremely tough to get in front of the net or to get shots through to the net.  Their one goal was a fluke off a UND player past Rinks.  UND hit steel five times.  Just an inch the other side on any of them and there would have been a goal.  The effort was there Saturday night, just not the results.  The freshmen are really beginning to shine and hopefully their hustle will be infectious to the whole team.  Wilkie was very noticeable with his effort on Saturday night.  Saturday night was disappointing from a results perspective, but not from a team effort perspective.  They dominated the game and deserved better.

What he said ^^^ (except I wasn't in CO)

Thanks for doing all my typing for me :D

12 hours ago, crb1 said:

I feel your frustration and I can see how one might think our talent is lacking. We expect top recruits at ND. I do feel our issue is more about consistency rather than talent.  I just hope the boys can figure this out before it's to late. 

Agree 100%.

27 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

I was at the game as well.  After talking with others and observing Boeser closely, it appears he most likely has an undisclosed lower body injury.  While at times he showed flashes of last year's player he was then at times immediately afterward checking out an ankle or knee on his way to the bench.  Something is just not right.  His wrist may not be 100% yet either as his shot is not as quick as last year.

For those screaming for Tomek, I doubt that you will see him.  He did not look good on Friday night in the period that he played.  He just is not tracking the puck well at all or handling it cleanly.  And from what I heard in the Springs, he is not doing well in practice either.  In fact, I was told he may potentially be the fourth best goalie on the team.  Draft spot means absolutely nothing most times when it comes to actual play.  Draft spot indicates possible potential.

CC played an entirely different game on Saturday from Friday.  Defensely they absolutely collapsed and packed it in at the front of the net.  It was extremely tough to get in front of the net or to get shots through to the net.  Their one goal was a fluke off a UND player past Rinks.  UND hit steel five times.  Just an inch the other side on any of them and there would have been a goal.  The effort was there Saturday night, just not the results.  The freshmen are really beginning to shine and hopefully their hustle will be infectious to the whole team.  Wilkie was very noticeable with his effort on Saturday night.  Saturday night was disappointing from a results perspective, but not from a team effort perspective.  They dominated the game and deserved better.

Haha.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I wonder what the scores would have been this weekend if Cam would have played. I'm willing to bet he would have let in more than Hrinks. I like his play lately

Doubtful.  I dont think rinks was tested whatsoever.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It hasn't taken "testy" shots to beat Cam or Tomek this season. I would keep rolling with Hrinks this weekend if I could choose.....but I can't :(

St. Cloud presents a whole different challenge.  They are expert at the back door play.  Two years ago we sat behind Hrinks against St. Cloud and they made him look bad.  Cam came in to replace him and immediately made a difference.  But now, it is two years later and things might be different.  Cam is dinged up, it is a different St. Cloud team and a different UND team defensively.  No matter who is in net, this week makes me very nervous.

4 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

St. Cloud presents a whole different challenge.  They are expert at the back door play.  Two years ago we sat behind Hrinks against St. Cloud and they made him look bad.  Cam came in to replace him and immediately made a difference.  But now, it is two years later and things might be different.  Cam is dinged up, it is a different St. Cloud team and a different UND team defensively.  No matter who is in net, this week makes me very nervous.

Not to mention they will be looking for revenge on UND due to getting shut out swept at home. A little more incentive boost for St. Cloud for this series. Didn't help us much against Duluth though I guess! But I agree, this weekend doesn't look like a fun one to me. 

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Everyone needs to remember how terrible Cam looked if his first few spots of game action. Even his first two starts were God awful.

Agreed, as rough as Tomek looked against CC I'm not willing to write him off.  I remember overreacting to Cam's first start and thinking there's no way he'll be a consistent starter.

Then he went and set a bunch of UND records the following year, shows what I know about goaltending :lol:

48 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It hasn't taken "testy" shots to beat Cam or Tomek this season. I would keep rolling with Hrinks this weekend if I could choose.....but I can't :(

Well given we have barely seen Tomek I cant respond on him (and both goals last Friday were not solely his fault, especially the first one).  I have WAY more confidence in Cam than Rinks...they really should not be comparable. It should be either Cam or Tomek.

I've seen a few softies by Cam but he hasn't been downright terrible.  He's been average, and given our current situation that's fine.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

And St Cloud is looking for a payback.

Crazy reading how the coach and the team feel real good about their complete game played Saturday. "One bad bounce against us and no bounces our way was the determining factor in that one, but that's hockey"...

...Quite the contrast to this place on Saturday after the game.

Ah what do they know! :p

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Crazy reading how the coach and the team feel real good about their complete game played Saturday. "One bad bounce against us and no bounces our way was the determining factor in that one, but that's hockey"...

...Quite the contrast to this place on Saturday after the game.

Ah what do they know! :p

As far as I'm concerned CC played the perfect game against a more talented team on Saturday.

Step 1: Get a lucky goal off of opposing team's player while being outshot heavily

Step 2: Line up the dmen on the blueline to enter the zone

Step 3: Pack in the defensemen in front of your goalie to block shots and have him play one of the best games of his life

Step 4: Kiss the pipes and crossbars for helping said goalie out

Step 5: Celebrate 1-0 win(excluding ENGs)

Note: This isn't a knock on CC, they played exactly how a team of their caliber should after gaining the lead. Something they failed to do on Friday and paid for it.

• Upvote 1

Ahem, if I am not mistaken, not too long ago,  I told you something that was very similar to what MR. Siouxman said. and you ---> SCPA0305 laughed. Whether you want to face the truth or not, that is a common thread that has come up numerous times this season. So, maybe it might just be true. Yes, he's a great kid, but as far as goaltenders go, he's probably not in the top two at UND right now.  

13 hours ago, Siouxman said:

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxman said:

I forgot to mention that we were downtown in Colorado Springs after the Saturday night game and had a guy come up to us and said that he was from Philadelphia and could not thank us and UND enough for Dave Hakstol and his turnaround of the Flyers.  Yes, he was a few drinks into it at the time, but he was very sincere.

There are people calling for him to be fired, he's leading them to the playoffs again. But screw playoffs they want certain player playing.

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

There are people calling for him to be fired, he's leading them to the playoffs again. But screw playoffs they want certain player playing.

Those whackos come out of the woodwork from every fan base though....Even college fan bases...

There are fans that are just never happy;)

9 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Those whackos come out of the woodwork from every fan base though....Even college fan bases...

There are fans that are just never happy;)

And "there are people" could be thirty fans active in social media.  Out of a fanbase of . . . ?  As you say, that bunch will always be there.