SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ CC - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

This was an odd game for me. I sat next to an NDSU grad who is a Gopher fan. He kinda cheered for CC but mainly cheered against North Dakota. Who goes to a game specifically for that purpose???

Please please please tell me this fan was wearing a Gopher jersey!

6 hours ago, WiSioux said:

This was an odd game for me. I sat next to an NDSU grad who is a Gopher fan. He kinda cheered for CC but mainly cheered against North Dakota. Who goes to a game specifically for that purpose???

NDSU grads who received free tickets from the employer..........Casey's General Store.

• Upvote 1

I actually don't think the boys played well last night.  Sure they controlled possession, CC has one or two guys that would have cracked berry's recruiting radar, maybe.  The big problem is that there were way too many perimeter shots with no one in front for screens/rebounds.  The goalie made some great saves but he also had some great looks.  He also had some pipe luck.  Tough loss.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I actually don't think the boys played well last night.  Sure they controlled possession, CC has one or two guys that would have cracked berry's recruiting radar, maybe.  The big problem is that there were way too many perimeter shots with no one in front for screens/rebounds.  The goalie made some great saves but he also had some great looks.  He also had some pipe luck.  Tough loss.

After they got that first goal last night went into the trap. You couldn't get anyone into the slot without 2 or even 3 cc players there. 

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

I feel like nobody other than Jost is reqularly able to create time and space by beating a defender.  That to me is the driver of our offensive issues.  Guys have to be able to beat guys.  

We are seriously under talented for a program of our stature.

• Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Irish said:

We are seriously under talented for a program of our stature.

Why are you so alarmist? I usually am on your side on things, but I think you are jumping to conclusions about our program. Someone last week (maybe you, not sure) compared the program today to the end of Gino's tenure. That is preposterous. I saw the inglorious end to Gino's mostly successful tenure as the head of this program and this team is nowhere near that bad.

We will reload next year and be back to our usual selves.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why are you so alarmist? I usually am on your side on things, but I think you are jumping to conclusions about our program. Someone last week (maybe you, not sure) compared the program today to the end of Gino's tenure. That is preposterous. I saw the inglorious end to Gino's mostly successful tenure as the head of this program and this team is nowhere near that bad.

We will reload next year and be back to our usual selves.

First - I didn't make that comparison, nor would I.  I may have been typing while frustrated, but I just do not see much talent the last two years outside of the big 3.  Neither do I see the desired improvement from the Sophs.  For some reason I can't get current stats, but our highest ever drafted goalie (soph) is in Siberia.  Outside of the big 3 we just don't seem to have any firepower or scorers.  We do have guys who have played with various degrees of grit - some a lot of grit, but no one that seems to be able to finish.  On D, Wolanin and Shaw continue to frustrate.  I just don't see a loaded roster - or even one that has a balance of grit and skill.  If we lose Johnson or Jost or Gersich I don't see next year as being much better.  I see a serious drop off in talent on this team.  Some younger guys have shown flashes, but no one has stepped up.  We are extremely uneven, playing "like men" in front of the net to letting teams set up in the slot without bothering them.  And we have had an absence of guys in the net.  We have lots of guys with 3 or less goals.  Good high-end talent, but missing the mid-level players.  Maybe I am being too quick to judge, but based on the play so far I have seen more things to worry about than to be excited about.

Team has talent and skill. It lacks a consistent identity. The players have to go to the net and get garbage goals too, they really struggle in that department. They're not tenacious enough. In addition, they can't control their momentum at all. 

Team has been shutout by - Gophers, Dogs, Tigers. Bottom line, this team shouldn't get shutout 3 times, none less to Gophers and Tigers with their squads.

On the positive side, I've said it a lot, things can't get any worse. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish said:

First - I didn't make that comparison, nor would I.  I may have been typing while frustrated, but I just do not see much talent the last two years outside of the big 3.  Neither do I see the desired improvement from the Sophs.  For some reason I can't get current stats, but our highest ever drafted goalie (soph) is in Siberia.  Outside of the big 3 we just don't seem to have any firepower or scorers.  We do have guys who have played with various degrees of grit - some a lot of grit, but no one that seems to be able to finish.  On D, Wolanin and Shaw continue to frustrate.  I just don't see a loaded roster - or even one that has a balance of grit and skill.  If we lose Johnson or Jost or Gersich I don't see next year as being much better.  I see a serious drop off in talent on this team.  Some younger guys have shown flashes, but no one has stepped up.  We are extremely uneven, playing "like men" in front of the net to letting teams set up in the slot without bothering them.  And we have had an absence of guys in the net.  We have lots of guys with 3 or less goals.  Good high-end talent, but missing the mid-level players.  Maybe I am being too quick to judge, but based on the play so far I have seen more things to worry about than to be excited about.

I feel your frustration and I can see how one might think our talent is lacking. We expect top recruits at ND. I do feel our issue is more about consistency rather than talent.  I just hope the boys can figure this out before it's to late. 

• Upvote 1

Just got back from Colorado Springs, my observations:

- To my surprise, CC continued to play racehorse hockey with us after going up 2-0 on Friday which allowed us back in the game. They didn't make the same mistake on Saturday and packed it in + got a heck of a performance/luck in shutting us out.

- The Bowen line really impresses me and Dixon seems to get better every week. He showed great poise on the breakaway Friday where most freshies would fire that puck immediately.

- Teams are focusing on Boeser and a great example was the 2 on 1 we scored Friday to make it 4-2. The defender essentially left Gersich wide open for a clean shot to make sure Brock wouldn't get a shot. Gersich made him pay.

- #16 is getting extremely frustrated and isn't moving his feet like he needs to be. It could be due to an injury but we need him to play harder and with more as part of the team if we are going to make a run in the postseason. I don't question his desire but what he's doing isn't working. Needs to play a 200 ft game and let the offense come to him rather than forcing it because he absolutely is.

- I'm not as upset about losing on Saturday as I thought I'd be because this team dominated time of possession/SOG for long periods 5on5. I know people hate to hear it in here but that really was a hot goalie. I sat directly behind him for 2 of the 3 periods and if he didn't make the save, the post did for him. 

-We're lucky that stay at 9 in PWR but #12-13 could be one loss away. We need guys to start blocking more shots, back checking harder and being more desperate in general. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

I feel your frustration and I can see how one might think our talent is lacking. We expect top recruits at ND. I do feel our issue is more about consistency rather than talent.  I just hope the boys can figure this out before it's to late. 

I admit to venting and searching for an explanation.  What I don't get is this kind of play we've been seeing when the majority of the team just got done playing on a championship team last year that did all of the things this team does not.  I thought the hard, fast play and take no prisoners forchecking and backchecking as well as the play around both nets would carry over and the talent may be young, but play with inspiration.  What a difference a year makes.  Why does this team only play like that in spurts then revert?

8 hours ago, Irish said:

Two guys who I can think of that stepped up their senoir year would be Caggiula and Frattin. You could tell these guys were good but had no idea how good they really were until it clicked for them. Both turned into men among boys in one year. Hope we have some other guys that can find that next gear.