SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (7-2, 12-7) @ NAU (2-6, 5-16) 1/28 3 PM

SWSiouxMN

With great performances by Geno and Hooker, UND overcame a 14 point deficit in the 2nd half to win down in SUU.  Now the team look to sweep the road weekend with what could be the final time UND plays down in Flagstaff as a member of the Big Sky.

The SUU game wasn't the greatest basketball played at times but good teams find ways to win, and they did find a way.  Despite not having Avants and zero post presence outside of flashes from Drick and Collins.  Without Avants and a poor night from Shanks, rebounding wasn't the strongest suit against SUU (outrebounded by 14)

The other noticeable trend to me is the more aggressive nature of Seales off the bench, he has strung two decent games off the bench.

NAU should be playing with a bit more confidence after getting a nice win at home against UNC.  UND's effort against NAU in Grand Forks wasn't the greatest, but again found a way to win the game.

UND is 5-3 all time in Big Sky play verses NAU, including a nice 3-1 record down in Flagstaff.

One big difference in this matchup verses last time, The inside-outside threat of Ako Kaluna is back so UND will have an additional challenge between him and Martin.  If Avants cannot go, UND is going to have to get some post play out of Shanks, he cannot have a game like he did last night.

Other games:

ISU (1-6) @ Weber (6-1)*Tonight:  Travel partners battle again after making up the game in Poky on Wednesday, now its down in Odgen. Can ISU pull the upset in their arch-rivals backyard and get any kind of momentum going for the 2nd half of the season?

Idaho (4-4) @ Mont (5-4). In pre-season, this could have been a matchup that decided who was going to be in 1st place.  Now at mid-season both teams are slogging in the middle of the pack. Montana has dropped 3 in a row and the biggest question is will their two top players be playing in this one. Idaho has recovered from their slow start but missed a golden opportunity to sweep the series against MSU.  Critical game for both teams as Idaho doesn't want to blunt any of their momentum and Montana needs to stop the bleeding.

EWU (6-2) @ MSU (5-4) Two very hot teams,  Eastern finally broke through with a critical road victory again the Griz (yes, with the Griz missing two of their best players to suspension) and MSU held off Idaho in double OT.  If you are still dismissing EWU as a title threat its time to stop, they will be there at the end and sweeping the Montana swing will go along way to establishing that.  MSU has won 4 in a row and has become a dangerous squad, can they get that signature win at home?

UNC (3-6) @ SUU (2-6) Two teams that have been going in the wrong direction since the start of the year and it is a battle of the tier 4 teams in the conference.  Somebody's long losing streak will end.

PSU (4-3) @ SAC (3-4) What do you do when you beat Montana? Lay an Egg against MSU of course! If you would have told me that both teams would split against the Montanas I would have said they both beat MSU.  Not the case.  another rematch where PSU won at home, can they get the sweep and stay on track. Can Sac State turn it around and make a little noise here going into the 2nd half.  Portland has some big games coming up that can either really establish themselves as a top 4 team or be send back down to the middle of the pack.

Final Thoughts:

UND is sitting right where they were expected to be, top of the Big Sky. Outside of a stumble in Portland and Missoula (where they could have won that one), UND has done what they needed to in the 1st half of the season.  Now with Moving Month approaching and huge showdown games at home in 2 weeks, its important for UND to keep the momentum going with a win on the road.  I think UND comes out with a better start and Geno and Hooker have another big game.  I also look for Seales to have another nice night off the bench and the big men for UND do just enough.  It won't be like SUU, but NAU will make it uncomfortable at times, especially if Avants can't go.  I will pick this with the assumption that Avants can't go. If he can go somewhat, add 4 to UNDs score and take off 4 for NAU.

UND 81-68

• Upvote 1