SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber at UND

hoops44

17 minutes ago, southpaw said:

You're a pro at finding anything to bitch about. A win over the number one team in the league? Let's bash the hockey team. 

Find some happiness in sports, it will make supporting und more fun. 

guess you missed the part where i said great game and great crowd?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

guess you missed the part where i said great game and great crowd?

Why take a jab at the hockey team. Glad they were there supporting the basketball player. Would it be nice if they were loud and pumping up the crowd, sure, but at least they were there. Was the soccer team there? Swimming and diving? Women's hockey? Each of the greek houses? On campus church organization, Etc? I guess it's just easier to single out the most popular and recognizable group on campus for not living up to your standards.

As for being late, what jerks. Maybe they were practicing? At church? Vandalizing university property? Studying? ... you should probably have them bring you a signed parental note for the next game.

No need to call out a group of kids for something as stupid as this. Prob could have just left it at, the Football team showed some great support.

• Upvote 1

i sat right in front of faison....he was going nutz during this game...maybe i've never noticed it before but he was up and yelling and waving his arms...he really really wanted the ref to count geno's three point heave when he was fouled..."score it, score it, SCORE IT!!" he yelled...he had me laughing pretty hard.

8 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Why take a jab at the hockey team. Glad they were there supporting the basketball player. Would it be nice if they were loud and pumping up the crowd, sure, but at least they were there. Was the soccer team there? Swimming and diving? Women's hockey? Each of the greek houses? On campus church organization, Etc? I guess it's just easier to single out the most popular and recognizable group on campus for not living up to your standards.

As for being late, what jerks. Maybe they were practicing? At church? Vandalizing university property? Studying? ... you should probably have them bring you a signed parental note for the next game.

No need to call out a group of kids for something as stupid as this. Prob could have just left it at, the Football team showed some great support.

Let's call it what it is. They are not well liked amongst the other UND athletes. I'm sure the basketball players could care less that they were there. And to be fair, basketball players wouldn't be caught dead at a hockey game.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Let's call it what it is. They are not well liked amongst the other UND athletes. I'm sure the basketball players could care less that they were there. And to be fair, basketball players wouldn't be caught dead at a hockey game.  

I get that, and in some ways, it is even understandable. They get the attention, they get the media coverage, they get the funding, they get a ton of fans. At the same time, they are doing what they were brought on campus to do. Just like you don't see the basketball players at hockey, you don't see a large mob of football players at the hockey game gettin rowdy either.

Personally, I think it is awesome when athletic teams support each other, but the hockey team is the only one that ever seems to get bashed on for not doing it. When there are plenty of other athletic teams, and on campus groups who don't attend each others events.

The ironic part is the hockey team may not be liked by some of the other athletes on campus, and maybe it is different than when I was in school in the mid-2000s, but the hockey players seem like they were one of the nicer groups of athletes. Extremely friendly, in and out of class. Heck I was walking around looking for a seat in a packed dining hall and Jordan Parise taps me on the should to let me know they had an extra seat at their table. Some of the basketball players were cool, but at that time, some of the football players were the biggest bunch of jerks. You would have though they were all playing in the NFL with their arrogance. Not saying it was all of them, but definitely a good chunk of them.

Again, that was then, this is now. I just don't think that it is necessary to call out a group of athletes for not being supportive, when they show up at an event ... because they were late or weren't loud enough. Especially when you have zero idea of what else they had going on .... practice, studying, etc.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

That was a really fun game. The football team was into it the entire game and entertaining by themselves, but there was a point in the second half, when UND went on a run and the entire building was into it. The crowd fed off the play on the court. I thought it was cool to see, and I found myself jumping to my feet with every big play (which might not seem like a big deal, but I'm a pretty casual bball fan in general).

Long story short, that was probably one of the most exciting UND basketball games I've seen in a long time, I'll be looking at the calendar for the next home game.

Go Hawk! Lets make a run at the big dance!

Totally agree! 

Crandall was playing like he was possessed.

20 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Totally agree! 

Crandall was playing like he was possessed.

Monster game by Gino.  He has special skills and wants the ball when the game is on the line.  I'd have to say I was very proud of Gino for staying away from the trash that has plagued him in the past.  Q was very clutch at the end of the game, hitting the "J" and sinking free throws.  Mildly disappointed he didn't call the bank shot with about 5-6 minutes to go in the game.  Very entertaining game!!!

So clearly hooker and crandall are our most dominant players, but to beat one of the best team with Avants having such an off night is pretty awesome. He is another guy who can step in and dominate a game, when he is on. 

Just hope these guys keep winning and then hit on all cylinders in Reno.

8-8 from the line in the last 38 seconds.  Crandall himself was 6-6.  That's what clutch teams do down the stretch to win games!!  Very impressed with our free throw shooting since conference play started.

Another interesting stat is Weber only attempted 8 FT's the entire game compared to our 23!!  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

It's pretty simple to me at this point:  UND goes as Geno goes.  

When he is on, they win.  When he is off, well.....

He's got the physical skillset and talent to be one of UND's all time greats. However he still has a long ways to go on the mental side, playing within himself and the game and following the game plan instead of going rogue. The last few games have been very encouraging steps in the right direction on that front and the results are showing.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

8-8 from the line in the last 38 seconds.  Crandall himself was 6-6.  That's what clutch teams do down the stretch to win games!!  Very impressed with our free throw shooting since conference play started.

Another interesting stat is Weber only attempted 8 FT's the entire game compared to our 23!!  

Thats pretty impressive.

And credit to Jones and the players for improving the FT shooting. That has been something that has killed this team in the past. Great to see the improvement. Hopefully they sustain it.

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He's got the physical skillset and talent to be one of UND's all time greats. However he still has a long ways to go on the mental side, playing within himself and the game and following the game plan instead of going rogue. The last few games have been very encouraging steps in the right direction on that front and the results are showing.

Part of his game is aggressiveness with the ball.  If he slowly gets that under control, as in when to drive the lane and when not to, he is going to be a force.  Last night he drove 1 on 3 too many times.  But, he also killed them many more times going 1 on 1.  Maturation.

• Upvote 1

I think we should also note how much the rebounding has improved over a few years ago - rebounding is about effort and desire.

Related but not related - watched the women's game at Weber on Eversoirt - I bet there wasn't 30 people in the stands. They had to keep shooting the same small group during the game. I know out women's team sees they get great support when they hit the road.  

What a steal to watch that game last night for $15 and sit right behind the visitors bench.  Weber coach was really going after the refs, they showed signs of a great team.

We really hustled and moved with speed on the fast breaks; and therefore, a lot of plays that in the past were forced shots or passes, yesterday were outstanding plays. A really fast paste exciting game. There was a point in the second half were the crowd got into it in a way that hasn't happened like that for many years. The FB players were pretty organized in their great support. What a show and what a finish from the BB players for the fans to remember! This game is what GF is talking about today, opps, a new President is getting inaugurated today. Thanks MBB.

25 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

What a steal to watch that game last night for $15 and sit right behind the visitors bench.  Weber coach was really going after the refs, they showed signs of a great team.

We really hustled and moved with speed on the fast breaks; and therefore, a lot of plays that in the past were forced shots or passes, yesterday were outstanding plays. A really fast paste exciting game. There was a point in the second half were the crowd got into it in a way that hasn't happened like that for many years. The FB players were pretty organized in their great support. What a show and what a finish from the BB players for the fans to remember! This game is what GF is talking about today, opps, a new President is getting inaugurated today. Thanks MBB.

#makeUNDgreatagain