SiouxSports.com Forum

Tom Miller's questionable comparison

NoiseInsideMyHead

In a column/article about UND hockey, longtime Herald sports writer Tom Miller dropped this bomb:

But by the time the final horn sounded, the Ralph looked like the Alerus Center in the fourth quarter of a UND football game during the Chris Mussman Era.

Really, Tom? You had to go there? It's 2017. We're several years removed from the previous regime, we've grown, we've matured, we've tasted success, we've made the playoffs, and we are full of hope and optimism for the first time in a long time. Yet, you had to take a snipe at the previous coach? By name? Show some class.

The writer here could have used big boy words and made several creative or witty allusions to the recent down period for UND football. He could have indirectly referenced Mussman a million different ways, and all of the readers in Siouxland would have gotten the joke, and maybe even smirked a little. He could have taken the high road and tied FB attendance to fan apathy or performance generally, instead of calling out a coach or a staff. This was small, petty, and mean. And bush league journalism. Okay for Deadspin, I suppose...maybe that's where Tom's aspirations lie.

The Herald is blessed to have such an excellent sports writer in Brad Schlossman...I only wish the same could be said for his colleague and understudy.

Boo, Tom. Boo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

In a column/article about UND hockey, longtime Herald sports writer Tom Miller dropped this bomb:

Really, Tom? You had to go there? It's 2017. We're several years removed from the previous regime, we've grown, we've matured, we've tasted success, we've made the playoffs, and we are full of hope and optimism for the first time in a long time. Yet, you had to take a snipe at the previous coach? By name? Show some class.

The writer here could have used big boy words and made several creative or witty allusions to the recent down period for UND football. He could have indirectly referenced Mussman a million different ways, and all of the readers in Siouxland would have gotten the joke, and maybe even smirked a little. He could have taken the high road and tied FB attendance to fan apathy or performance generally, instead of calling out a coach or a staff. This was small, petty, and mean. And bush league journalism. Okay for Deadspin, I suppose...maybe that's where Tom's aspirations lie.

The Herald is blessed to have such an excellent sports writer in Brad Schlossman...I only wish the same could be said for his colleague and understudy.

Boo, Tom. Boo.

Mussman - as HC - was horrible for UND football and he will forever be linked to UND football's DI transition and initial FCS seasons as such. It is what it is. Thank God for Bubba. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Boo, Tom. Boo.

I've kind of had the same feeling reading the article.

This article is more like one that would have been written by a troll, and we know that's not the case. So, is there some past residual hard feelings of those football days?

I'm not one that likes fans leaving early, but last night was a pretty big melt down.