SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-1, 9-6) @ Montana (4-1, 9-9) 1/14 8 PM

SWSiouxMN

.Even though Hooker has had some great games this year, overall his play has been his poorest since his Freshman year.  As a rule when we have a critical possession we just seem to be poorly coached.  We become a very selfish team.  We lose our discipline on big possessions.  We had some really bad fouls taken tonight when they had no business getting their hand in their.   Also we always seem to have the wrong person taking the shot when we need a basket.  And of course on probably the biggest possession of the game we went to Shanks.  Wow.  It is kind of like groundhog day.  We just can never win what is perceived to be a Big game.

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Being about equal with one of the historical top teams in the big sky?

No.  

That we should be happy UND only plays them once this year and UND "would have won at home".  That is what we have resigned ourselves to be excited about.

Also, your comment about UNDs being "about equal" to Montana.  We came within 6 of the mighty Griz.  :silly:

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Also, your comment about UNDs being "about equal" to Montana.  We came within 6 of the mighty Griz.  :silly:

Your comment not mine. 

Someone said the home teams would be likely to win this series (that means their "about equal")....and you replied that was the state of UND basketball.

In your quote there was no emotion of happiness connected. I know it was an attempt at a "slam" UND basketball on your part, but it failed miserably.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Your comment not mine. 

Someone said the home teams would be likely to win this series (that means their "about equal")....and you replied that was the state of UND basketball.

In your quote there was no emotion of happiness connected. I know it was an attempt at a "slam" UND basketball on your part, but it failed miserably.

Failed miserably?  Oh no.

Go read Volleys quote again.  It was an attempt at consolation.  Like it's OK we lost on the road.  Lower the bar.

22 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Go read Volleys quote again.  It was an attempt at consolation.  Like it's OK we lost on the road.  Lower the bar.

I've seen it a thousand times, it's basically when one team wins the other team goes "we'll get them next time" (either in the playoffs or at home...or in this case "too bad we don't play them at home because we'd win").

If you want to read into it as "lowering the bar" by barely losing on the road to one of the big skys historically strong teams that's fine.

Caught the end of the game in the concourse at The Ralph and glanced at the box score. Montana is a good team but this was a winnable game. 

The volume wasn't on in the concourse so maybe someone here knows and hopefully it isn't long term but how how bad is Avants injury? We need him going forward so I hope it isn't serious.

23 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I can see entering the ball to Shanks to get the play going, he can pass.  But no he should not be shooting.  Maybe have a play setup away from the ball that he would look to?  IDK.

Shanks can't pass.  I honestly don't know what he does well besides throwing heaters at the rim.  Zero touch on his shot.

9 hours ago, teamsioux said:

Also wonder about Collins injury?  

Post game interview with Rolston and Coach Jones- didn't seem like much concern.  He also mention Geno and Hooker have some nagging injuries.  

Have to keep battling.  Played hard and didn't get some of the calls you'd get at home.  Disappointed with the loss but Geno got out of his funk and Bernstine looked a lot like the guy from last year.  

12 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Failed miserably?  Oh no.

Like the players on the team.  But Jones will be staying on if they get to the dance in Reno.  That's what we are looking at.  Not sure if I should celebrate or cry in my beer.

If this team plays like it is capable of in Reno, we should be dancing.  

I want this program to have a distinct and winning pattern to it, but that not we have, yet.  It's not going to happen with Jones at the helm, even if he leads us to Dayton.

Going back:

those first half turnovers really killed this team and it was uncharacteristic, also along with the 12 assists, too low for a team normally around 16-18 a game.  A lot of those turnovers were went the Griz were in a lull offensively. 

While he was responsible for 4 of those turnovers, Geno was getting to rim at will and hitting big shots.  He had a big game but it could have been bigger if he didn't foul out.  He honestly could have been around 35 points, Griz had no answer for him.

Nice to see Drick have a solid rebound night, that's more like it.

Another positive night at the free throw line (12-15), keep that up going forward.

No idea what was with Avants, he was not himself on Saturday. Post defense did not look good as they let their big guy go off (made him look like Buening from last year).  Overall defense was for the most part solid.

Montana played good, but they are not world beaters. I like their chances in rematch in Reno.  They played well enough to win but they know they let a good opportunity slip away, if they executed better down the stretch offensively they pull that one out and send a statement.

Hooker needs to shake this one off, get back to what he was doing.

Time to defend the home-court against Weber and ISU.  I expect 2 wins

One more note:  Seales had done semi-decently from the bench overall this year, but I am wondering when is it going to take it up a notch and be that great force off the bench and produce more games like he did against NDSU and Sac State. 

Turnovers and points at the line only 16 points from the big were problematic...Montana poster on Geno.... Crandell is a stud, that is how he got 28 points. He's only a soph too. He's gonna be a hand-full for 2 more years after this, and perhaps a future league MVP. He's a trash-talking punk, but has the game to back it up.

Love Avants game but unfortunately he is not in a position to "take over" a game. But he's money when he gets the ball down low. Shanks needs to focus on rebounding and dunks - that's all. It worked for Phil Jackson centers in Chicago. I can't believe how many two-foot shots he's had rim out. 

38 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Love Avants game but unfortunately he is not in a position to "take over" a game. But he's money when he gets the ball down low. Shanks needs to focus on rebounding and dunks - that's all. It worked for Phil Jackson centers in Chicago. I can't believe how many two-foot shots he's had rim out. 

I don't know how he is averaging 52% from the field.  Don't get it, he makes some good moves sometimes but yeah he fires some heaters. I'm still holding on to hope that it will come together for him and he can be a nice piece moving through the remaining part of the season.