Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SWSiouxMN

UND (3-1, 8-6) @ MSU (1-3, 6-11) 1/12 8 PM

Recommended Posts

UND looked to take a step in the right direction with a 95-65 demolishing of SUU.  Now UND heads west for the only matchups of the regular season against the Montana schools.  First up is the Bobcats of MSU.  They are coming being swept on the road by EWU and Idaho, including losing a heart-breaker to Idaho on a buzzer beater in OT

This team is the quintessential 1 year away from making some serious noise in the conference.  They have the one of the best guards in the conference in Tyler Hall, next year's prohibited favorite to win Big Sky POY,  who went on a tear last weekend despite the two losses, averaging 32.5 ppgs in the two contests. They also have a pretty good freshman guard from Norway named Harald Frey.

UND's guards will be challenged once again with these two and will have to play tough like they did against SUU.  UND should have a nice advantage in the post, hopefully with Drick back in the lineup

UND is 5-3 in Big Sky play against MSU, including a 3-1 record in Bozeman.  However UND suffered their first loss in Bozeman last year.

As stated before, this is the only matchup between in the regular season the two schools, so for tiebreaking performances this is important for both.  For MSU, its a chance to get their season back on track and starting make a move for a first round bye.  For UND, its establishing their position at the top of the Big Sky.  UND must also avoid the trap of looking ahead to a showdown game against the Griz.

Other match-ups

UNC (3-1) @ Mont (3-1): Speaking of our friends from Montana, they too have a trap game against the Bears of UNC, who is playing for nothing more than pride and a Big Sky regular season title.

Idaho (1-2) @ Weber (2-0) Not a misprint, Weber's game against ISU was suspended due a leaky roof so they have the equivalency  of a week off.  Idaho got the win they needed against MSU, can they upset the cats and send a message to the rest of the conference they are still a threat in the conference?

EWU (2-1) @ ISU (0-2)  Eastern almost got the win against the Griz, but they appear to be a surprising force in the race this year.  Will the roof be ready for basketball at ISU?  Can Telfair get this team going? Or is this back to the old ISU that we know and love

SAC (0-3) @ SUU (2-1)  SUU was brought down the earth a bit by UND, but still a change to gain a home win against a struggling Sac State team.  Can they break through here?

PSU (2-1) @ NAU (0-3)  Can the Vikes score a road win and continue their surprising start?  Or can the young lumberjacks break through at home with W #1

The call:

If UND plays like they did against SUU, they win by 10+.  If they play like the last time they went on the road they lose by 10+  Hard hitting analysis I know, but with Hooker looking like his old self and Geno coming off a good game on both ends of the floor, I see them building off that and frustrating the Bobcat guards. Avants throwing his weight around in the post with another solid game, UND comes away with a big road win.

78-71

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, teamsioux said:

just should add to UNDs advantage in the post. Feed Avants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Las Vegas Pro. cappers  start  Mt St. as a one point fav. and project them to win 82-81.   Crandall and Collins played against Bobcat Starter Sam Nueman in highschool  as well as Seales has faced off against Bobcat star Hall in highschool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Las Vegas Pro. cappers  start  Mt St. as a one point fav. and project them to win 82-81.   Crandall and Collins played against Bobcat Starter Sam Nueman in highschool  as well as Seales has faced off against Bobcat star Hall in highschool

Interesting - thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

UND is a two point dog to a 6-11 team.  

Based on what I've seen from this team, they SHOULD win. That being said, I could see them winning by 20 or losing by 20. Unless we start seeing consistency over the next few weeks, it could be another up and down season. Took a nice step this past weekend, just hope we see more of that and less of the team that played against NAU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

UND is a two point dog to a 6-11 team.  

:0 But don't they give points for being the home team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Based on what I've seen from this team, they SHOULD win. That being said, I could see them winning by 20 or losing by 20. Unless we start seeing consistency over the next few weeks, it could be another up and down season. Took a nice step this past weekend, just hope we see more of that and less of the team that played against NAU.

The 20 / 20 could be tonight and Sat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The 20 / 20 could be tonight and Sat.

I hope we win by 20 in both games, or hell just win by any score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

no way we beat montana. i'd be surprised if we beat MSU

 

37 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Without Bernstine lucky to get a split

OK, so based on the two comments above, why exactly is there push back on thinking the program needs to go a different direction?  

MSU sucks at basketball.  Montana is pretty good (relatively speaking).....and our fans are HOPING for a split.

This is our ceiling, really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

 

OK, so based on the two comments above, why exactly is there push back on thinking the program needs to go a different direction?  

MSU sucks at basketball.  Montana is pretty good (relatively speaking).....and our fans are HOPING for a split.

This is our ceiling, really?

i am hoping for a ncaa title....but  smart enough to know that a road split as double underdogs , without bernstine is nothing to legitimately complain about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

i am hoping for a ncaa title....but  smart enough to know that a road split as double underdogs , without bernstine is nothing to legitimately complain about. 

UND Basketball = "Hope For a Split". 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you can say that just because someone predicts a split that the entire fan base has set a low ceiling for this team.  

If we play our game we should win both of these games. Is Bernstine out for this week? That would be impactful - not an excuse but definitely a key player. 

And this is not a push back on whether or not we need a coaching change. But every comment doesn't need to be flipped into a pro/con on the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Disgusting, but hey, according to hoops44, it's just being "smart". 

disgusting for you ...smart for me..as  I am almost always right and you are almost always wrong

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I don't think you can say that just because someone predicts a split that the entire fan base has set a low ceiling for this team.  

If we play our game we should win both of these games. Is Bernstine out for this week? That would be impactful - not an excuse but definitely a key player. 

And this is not a push back on whether or not we need a coaching change. But every comment doesn't need to be flipped into a pro/con on the issue. 

No, they are hoping for a split.  Not predicting.  Sad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

disgusting for you ...smart for me..as  I am almost always right and you are almost always wrong

Wow - how poetic; I couldn't have said it better myself. 

Right now, UND men's basketball leaves a lot to be desired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×