SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Quantity does not always equate to quality.  To dismiss the QB position as an important top 3 position for UND is ignorant to what that position means to all levels of football. It is often labeled the most important position in sports for a reason.

I'm not saying QB is not important in the larger picture. 

However, what I am saying is right now on UND's roster it's not my greatest concern. 

PS - Martin Brodeur, Patrick Roy, and Ed Belfour would like to schedule a conference call with you later today. ;) 

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

Someone mentioned a week or two ago UND is close to signing an FBS DB. Is this still in the works or did nothing come of it? 

Must have fallen thru, otherwise we should have heard by now. 

51 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Get used to it.  We are going to be "in the running" for a lot of guys and not get them.  

As is almost every other school.  If a guy has 4 offers......that means he doesn't choose 3 of them.  Can't expect every guy we want to come on board.  Hopefully if we bounce back and have a couple of successful years that will increase the likely hood that they do still choose us, but even then sometimes they won't.  

16 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

As is almost every other school.  If a guy has 4 offers......that means he doesn't choose 3 of them.  Can't expect every guy we want to come on board.  Hopefully if we bounce back and have a couple of successful years that will increase the likely hood that they do still choose us, but even then sometimes they won't.  

I’m more concerned with our HS recruiting than our FBS dropdown recruiting right now

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m more concerned with our HS recruiting than our FBS dropdown recruiting right now

+1.     Bubba just doesn't seem to get the right guys out of HS.      Muss offered everyone who came along and yet made it work.    Bubba's problem mystifies me.

2 hours ago, TRex said:

+1.     Bubba just doesn't seem to get the right guys out of HS.      Muss offered everyone who came along and yet made it work.    Bubba's problem mystifies me.

Did you watch any of Mussman's teams?  If he made it work he would still be the UND coach.

Offensive line play is an issue around the country, hence the large scale changes in offensive style of play that takes pressure off the play up front (up-tempo spread option offenses). 

The programs that still run a downhill physical style of play need good offensive linemen, but those programs are becoming more and more scarce. Some of the few remaining include Alabama, Wisconsin, and Michigan. At the FCS level, NDSU is really one of the only programs that comes to mind, and they do it so well no one can counter it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Weren't we all complaining about Muss's lack of OL recruiting and development the past 8 years?

We had some pretty good hogs under Mussman. The lack of an attempt at a run game allowed teams to just pin their ears back though. Guys like Emmet Lynch come to mind as the type we need. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Offensive line play is an issue around the country, hence the large scale changes in offensive style of play that takes pressure off the play up front (up-tempo spread option offenses). 

The programs that still run a downhill physical style of play need good offensive linemen, but those programs are becoming more and more scarce. Some of the few remaining include Alabama, Wisconsin, and Michigan. At the FCS level, NDSU is really one of the only programs that comes to mind, and they do it so well no one can counter it.

There are plenty of hogs in this part of the country. We just need to do a better job of getting them and holding on to them. The class with Grady Williams and Merz was dripping with potential on the OL and none of them worked out. We need Mortel and co to really step up.

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2018 at 11:10 AM, geaux_sioux said:

There are plenty of hogs in this part of the country. We just need to do a better job of getting them and holding on to them. The class with Grady Williams and Merz was dripping with potential on the OL and none of them worked out. We need Mortel and co to really step up.

I agree that this part of the country does have good offensive linemen; problem is there aren't enough for all programs. Obviously only so many are high-end DI players. 

UND has lost too many offensive linemen "with potential" for me to think that it is just bad luck. UND has failed to find good players and develop them. NDSU, on the other hand, has taken backyard 9 man players and turned them into all-conference linemen.