SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

5 hours ago, TRex said:

The Jackrabbits made it to the playoffs almost every year since they moved up, and they even won a playoff game a lot of years until they ran into NDSU.   From what I've heard about the  old stadium it was less than great.   I'd say the Jacks got further this year because they were opposite NDSU in the bracket rather than having a shiny new outdoor stadium.

We need HPC completed. You are crazy to think the Jacks don’t have a competitive recruiting edge if you go to their campus. It is arguably the best in the MVC. They have an HPC, completed, they have a brand new 18,000 seat stadium connected to their HPC, with the largest score board thanks to Daqtronics, short of the Dallas Cowboys. All brand new. And all their sport venues are all new and together minus one, and the one, Frost, basketball,  is just about to have a massive renovation. It looks impressive. I fear them recruiting wise more than the Bison if they continue to be successful.  No I am not a Jacks troll, I married into a Jacks family. Hard to say...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

We need HPC completed. You are crazy to think the Jacks don’t have a competitive recruiting edge if you go to their campus. It is arguably the best in the MVC. They have an HPC, completed, they have a brand new 18,000 seat stadium connected to their HPC, with the largest score board thanks to Daqtronics, short of the Dallas Cowboys. All brand new. And all their sport venues are all new and together minus one, and the one, Frost, basketball,  is just about to have a massive renovation. It looks impressive. I fear them recruiting wise more than the Bison if they continue to be successful.  No I am not a Jacks troll, I married into a Jacks family. Hard to say...

Check the link below.   It's Hero Sports subjective call on the top 50 FCS schools ranked according to this years recruiting class.    Please tell me where SDSU is on that list.  PLEASE!   I see South Dakota at 25 and all they have is the Dakota Dump.    I see a lot Sky teams on there, heck even NDSU made the list.    So where's SDSU with those great facilities?    SDSU actually did better recruiting back when they still had the old CAS stadium and portapotties

https://herosports.com/fcs/recruiting-national-top-50-fcs-teams-2018-ajaj#1

1 minute ago, TRex said:

Check the link below.   It's Hero Sports subjective call on the top 50 FCS schools ranked according to this years recruiting class.    Please tell me where SDSU is on that list.  PLEASE!   I see South Dakota at 25 and all they have is the Dakota Dump.    I see a lot Sky teams on there, heck even NDSU made the list.    So where's SDSU with those great facilities?    SDSU actually did better recruiting back when they still had the old CAS stadium and portapotties

Ok so you see no correlation between recruiting and facilities.

Noted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Actually it probably didn't have anything to do with most of their studs this year.  The Stadium opened in 2016.  Weineke and Goedart were recruited long before soil was ever broken to build that stadium, and so were all of the other juniors and seniors on the team.  I doubt those guys as high school seniors decided to go to SDSU because fundraising for a new stadium had just begun and it may, or may not, be completed by the time they graduate.     I do agree, and I think we all agree better facilities to help you recruit, but I wouldn't attribute SDSU's success this year to that stadium.  

Both of those guys were diamonds in the rough. Not highly thought of at all.

3 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

The President is interviewing in Florida? Wow...

I trust Bubba to clean up the attitude issues and player accountability...D1 is D1.

When does the AD move here.... nothing changes until he has been here 30 days, at least, IMHO and I am not part of any GOBC.  Things may not change for 60 days....he needs to get the lay of the land first...

los of issues here boys, lots.

but GO SIOUX!!!

So, you may be a member of the GOWC?

Honest question, besides having to go through another search and hire process, Would anyone here really miss President Kennedy?? I haven't really paid that close attention to what he's doing, so I'm actually asking for opinions that are probably more educated than mine. (my opinion is that he's been average, not hurting us but not exactly irreplaceable.)

4 hours ago, TRex said:

Easy killer. In the nose out the mouth. Polls mean jack. I remember a poll last year that picked us to win the BS. Point is teams like SDSU are deeper than us. They aim small and miss small. Classes are going to vary based on need. We need to do whatever we can to help separate us to win recruiting battles against them, NDSU, SD, UNI etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRex said:

Boy, did you just step in it.  No "W" is ever going to admit to being "O".

I will talk to my friends.... this community may just have a GOWC ( both old and outstanding)! The GOBC. Has to be part of the changes... or justveatch. Very interesting concept.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Parkers Pros said:

Easy killer. In the nose out the mouth. Polls mean jack. I remember a poll last year that picked us to win the BS. Point is teams like SDSU are deeper than us. They aim small and miss small. Classes are going to vary based on need. We need to do whatever we can to help separate us to win recruiting battles against them, NDSU, SD, UNI etc. 

That might also mean running an offense that doesn't make most people throw up in their mouths a little.  Wonder why we didn't get a quality QB recruit?  Or imagine you are a running back with Santiago like potential.  What would you conclude after watching how he was used last year with our absolute refusal to put him out wide or try get him the ball in space.  Most of recruiting is selling your product and that includes your schemes.  

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Irish said:

That might also mean running an offense that doesn't make most people throw up in their mouths a little.  Wonder why we didn't get a quality QB recruit?  Or imagine you are a running back with Santiago like potential.  What would you conclude after watching how he was used last year with our absolute refusal to put him out wide or try get him the ball in space.  Most of recruiting is selling your product and that includes your schemes.  

Can't disagree with this. A more create offense, and utilization of our talent translates to wins which translates to recruiting.

On February 27, 2018 at 9:49 AM, UNDvince97-01 said:

You recruit better talent with better facilities.

Better talent equals more wins.

It's really simple.

Better recruiting, game plan, in-game adjustment, use of personnel equals more wins.

it really is simple

36 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

like NDSU's new Indoor Practice Facility. Oh wait, that was us.

Yeah...so? We still have more to do. 

ndsu's locker rooms, coaches offices and meeting rooms > UND Phase I in terms of recruiting.

30 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Seen their locker rooms, coaches offices and meeting rooms?  

Furthermore, has he seen ours?...

This is our Phase II.

Ask the staff how important this is in recruiting. 

• Upvote 3

I don't think anyone can deny that great facilities help in recruitment and better recruitment helps in better players. Just ask this year's hockey team.  :blink:   Sorry - had to throw that in there. But let's not stop at facilities. How about more money for coaches. How about another set of uniforms and helmets. How about doubling the band.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I don't think anyone can deny that great facilities help in recruitment and better recruitment helps in better players. Just ask this year's hockey team.  :blink:   Sorry - had to throw that in there. But let's not stop at facilities. How about more money for coaches. How about another set of uniforms and helmets. How about doubling the band.

I agree 100%.

But that is a completely separate fiscal issue for the annual budget.

However, UND Football alums will be privately fundraising for uniforms and helmets I believe this year.

UND Football alums alone raised north of 1.2 million dollars in the last year via the leadership of the National Football Alumni Committee which are earmarked for facilities (Phase II), priority needs, scholarships and endowments.

The UND Football endowment currently sits around 2 million.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I agree 100%.

But that is a completely separate fiscal issue for the annual budget.

However, UND Football alums will be privately fundraising for uniforms and helmets I believe this year.

UND Football alums alone raised north of 1.2 million dollars in the last year via the leadership of the National Football Alumni Committee which are earmarked for facilities (Phase II), priority needs, scholarships and endowments.

The UND Football endowment currently sits around 2 million.

All great things to hear. 

Plenty of aims for current funding, both short-term and long-term:

HPC Phase II (long-term), scholarships, coaches' salaries (short-term), uniforms and helmets (short-term)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Yeah...so? We still have more to do. 

ndsu's locker rooms, coaches offices and meeting rooms > UND Phase I in terms of recruiting.

Furthermore, has he seen ours?...

This is our Phase II.

Ask the staff how important this is in recruiting. 

I didn’t mean to be too brash. I agree facilities are important. They are. Though not as much as the proven commodity you put on the field, even given a crappy deck of cards. We had rotten luck with injuries this past year, but didn’t do ourselves any favors in HOW we played and adjusted to those injuries. If kid want to know how they will or will not be used, our play style does not boast confidence.

that being said it is always important to improve facilities and I am for it. BUT Bubba better have a tighter leash on Rudy this year. I would have liked Rudy gone after last season. If I see the same garbage again, I would like to see them both gone after this season. I’ve said before Bubbas chance to make a coaching change has come and gone. He made his decision and needs to be held accountable if it fails (again). I hope it succeed, but definitely needs to see some proof on the field.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I didn’t mean to be too brash. I agree facilities are important. They are. Though not as much as the proven commodity you put on the field, even given a crappy deck of cards. We had rotten luck with injuries this past year, but didn’t do ourselves any favors in HOW we played and adjusted to those injuries. If kid want to know how they will or will not be used, our play style does not boast confidence.

that being said it is always important to improve facilities and I am for it. BUT Bubba better have a tighter leash on Rudy this year. I would have liked Rudy gone after last season. If I see the same garbage again, I would like to see them both gone after this season. I’ve said before Bubbas chance to make a coaching change has come and gone. He made his decision and needs to be held accountable if it fails (again). I hope it succeed, but definitely needs to see some proof on the field.

HPC phase II funding and the coaching deficits are two separate issues, but they are just that: issues.

They need to both be addressed. 

• Upvote 2