SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

Taking a quality QB every year should be an absolute.   If we don't need him we can convert to other positions.    The very fact that Bubba isn't thinking long term on this makes me wonder what he has planned for himself in say 4 or 5 years?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRex said:

Taking a quality QB every year should be an absolute.   If we don't need him we can convert to other positions.    The very fact that Bubba isn't thinking long term on this makes me wonder what he has planned for himself in say 4 or 5 years?   

Although we have a couple of solid QB transfers and what should be a great battle for the starting spot this fall, signing 1 legit scholarship QB out of high school in the past 4 years doesn't reflect well on our head coach and maybe even more so, on our QB coach/offensive coordinator. 

I think Bubba is going to have a pretty tough decision in front of himself in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

Although we have a couple of solid QB transfers and what should be a great battle for the starting spot this fall, signing 1 legit scholarship QB out of high school in the past 4 years doesn't reflect well on our head coach and maybe even more so, on our QB coach/offensive coordinator. 

I think Bubba is going to have a pretty tough decision in front of himself in the near future.

He said it's a priority for 2019. 

He has a fairly acclaimed RSF in the system and by all accounts, 2 pretty good upper classmen. 

I'm not as concerned about this position as I am about the O Line as the best QB's in the world are not that good while laying on their back beneath D linemen and LB's.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:09 PM, Sioux94 said:

Well, we do have 4 very capable starters on the team right now, so I think they've done a good job at getting quality RB's.  Any of the 4 we have now are probably better than any other UND RB in the past 10 years.  I agree it would be good to try and get a scholly QB every year, however getting somebody just to get somebody isn't that good of an idea either IMO if they won't have a legitimate chance of contributing at that position .   Next year though, QB has to be a top priority.

Next year though ...

horrible strategy to always "wait for another year"

QB continues to be the most important position in football yet UND seems to be doing all it can to win without focusing on that position.

Would help if the offensive staff was enthused (and perhaps capable) about recruiting and developing the position. Instead they continue to push players out of the position (Mollberg, Heidlebaugh). I'm concerned with the offensive staff and their future vision.

We'll see how it turns out. The kid from Sac State better be as good as advertised. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, shep said:

He has a fairly acclaimed RSF in the system and by all accounts, 2 pretty good upper classmen. 

I'm not as concerned about this position as I am about the O Line as the best QB's in the world are not that good while laying on their back beneath D linemen and LB's.

A team should always have 5 qbs on the roster. Legit qbs not a couple of camp bodies for scout team. We lost two qbs this year so we should have brought in a scholarship one and a walk on.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shep said:

... the best QB's in the world are not that good while laying on their back beneath D linemen and LB's.

Just ask Joe Mollberg and Ryan Bartels. 

Not saying they're the best in the world, but they spent a lot of time either in that position or 'running for their lives'

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

He had an easy decision to make this offseason, and didn't make it.   

I don't think it's too hard to figure out why UND is not signing sought after FCS caliber QB recruits.  

I like Boltmans potential.  

Question for me is if your going to tie up 5 of 65ish scholarships on a position you can play one, do you take someone for the sake of getting a body or use the scholarship on a different position.  

I get the need for a QB each year but didn’t feel they were in position to reach for anyone this year. I also don’t know what QB offers they made early on if any. 

1 minute ago, homer said:

Question for me is if your going to tie up 5 of 65ish scholarships on a position you can play one, do you take someone for the sake of getting a body or use the scholarship on a different position.  

I get the need for a QB each year but didn’t feel they were in position to reach for anyone this year. I also don’t know what QB offers they made early on if any. 

They wouldn't all be full rides.  In fact, If I had to guess I would say right now only Ketteringham is a full.  Meaning they have around two scholarships invested into three QBs.  

2 minutes ago, homer said:

Injuries. Look at ILB this year. What if that happened to QB?

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think a team should always have 4 scholarship QBs. One redshirting and running the scout team as an emergency option. Kinda like what happened to Studsrud. 

Studs was really the #3 QB that year, but they listed him as 4th.  Can't remember his name, but whomever was 3rd wasn't a legit DI QB and was just a warm body QB on the roster because when push came to shove and the first two got hurt, they skipped him and went to Studs.  I guess it's ok to have a warm body QB on the roster as long as they aren't taking a scholarship because they can run the scout team.   Kind of have mixed feelings on that though, why have a guy at a position that isn't really ever capable of playing.   Sometimes I guess you never know with those PWO QB's, maybe you get lucky sometimes and get one who is good enough to play.  Would Bolinske have been able to play a couple of games if we ever needed him to after he had a couple years in the system?  I guess I've never paid close enough attention in the past if any PWO QB's really ever ended up playing at that position and contributed.  

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

Studs was really the #3 QB that year, but they listed him as 4th.  Can't remember his name, but whomever was 3rd wasn't a legit DI QB and was just a warm body QB on the roster because when push came to shove and the first two got hurt, they skipped him and went to Studs.  I guess it's ok to have a warm body QB on the roster as long as they aren't taking a scholarship because they can run the scout team.   Kind of have mixed feelings on that though, why have a guy at a position that isn't really ever capable of playing.   Sometimes I guess you never know with those PWO QB's, maybe you get lucky sometimes and get one who is good enough to play.  Would Bolinske have been able to play a couple of games if we ever needed him to after he had a couple years in the system?  I guess I've never paid close enough attention in the past if any PWO QB's really ever ended up playing at that position and contributed.  

I don't think there should be any warm bodies on the entire roster. Walk-ons should be on the team because they offer something of substance. Jake Hansen was the other qb and he was eventually moved to LB and made a contribution there on special teams and also had an INT. Point is, we need to be better at QB as a whole with every guy being capable of at least managing a game Brad Johnson style. 

13 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Hanson was next QB up. Good athlete from Grafton but not going to be a starting QB at this level. He could have finished the year for us and because we weren't going anywhere, that year, Pulling the redshirt on Studsrud was a mistake. Hanson could have handed the ball off and thrown for 35% completion which is what we got out of Studsrud. (not Studsrud's fault).  One of my biggest concerns is that we aren't developing our QB's.  If anyone thinks the fact that Mollberg, Bartels and Studsrud didn't  develop in our system doesn't hurt recruiting for QB's, I think you are wrong. Throwing Studsrud to the wolves at the end of his freshman year was a huge mistake.  Also the philosophy of wanting a QB who can " read defenses and hand the ball off " in a system where our Oline needs improvement isn't exactly a magnet for QB's. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

One of my biggest concerns is that we aren't developing our QB's.  If anyone thinks the fact that Mollberg, Bartels and Studsrud didn't  develop in our system doesn't hurt recruiting for QB's, I think you are wrong. Throwing Studsrud to the wolves at the end of his freshman year was a huge mistake.  Also the philosophy of wanting a QB who can " read defenses and hand the ball off " in a system where our Oline needs improvement isn't exactly a magnet for QB's. 

I thought it was great seeing Zimmerman, a QB who hadn't been ruined by Rudy's teachings, come in and throw the ball down the field last year.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Hanson was next QB up. Good athlete from Grafton but not going to be a starting QB at this level. He could have finished the year for us and because we weren't going anywhere, that year, Pulling the redshirt on Studsrud was a mistake. Hanson could have handed the ball off and thrown for 35% completion which is what we got out of Studsrud. (not Studsrud's fault).  One of my biggest concerns is that we aren't developing our QB's.  If anyone thinks the fact that Mollberg, Bartels and Studsrud didn't  develop in our system doesn't hurt recruiting for QB's, I think you are wrong. Throwing Studsrud to the wolves at the end of his freshman year was a huge mistake.  Also the philosophy of wanting a QB who can " read defenses and hand the ball off " in a system where our Oline needs improvement isn't exactly a magnet for QB's. 

Haven't seen much if any progress from QBs under Rudy. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, shep said:

So let's say they make it a priority and get one next year.  When we start MVFC play in 2020 boltman will be a junior and we will have a redshirt freshman at backup.  I suppose we could pick up a JUCO QB, but that can hit or miss.  Anyone remember Joey Bradley?

I think we can say there is a trend now with UND not being able to recruit the QB position well, and we can't expect to get quality JUCOs like Zimmerman very often.  I don't like where that leaves us, and hope Bubba and Rudy can see the writing on the wall.