SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

2 minutes ago, BAT67 said:

Should there be any concern with no quarterbacks in this group or is there enough on th roster to get through for 2 yra

We have 2 juniors and a redshirt freshman for next season. So it's not an immediate need, but I'd prefer we keep the pipeline full. 

13 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's like we actively avoid recruiting the qb position, and the rb position to a lesser extent

Well, we do have 4 very capable starters on the team right now, so I think they've done a good job at getting quality RB's.  Any of the 4 we have now are probably better than any other UND RB in the past 10 years.  I agree it would be good to try and get a scholly QB every year, however getting somebody just to get somebody isn't that good of an idea either IMO if they won't have a legitimate chance of contributing at that position .   Next year though, QB has to be a top priority.

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Well, we do have 4 very capable starters on the team right now, so I think they've done a good job at getting quality RB's.  Any of the 4 we have now are probably better than any other UND RB in the past 10 years.  

2 are seniors and 2 are juniors. Need to recruit for the future

37 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Well, we do have 4 very capable starters on the team right now, so I think they've done a good job at getting quality RB's.  Any of the 4 we have now are probably better than any other UND RB in the past 10 years.  I agree it would be good to try and get a scholly QB every year, however getting somebody just to get somebody isn't that good of an idea either IMO if they won't have a legitimate chance of contributing at that position .   Next year though, QB has to be a top priority.

Chappell and Murray played within 10 years.

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Chappell and Murray played within 10 years.

I was going to put a disclaimer saying I haven't gone back and looked at who all of our RB's were over the past 10 years, figured I'd probably be forgetting somebody.  Just seems like it has been a while since we've had some really good RB's....and now we've got 4, which is nice.  Hopefully the kid from Moorhead will be a stud. 

Talked to someone yesterday who knows Otis Weah and his background very well.  His take is Weah has great upside FB wise, comes to with lots of concerns with his personal background and is a marginal student at best. Thinks it's a flip of a coin if he makes it at UND. Said there was lots of babysitting of Weah at MHS over the years. Thinks Otis knows this is his only D1 shot so he's hopeful he takes full advantage of it.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Talked to someone yesterday who knows Otis Weah and his background very well.  His take is Weah has great upside FB wise, comes to with lots of concerns with his personal background and is a marginal student at best. Thinks it's a flip of a coin if he makes it at UND. Said there was lots of babysitting of Weah at MHS over the years. Thinks Otis knows this is his only D1 shot so he's hopeful he takes full advantage of it.

Actually took a look on BV and while there was no offer there, a lot of fans were really high on the guy. Hope he can be a stud for us.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The Forum has ran a couple articles on him (one from this fall and another from after he committed), laid out a lot of the issues he has had in the past and how he ended up in Moorhead. Pretty good story.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4338519-bond-between-moorheads-weah-and-his-mom-has-moved-refugee-camp-football-field

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4398484-moorhead-spuds-running-back-weah-chooses-und-football

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

I would prefer a QB in every class but as long as they get a QB they want in 2019, I don't think this is a issue.

Who's going to be our scout QB?  Don't we need a walk-on for that?  Let's not repeat the past of pulling our scout QB off the practice squad and start him the following week.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Who's going to be our scout QB?  Don't we need a walk-on for that?  Let's not repeat the past of pulling our scout QB off the practice squad and start him the following week.

I don't disagree with you but I am not ready to panic just yet. Maybe next year they bring in a Scholly QB and a walk on QB. Maybe they have a transfer in mind already. Who knows.