SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I feel like we have signed a bunch of TE over the past few years for a team that doesn’t really utilize the position in the pass game. Is this simply a band aid for the o line or do the coaches intend to pass a bit more?

They better.  Otherwise its a waste of scholarships that could be used for a QB.  

13 hours ago, nodak651 said:

They better.  Otherwise its a waste of scholarships that could be used for a QB.  

That was my thought. I'm ok with recruiting TE, and it looks like we have been hitting on some solid talent at that position. Just seems like with how many TE we recruit we could afford 1 scholly QB per season. I still cannot understand why this doesn't happen, given what we saw when Keaton went down. I do like the moves with Zim and Ketteringham, but still should be bringing 1 in per season. You can't assume you are going to hit on every kid, or that they are even going to stick with the program. Should be adding much more depth at that position for the future.

14 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I feel like we have signed a bunch of TE over the past few years for a team that doesn’t really utilize the position in the pass game. Is this simply a band aid for the o line or do the coaches intend to pass a bit more?

14 hours ago, nodak651 said:

If you spend all the scholarships on TEs, who'll pass the ball to them? ;) 

ok, so enough of this Steckler/Schobert stuff .... what else can we expect from the recruiting scene going forward? Any rumors floating around? Guys we are targeting specifically? FBS dropdowns (what happened to the Gopher LBs; I know one committed elsewhere)? JUCO Transfers? When does this dead period pick up? Do we have any recruiting weekends left?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

ok, so enough of this Steckler/Schobert stuff .... what else can we expect from the recruiting scene going forward? Any rumors floating around? Guys we are targeting specifically? FBS dropdowns (what happened to the Gopher LBs; I know one committed elsewhere)? JUCO Transfers? When does this dead period pick up? Do we have any recruiting weekends left?

We need a QB, RB and as always more OL. Edit: Linebackers too.

3 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

He’s graduating so that probably means another fbs program is in his future.

6 hours ago, ibleedgreen said:

Heck no, talk about a team cancer. No doubt he might have a lot going on in life but sounds like he has a horrible attitude and takes zero responsibility. Would rather have a kid with a little less raw talent and a better attitude that plays with heart.

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Heck no, talk about a team cancer. No doubt he might have a lot going on in life but sounds like he has a horrible attitude and takes zero responsibility. Would rather have a kid with a little less raw talent and a better attitude that plays with heart.

Amen!! I know nothing about this guy but I totally agree with Siouxfan512!

20 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

With the way things have been for the team this past year, that's enough reason for me.  Whether the team culture truly is off right now or not, the perception isn't good.

But also, we already have 2 seemingly capable juniors and a freshman.  Don't really need another upper classman.

Key word is seemingly.

Just like last season was "seemingly" a guaranteed playoff season. 

UND needs to get more talented across the board and never get complacent with the ability of the current roster, especially coming off a mere 3 win season.  

Now, in regards to the Iowa State player, his history definitely does raise some red flags that should be considered.

Moving forward, though, UND does need to consider more "select" FBS transfers for pure talent. 

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Key word is seemingly.

Just like last season was "seemingly" a guaranteed playoff season. 

UND needs to get more talented across the board and never get complacent with the ability of the current roster, especially coming off a mere 3 win season.  

Now, in regards to the Iowa State player, his history definitely does raise some red flags that should be considered.

Moving forward, though, UND does need to consider more "select" FBS transfers for pure talent. 

I'm sorry but I'm not convinced that FBS transfers are going to be the magical solution.    I'd rather get good ones in here as freshman and mold them to what we need.   I know, I know,  transfers are a quick fix, but I'm not  believing they are the best fix.   It might take us a year or two longer to get to the Promised Land with high school recruits but in the long run it will be better.   Flame away.

1 hour ago, TRex said:

I'm sorry but I'm not convinced that FBS transfers are going to be the magical solution.    I'd rather get good ones in here as freshman and mold them to what we need.   I know, I know,  transfers are a quick fix, but I'm not  believing they are the best fix.   It might take us a year or two longer to get to the Promised Land with high school recruits but in the long run it will be better.   Flame away.

I agree with you in that developing guys is the best route. Unfortunately at the moment we do not have enough depth so we need to take the fbs drop downs that would fit in well.