SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

To me this is the make/break season for the OL coach. If he can't get more productivity from his line, he needs to go. You can claim injuries for last season but for the past two seasons the offensive line has underperformed and have failed to really open any kind of lanes for our all-conference/american running backs. Yes, teams are stacking the box because the OC lacks any kind of imagination, but with that said they were doing the same thing three years ago and that line was opening massive holes. Get Santiago to the second level and all of a sudden you get your explosive offensive plays. 

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

So is it the guys, the injuries or the coaching?

Or just experience and the fact that we had 3, 4 or 5 really young men playing a position that strength and experience account for a lot of the results.  

Its not like we were just plugging in a RSFr or two up front unfortunately.  

Even with a tremendous offensive line, good defenses can stack the box and stop the run. Without top quarterback play, it becomes very difficult against the best teams.  Like I mentioned earlier, you need both quarterback play and offensive line play if you want to compete for championships. Sure you can still make the playoffs with a very good offensive line and average quarterback play, but who wants to settle for that? 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Even with a tremendous offensive line, good defenses can stack the box and stop the run. Without top quarterback play, it becomes very difficult against the best teams.  Like I mentioned earlier, you need both quarterback play and offensive line play if you want to compete for championships. Sure you can still make the playoffs with a very good offensive line and average quarterback play, but who wants to settle for that? 

Trent Dilfer? Brad Johnson? Jim McMahon? ;) 

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes generally speaking you do need pretty good QB play to win a Championship.  Zimmerman threw 3 TD's in the second half against Montana while getting 3rd string reps most of the year.  Ketteringham is supposed to be better than him, and I think it was Miller who said Boltmann is the best freshman he has seen at UND.  It appears next year we will be in pretty good hands and have better depth at QB than we've had in quite some time, but we'll have to wait and see how well they perform next year. 

36 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And you think Brookings, SD isn't in the middle of nowhere? I've been there, lots of nothing for miles around.

Dont disagree on Brookings being in the middle of nowhere :)    What I am saying is:  An athlete from the WI area can go to a 500 or slightly above MVFC team within 4 hours of home and play away games that are within an easy travel distance for families.  A parent could easily see all home and a few away games.   It is 9 hours from Madison to Grand Forks and until 2020 No away games are any closer.  Just an observation

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 12:00 PM, HSFootball Fan said:

Newbie here. Is UND close to done making offers?

No, but they should have communicated with the kids that still might get an offer.  Some scholarship dollars become available if a player leaves early or someone who was offered goes elsewhere.

50 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I'm aware, it's just a hard sell currently.

It is harder after finishing 3-8 that is for sure, but it can be done.  They would have had a connection with many of the players before the year started, hopefully.  The guys who are now Sophomores were recruited after our 5-7 season and there were some good ones in there such as Holm, Rodgers, Jade Lawrence, Cloyd and some others, plus Santiago and Brady O..  Actually if you look at that first true recruiting class for Bubba there are a lot of guys in there that have already contributed quite a bit for being underclassmen.   Obviously 3-8 is worse than 5-7 but we were also 9-3 the year before so perception wise it is maybe about a wash.   They can still land some good guys, although I am admittedly more nervous about our recruiting class this year than last year.  Need to take advantage of hitting recruiting early in the off season since our last regular season week was a bye and we aren't in the playoffs.  Get 'er done!