SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Union - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

20 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I watched the game and have to give huge props to Chris Wilke for selling his body out and blocking a heavy slap shot from the point, late in the 3rd. That one looked like it hurt too. Nicely done, Wilke.

That was a great effort play.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

For those that didn't pay for the webcast, here are the UND goals. There's no audio as I just used QuickTime to record my computer screen. So my apologies ahead of time, I'm not as good as Goon when it comes to posting highlights. :unsure:

I think they're great. The looked fine to me. If you could show me how did you did that... I am not familiar with QuickTime.

13 minutes ago, UND85 said:

Mahalo is thank you in Hawaiian. I spelled it wrong earlier, sun, and tropical drinks can do that. 

I knew where you were going even misspelled. I had family that lived in Kona for a few years.

11 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Union Coach on today's game: "It was men against pee wees."

Great quote, gives you some respect for their coach. At times UND controlled the puck like it was a bunch of dads playing against their kids. Pogo played like a big kid playing against squirts.

Before the game I wrote down the numbers of their big line so I could keep track. They are no doubt good and skilled, but they were not the "best line in the country" as they seemed to be billed. The Hobey committee should watch a replay of this game before they give #21 the prize. Maybe consider Pogo. I kept noticing their number 9 more than the numbers 21, 15 and 27 of whom I thought Foo was their best guy! I think if you had taken Jost and Boeser (both healthy) with Foo instead of his normal line mates and they played against us yesterday, we would have had a loss or a closer game. Take nothing away from Pogo, who I think is UND's best player, he always does what he is asked and never fails to excel. 

Such a big win to start the 2nd half of the season. 10-6-3 and ranked #9 in the pairwise is respectable with some of the inconsistent play we've seen so far and especially considering Boeser has either been playing hurt or out for the entire 1st half. This is a team that could win it all again in April. Some thing that need to happen.

• Boeser gets healthy, with Jost and a healthy Boeser you have two of the Top 5 players in the country on one team
  • 2nd line - Need Poganski and Gardner to play like they did yesterday every night. UND should be able to win the 2nd matchup on a nightly basis
  • Scoring depth - Need Hoff, Wilkie and company to start adding a goal a night from the 3rd and 4th lines
  • Special Teams - Simply needs to be better, positive is it can't be worse than it was in the 1st half

Defensively, they've built throughout the year. I really liked the line combinations last night. Wolanin wasn't great last night, but we've seen series like SCSU where he was the best Dman on the ice. We know what Cam can do, so no worries at goalie.

In general, although they've been on the wrong side of the scoreboard, they've played Duluth and Denver tough. They can play with anyone in the country. Let's watch this team slowly climb up the PWR rankings in the 2nd half. The regional in Fargo is as big of a home ice advantage as there is in the tourney. This will be a fun second half.  

I had such a good time in Schenectady! Their fans were awesome.  Heard a lot of compliments about UND.  I love that the team does these kind of games every so often. Vermont, Union..I love em. Next up, Yale? Plz???
Anyway, I thought Cam was tremendous. Made some big saves when we needed him the most. I actually heard some guys talking all game behind us say our defense was outstanding and that Cam was playing lights out.  They also said their players were playing scared, like kids against UND....I suppose their coach thought the same thing. Overall, great game.  Just keep the momentum!

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:35 AM, TrueSioux2000 said:

I had such a good time in Schenectady! Their fans were awesome.  Heard a lot of compliments about UND.  I love that the team does these kind of games every so often. Vermont, Union..I love em. Next up, Yale? Plz???
Anyway, I thought Cam was tremendous. Made some big saves when we needed him the most. I actually heard some guys talking all game behind us say our defense was outstanding and that Cam was playing lights out.  They also said their players were playing scared, like kids against UND....I suppose their coach thought the same thing. Overall, great game.  Just keep the momentum!

Did you stick around Schenectady for NYE? It sounded like it was a pretty quiet town based on Schloss' travel blog.

15 hours ago, keikla said:

It was.

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Schenectady hasn't been the same since General Electric moved a lot of their operations out of there. 

Just surprising to me that a city approx. the size of Grand Forks was so quiet, especially if the college only takes up a small % of that.

20 hours ago, franchise said:

Been really impressed with how Casey is developing.  Seems like he stuck out the first month with a really bad turnover each game.  Now he's been sticking out for breaking up an odd man rush.

I know Schlossman mentioned Casey as well in his game notes as a person who has really improved throughout the year. Coming into the year, this freshman D-core was definitely the least heralded I can ever remember at UND, from a "hype" or junior accolades position. Having both Poolman and Johnson step up this year is not only crucial to this years success, but also more importantly for years to come. I really like what I've seen from both lately.

On 1/1/2017 at 6:18 AM, mattim said:

Before the game I wrote down the numbers of their big line so I could keep track. They are no doubt good and skilled, but they were not the "best line in the country" as they seemed to be billed. The Hobey committee should watch a replay of this game before they give #21 the prize. Maybe consider Pogo. I kept noticing their number 9 more than the numbers 21, 15 and 27 of whom I thought Foo was their best guy! I think if you had taken Jost and Boeser (both healthy) with Foo instead of his normal line mates and they played against us yesterday, we would have had a loss or a closer game. Take nothing away from Pogo, who I think is UND's best player, he always does what he is asked and never fails to excel. 

Gonna agree with your comments about Spencer Foo. He deserves a lot more credit.