SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

Too many posts to quote, but a few thoughts on MN/ND debate.

Haven't seen Hermantown this year, but Central would probably win MN class A.  AA I would think they could do well, but I haven't seen the AA schools this year.  The better debate is if they are better than 2014 EGF first state title team.  I would pay a lot of money to watch that and I think EGF wins as they didn't let great teams take very many shots. That EGF team could've competed very well at AA state and if I'm not mistaken they had against those schools during bantams (before AA split?)  Sometimes the smaller towns catch lightning in a bottle.  Keep in mind that year EGF went down to #1 ranked AA Blaine and beat them and turned around on half day rest to play St. Cloud Cathedral (can't remember result).  Hell it might have been flipped and they beat Blaine in afternoon after night game.  I heard Blaine was so pissed they asked to come to EGF the next year and play the one game.  And yes they drove through blizzard to lose again.  

Things go in streaks and that is why you don't move to AA.  Roseau travel is stupid they have to do and they haven't been having as much success. What always helped was how bad rest of 8AA was.  Warroad used to dominate with their recruits.  Lately quite mediocre since last couple Canadians left. (BTW their girls team has a lot of Canadians including best players).

This year NW MN hockey might be the worst it's ever been.  This year's EGF team may not have finished in top half of section last year, though by scores it seems they've played well against other solid A schools.  TRF lost 16 layers from last year and has giant hazing issue to deal with.  Warroad has no scoring.  Almost every team had to replace a goalie.  AA isn't much better though Moorhead seems solid.  Bemidji has upped game but tries to goon it up too much.  EGF and Moorhead should make state and then we will see what happens.  Moorhead I will guess struggles.  EGF right around 4 or 5 but I wouldn't be surprised if finish higher or lower.  

Oh and I think a combined GF team would do fine at AA state and there have been years / teams that could've certainly won it all.  One thing to remember in MN is that sometimes it's harder to get out of own section than winning state.  This was the case for EGF second state title.  And for the Cities AA schools this is a huge issue year in and year out.

6 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

congrats to Bismarck high...looking to lead the west to that elusive 4th title in 50 years...

In all seriousness, it is great to see the west having some recent success.  It is only good for the game in ND.

Just having western teams in the semifinals every year is a major improvement over what we've seen in the past.  The EDC tournament used to be more competitive than the state tournament.  

Central is now 51 minutes away from taking their place in history alongside the 1966-67 Central and 2015-16 Red River teams.

Keep the game simple, don't be reckless with the puck and try to be pretty with it. Play loose and have fun; many teams and players will never get a chance to experience what you will experience tonight. Relish it, it will come and go way too quickly.

Prediction:

Central 5

Bismarck 2

Go Knights!!!

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Central is now 51 minutes away from taking their place in history alongside the 1966-67 Central and 2015-16 Red River teams.

Keep the game simple, don't be reckless with the puck and try to be pretty with it. Play loose and have fun; many teams and players will never get a chance to experience what you will experience tonight. Relish it, it will come and go way too quickly.

Prediction:

Central 5

Bismarck 2

Go Knights!!!

I'll say Central 4, Bismarck 3. 

8 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Too many posts to quote, but a few thoughts on MN/ND debate.

Haven't seen Hermantown this year, but Central would probably win MN class A.  AA I would think they could do well, but I haven't seen the AA schools this year.  The better debate is if they are better than 2014 EGF first state title team.  I would pay a lot of money to watch that and I think EGF wins as they didn't let great teams take very many shots. That EGF team could've competed very well at AA state and if I'm not mistaken they had against those schools during bantams (before AA split?)  Sometimes the smaller towns catch lightning in a bottle.  Keep in mind that year EGF went down to #1 ranked AA Blaine and beat them and turned around on half day rest to play St. Cloud Cathedral (can't remember result).  Hell it might have been flipped and they beat Blaine in afternoon after night game.  I heard Blaine was so pissed they asked to come to EGF the next year and play the one game.  And yes they drove through blizzard to lose again.  

Things go in streaks and that is why you don't move to AA.  Roseau travel is stupid they have to do and they haven't been having as much success. What always helped was how bad rest of 8AA was.  Warroad used to dominate with their recruits.  Lately quite mediocre since last couple Canadians left. (BTW their girls team has a lot of Canadians including best players).

This year NW MN hockey might be the worst it's ever been.  This year's EGF team may not have finished in top half of section last year, though by scores it seems they've played well against other solid A schools.  TRF lost 16 layers from last year and has giant hazing issue to deal with.  Warroad has no scoring.  Almost every team had to replace a goalie.  AA isn't much better though Moorhead seems solid.  Bemidji has upped game but tries to goon it up too much.  EGF and Moorhead should make state and then we will see what happens.  Moorhead I will guess struggles.  EGF right around 4 or 5 but I wouldn't be surprised if finish higher or lower.  

Oh and I think a combined GF team would do fine at AA state and there have been years / teams that could've certainly won it all.  One thing to remember in MN is that sometimes it's harder to get out of own section than winning state.  This was the case for EGF second state title.  And for the Cities AA schools this is a huge issue year in and year out.

Central would be one of the top contenders to win Minnesota class A this season but it would be a battle with Hermantown and Breck or Delano. AA if they were in 8AA I don't think they would get out of the section. I've watched both Central and Moorhead a few times each this year and think Moorhead would beat them but it would be kind of a coin flip game although basically everything in 8AA has been a coin flip aside from Moorhead in the 2nd half of the season. All quarterfinal games except for the Moorhead/Rogers game were 1 goal games including a OT and 2 OT game. Moorhead is the best team in 8AA and should get to state but strange things happen at playoff time. The past few years 8AA has been very good at the top but this year there is much more depth to the section and still a very good team at the top. Moorhead can compete if they get to state too. Their top line is very good and does the majority of the scoring they also have a solid goalie and a very good defensive group. Moorhead is also a pretty young team and has some very talented kids coming up so they might be a team that is really a year away from being a state championship contender if all of their talent stays in Moorhead. They have played some good AA schools and had success beating the #2 team in the state Holy Family 6-1, Minnetonka 9-5, Grand Rapids 4-0, and Hill Murray 4-3. I just hope Roseau can win at Albertville today and Moorhead beats Brainerd today to set up another great battle at The Little Ralph in Thief River Wednesday. Roseau would maybe be the favorite in this section this year if Ben Helgeson who is committed to Wisconsin I believe stayed in Roseau instead of transferring to Hill Murray.

You are completely right about 8A being real down this year. I don't know if the section has ever lost a 1st round game in the state tournament but this year that may be in jeopardy. EGF has the most talent but is a pretty inconsistent team and nobody in the section really has a player or goalie that can take over the game which has been pretty common the last few seasons. If the top seeds win each of the sections it looks like EGF would be in the 4/5 game likely facing St.Cloud Cathedral who they tied earlier this season.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Central will overcome whatever they need to overcome to win this game. Too much is on the line. These kids are sick of finishing 2nd. I don't care if Bismarck has the second coming of Patrick Roy or not, the Knights will prevail.

I fully expect them to win but I like to go against the grain sometimes. ;)

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Congrats Bismarck!  3-2 in OT.  

Bismarck's goaltender the story of the game.  Tremendous. 

Kessler's dad is good friend. I must be getting old because it didn't seem that long ago that Zach was shagging fly balls during batting practice for the Bellerud Transport softball team and then getting a few swings in as we were packing up to go play.

Go Demons!

Bismarck will probably take a bit of the Minot approach except for they will play the body like its a lost art.  They will hit Central from the second they step off the bus. 

I think Central's goalie is the key.  He won't see a ton of pucks, but Bismarck's top kids will get their chances, and if he's up to the task Bismarck faces a steeper hill than they already have.  

I'm sticking to Central wins 4-3. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Bismarck up 3-0.  On their way to their third championship in a row.  

Girls HS hockey should be embarrassed with Bismarck having just ONE team.

3 public HS and 2 private HS. Ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Girls HS hockey should be embarrassed with Bismarck having just ONE team.

3 public HS and 2 private HS. Ridiculous.

I know a few girls coaches in the state and they completely agree.  Plus I've heard they've got a pretty good U19 team.   

• Upvote 1