SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Western Michigan

AZSIOUX

10 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

So we're sitting our All-American forward so he can be healthy to play for Team USA?  That doesn't sound quite right to me.  Wouldn't he sit until he's healthy enough to go? Regardless of which team is on the schedule?

Or he's just not ready, but plans to be for the WJC.

Wins are most important, but there are other factors that relate to the interests of the program.  First of all, we benefit from the exposure our players get on that stage,  Second, players who aspire to getting the big stage are drawn to college programs that will help make that happen.  The only conflict of interest I can see is the drafting team's confidence that we will take care of their product.  But I suspect the school is really not in complete charge of whether the player will participate in the WJs--only the conditions we will let them play under in intercollegiate play.  

Sounds a bit like bullshat when I read that back.   :D

12 minutes ago, burd said:

Wins are most important, but there are other factors that relate to the interests of the program.  First of all, we benefit from the exposure our players get on that stage,  Second, players who aspire to getting the big stage are drawn to college programs that will help make that happen.  The only conflict of interest I can see is the drafting team's confidence that we will take care of their product.  But I suspect the school is really not in complete charge of whether the player will participate in the WJs--only the conditions we will let them play under in intercollegiate play.  

Sounds a bit like bullshat when I read that back.   :D

No, it makes sense...I'm just saying he won't play ANY games until he's healthy.

On December 8, 2016 at 6:19 PM, petey23 said:

Thanks for the insight. I like what Murray has done at Western Michigan and believe he played a style of hockey with the hand he had when he got there and has now built his program to play the style he prefers. Great coach! Had a great time at the St. Paul regional a few years back. Had a beer or six with Brian Tulik, Bob D'Amelio, and the other guys name escapes me. I have to make a trip to Kalamazoo for a series sometime and of course Bell's Brewery!

It seemed like WMU was a home for quite a few Fargo Force players so it was fun to keep track of how they developed(Fleming, Goff, Dienes, Hargrove(one of my favorite Force players)). Obviously kept on eye on Cichy after he left UND. Has McKee been injured this year or just not playing? I know if a skirmish breaks out and he is on the ice the best advice would be to stay as far away from him as possible.

Now sit down over there while everyone here dazzles you with their obviously superior hockey minds and questions or belittles everything you write.

interrogation.png

unbelievable.

McKee has been a healthy scratch for the majority of the year, until recently.  Part of this is due to the influx of talent this year and a decision to field more speed/puck passion orientated team and with the way they are calling games this year, the college hockey game does not fit big Mike.  He needs to playing a "bigger game", where he can play physical and not get called for crushing a guy along the boards as they turn their back to try and avoid getting hit by McKee.  At 6'5" 255#, not a lot of 5'9-10" defensemen are willing to do this.  

Mike is also still trying to make that adjustment from playing defense to forward, which is what Detroit wants.  For a big guy, he is really fast North/South and pretty good hands.  He figured out how to really protect the puck down low and along the boards, good luck trying to knock him off the puck.  

But to his credit, he got an opportunity to get back into the line up recently, played very well.  Played fast, displined hockey and avoid those pitfalls that seem to attract him.  Had a nice assist and goal in Saturday game vs SCSU, so who knows, maybe we will see him in Grand Forks

And your right about his fighting ability, which is the number 1 reason Detroit drafted him, which is strange considering Detroits history.  One thing is for sure, I don't think he will lose many fights when he does turn pro.

On December 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM, as15 said:

I'm really not trying to argue, but I have an extremely hard time believing that the Chicago Blackhawks, arguably the best organization in the NHL, told one of their bottom-tier forward prospects (Iacopelli) that if he scored 15 goals (coming off a one goal season as a 21 year old freshman!) he would be given an NHL contract.  I'll admit that I don't know enough about Molino to comment, and I know Allison is a good prospect as I followed him in the USHL.  No offense to WMU, but everything about these guys points to them being above-average college players (similar to Poganski, Gardner, etc. on UND), and not the elite NHL prospects you are playing them out to be. 

For context, Drake Caggiula (now with Edmonton) played 4 years for UND, is 5 months younger than Molino.  Due to the age differences in NCAA hockey, age has to be factored into each players production to help project success at the pro levels.  A 22 years old player putting up .75 PPG in the NCAA will have a hard time getting an NHL contract.  I am not going to give you examples, as there are undoubtedly hundreds.

we could debate on the fine players all night, which isn't why I post some information regarding some of the "impact" WMU players.  Was just trying to illustrate that along with some of the personal changes, Western is very much a different team.  They still play a very structured game, but with a lot more speed and skill.

And re Iacopleeli & Chic, it's not your opinion or my opinion that matters, there's only one that does.  As they say, "straight from the horse mouth".  But in this case, you would say heard it "straight from the Hawks mouth".  Considering the source, you can bank on it.  Let's just agree to visit this topic end of season....

I wouldn't fault Brock Boeser at all for sitting out until he's healthy AND playing World Juniors if he is 100%.  You only get so many chances to win a gold medal for your country.  Regardless of what WE think his priority should be as a player, the World Junior Tournament is a once-or-twice in a lifetime opportunity for those who are lucky enough to be selected.  

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I wouldn't fault Brock Boeser at all for sitting out until he's healthy AND playing World Juniors if he is 100%.  You only get so many chances to win a gold medal for your country.  Regardless of what WE think his priority should be as a player, the World Junior Tournament is a once-or-twice in a lifetime opportunity for those who are lucky enough to be selected.  

Agreed.

19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

It would kill some on here if they found out Boeser came back mainly for the World Junior Tournament. No I'm not saying that's why....but what if?

2 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

It would kill some on here if they found out Boeser came back mainly for the World Junior Tournament. No I'm not saying that's why....but what if?

When we go after these high draft picks,we know we run the risk of early departure.   If it weren't worth the risk we wouldn't take it.  If most people were given the option of getting a nattie in exchange for losing him the next year, they'd take the banner without any hesitation whatsoever.  Let him do whatever is good for him.   In the UND/Brock Boeser deal, there have been no losers, even if he leaves after WJ.   

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

amen

12 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Last night's game was good

Kinda a weird atmosphere at times dead quiet then we really got into it - I would say we were hungry for the win at home :silly:

Not sure if anybody else paid as close attention to this but during the initial presentation of the colors I swear I could've heard a pin drop in the building..never ever heard the Ralph that quiet. Only for it to be ruined by a fellow student yell "I love you Mark" before MJL sang.