SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Western Michigan

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, as15 said:

I'm really not trying to argue, but I have an extremely hard time believing that the Chicago Blackhawks, arguably the best organization in the NHL, told one of their bottom-tier forward prospects (Iacopelli) that if he scored 15 goals (coming off a one goal season as a 21 year old freshman!) he would be given an NHL contract.  I'll admit that I don't know enough about Molino to comment, and I know Allison is a good prospect as I followed him in the USHL.  No offense to WMU, but everything about these guys points to them being above-average college players (similar to Poganski, Gardner, etc. on UND), and not the elite NHL prospects you are playing them out to be. 

For context, Drake Caggiula (now with Edmonton) played 4 years for UND, is 5 months younger than Molino.  Due to the age differences in NCAA hockey, age has to be factored into each players production to help project success at the pro levels.  A 22 years old player putting up .75 PPG in the NCAA will have a hard time getting an NHL contract.  I am not going to give you examples, as there are undoubtedly hundreds.

Didn't Chicago offer to sign Luke Johnson after his sophomore year, which was very middle of the road. He signed after his Junior year and he wasn't close from being a star at the college level at that time either. Teams are willing to sign players to an ELC just to get them in their system and see if they have what it takes (most of them don't). I wouldn't doubt that the three BroncoHeard mentioned could sign if they wanted to. It's far from a guarantee that they'll make the show. Both the player and the teams might think they could develop better in the minors. 

• Upvote 1

As far as this weekend goes, UND at 8-5-3 is at this point where they need to really start putting some separation between their W's and L's. 10-5-3 going into Christmas break looks a lot better than 9-6-3. Need a home sweep this weekend.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

For the sake of college hockey, let's hope these guys stay. It's a big reason schools like Western aren't perennial contenders. The few great talents they get bolt early. It happens to UND (we complain about it constantly) but und has the tradition and reputation for reloading. I'd love to see Western rise in the conference, but losing these underclassmen early isn't going to help.

Agree with your sentiments, and it's true Sioux fans are lucky in the way you describe.  But right now, with Boeser out, this UND lineup is hardly loaded.   I like the team, and I like their chances of getting in the tourney and doing some damage, but the lineup is not full of top end talent. 

But we are only one game off of BU's pace, I think, and that lineup is full of blue chippers.   You never know. 

2 hours ago, BroncoHeard said:

Some players to watch:

Sr. Rebry & JR. Tiffels (Pitt) are two of the fastest players on the ice.  Expect a few breakaways from one or both.  Not sure who else will be skating on thier line as Muir (Edmt) is most likely out for the year with a freak/scary injury when a UMD player went head over feet kicking his blade up in the air and slicing Muir's forearm.  Pretty serious injury. When Muir was in the line up, this was WMU best line, a handful. 

So. Molino, one of the best forwards in college hockey right now.  He's fast, skilled, great shot and poised.  Controls the game when he is on the ice.  One of the most sought after college NHL free agents right now, will be gone after this year.  

So. Iacopelli (Chic), big strong power LH forward who this year is now playing a 200' game and reaping the benefits.  He's got a NHL bomb of a shot, which is one of the reasons he's got 13 goals this year in only 14 games.  He's gone after this year also.

Fr. Allison (Phil), another big strong RH power forward who is surprisenly fast for his size.  I see why Philly took him early in the second round, another player whom I see leaving after this year.  

Fr. McGing, a small, crafty speedy forwarded who can create.  18 year old baby face (looks like a high school sophomore) just now making that adjustment to college hockey and starting to make a real impact

Fr. Courtnall (NHL Russ Courtnall kid).  Prolly the fastest player on the team, really hard working forward, excellent on the PK, has had several breakaways.  For this kid to be on a fourth line really says something about the other three lines,  but make no mistake when he is on the ice, he makes an impact

Fr. Lee, smooth skating/puck moving power play defensemen.  

There are several others who are also very fast/skilled skating players like Sr. D-Fleming (second on team in points) JR. D-Stoykewych, So. D-Schuenaman and So. F-Conrad, along with some sand paper in several other players.  In all, just a deeper and much quicker/skilled team.  

Thanks for the insight. I like what Murray has done at Western Michigan and believe he played a style of hockey with the hand he had when he got there and has now built his program to play the style he prefers. Great coach! Had a great time at the St. Paul regional a few years back. Had a beer or six with Brian Tulik, Bob D'Amelio, and the other guys name escapes me. I have to make a trip to Kalamazoo for a series sometime and of course Bell's Brewery!

It seemed like WMU was a home for quite a few Fargo Force players so it was fun to keep track of how they developed(Fleming, Goff, Dienes, Hargrove(one of my favorite Force players)). Obviously kept on eye on Cichy after he left UND. Has McKee been injured this year or just not playing? I know if a skirmish breaks out and he is on the ice the best advice would be to stay as far away from him as possible.

Now sit down over there while everyone here dazzles you with their obviously superior hockey minds and questions or belittles everything you write.

interrogation.png

unbelievable.

• Upvote 2

Look, I expect the Broncos to put up a good fight, but traditionally, they're very boring hockey team to watch play. They're big, slow forwards and defenseman that play a trap style of hockey. I also think in the past the refs have let them get away with a lot of obstruction. Also, UND is one of the bigger teams this season, too... But UND needs to put these guys away and get six points. 

NATION’S LARGEST TEAMS - BY WEIGHT Rk. Team AVG. LBS

1. Western Michigan...........................198.63

2. Michigan.......................................................196.61

3. Maine.............................................................196.46

4. Minnesota Duluth.....................................195.37

5. Cornell...........................................................195.07

6. North Dakota ..................................194.81

7. Arizona State...............................................193.93

8. Massachusetts-Lowell .............................193.67

9. RIT...................................................................193.69

10. Wisconsin.....................................................193.69

Per Schloss.........don't expect to see Shaw or Boeser again this weekend. 

IMO if Brock isn't healthy enough to play this weekend he has no business going to play in the WJ tournament. 

This series has split...at best...written all over it. This team has been too bipolar so far to date to expect anything else.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

IMO if Brock isn't healthy enough to play this weekend he has no business going to play in the WJ tournament. 

This series has split...at best...written all over it. This team has been too bipolar so far to date to expect anything else.

Agreed, if he's not good to go for this weekend I think you have to skip WJC.  Sure, it's a great tourney and opportunity but his health for UND's stretch run is 10X more important. And it's not like he needs the exposure, he'll be playing in a Canucks uniform this time next yr whether he goes to WJC or not.

26 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Agreed, if he's not good to go for this weekend I think you have to skip WJC.  Sure, it's a great tourney and opportunity but his health for UND's stretch run is 10X more important. And it's not like he needs the exposure, he'll be playing in a Canucks uniform this time next yr whether he goes to WJC or not.

Does anyone know exactly what happened to his wrist? I am just curious, because it must be pretty serious to miss this much time. He probably would have been better off breaking his wrist initially. Sometimes those serious sprains can nag and drag on for much longer. With him being out this long, I am also assuming it must be his top hand as he could probably get by if it was his bottom hand other than slap shots. 

1 minute ago, keikla said:

It's possible Boeser just returned to a satisfactory level of health.  So do you bring him back for a series against one of the most physically demanding teams in the league at the risk of losing him for the rest of the season?  Nope.

WMU and the competition at the WJC are two very, very different styles of play.

I bet he will play at WJC, and that is probably a big reason why he isn't playing this weekend. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Goon said:

Look, I expect the Broncos to put up a good fight, but traditionally, they're very boring hockey team to watch play. They're big, slow forwards and defenseman that play a trap style of hockey. I also think in the past the refs have let them get away with a lot of obstruction. Also, UND is one of the bigger teams this season, too... But UND needs to put these guys away and get six points. 

NATION’S LARGEST TEAMS - BY WEIGHT Rk. Team AVG. LBS

One trip to Taco Bell by any of them and those rankings will go up ... and down. ;):D

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I am sure the Minnesota Wild would have preferred that Parise not play in the World Cup of Hockey after his injuries down the stretch last year, but sometimes the allure of playing for your country and having another lifetime experience is going to play into your decisions.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I would be blown away if he wasnt ready by the WJC.  It's one of the main reasons he came back.

In saying that though, you'd think the WJC coaches would like to see him play prior to the tourney.  I've read that Motzko wanted to make sure Keller got in a few games prior to the tourney (sounds like Keller may play tonight).  I bet we see Boeser on Saturday night.  If we don't this injury is probably worse than a lot of us thought.  

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Does anyone know exactly what happened to his wrist? I am just curious, because it must be pretty serious to miss this much time. He probably would have been better off breaking his wrist initially. Sometimes those serious sprains can nag and drag on for much longer. With him being out this long, I am also assuming it must be his top hand as he could probably get by if it was his bottom hand other than slap shots. 

Not sure if it's a break or sprain but you've definitely noticed him not being as crafty on the breakaways he's had since the Bemidji St penalty shot. Just went five hole each time and got stuffed each time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Not sure if it's a break or sprain but you've definitely noticed him not being as crafty on the breakaways he's had since the Bemidji St penalty shot. Just went five hole each time and got stuffed each time.

For sure. Easy to forget he's hurting when he's on a lone break and picks a corner instead of making a move.

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

No, it happened prior to the UM series though.  I believe it's his bottom (right) hand.  He puts a ton of torque on the bottom hand to snap off his shot so hard.

4 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I bet he will play at WJC, and that is probably a big reason why he isn't playing this weekend. 

So we're sitting our All-American forward so he can be healthy to play for Team USA?  That doesn't sound quite right to me.  Wouldn't he sit until he's healthy enough to go? Regardless of which team is on the schedule?

• Upvote 3

Just now, Blackheart said:

So we're sitting our All-American forward so he can be healthy to play for Team USA?  That doesn't sound quite right to me.  Wouldn't he sit until he's healthy enough to go? Regardless of which team is on the schedule?

As others have mentioned, it could be due to the style of play in college hockey (specifically in the NCHC; even more specifically vs. WMU) compared to the limited number of body/stick checks he's likely to encounter at the World Juniors.

Dave