SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Western Michigan

AZSIOUX

48 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If the UND team that was there from around the 4 minute mark of the third period in NYC shows up for the start of this one theres no doubt its a sweep.  

If the UND team that made Ed Minney (who?) into an All American goaltender for MSU shows up then we've got more Fire Berry threads and bring Dean back talks after Western gets the tcos (copyright Hammer).

Just heard Boeser now changing U.S. citizenship, and will play for Canada at World Juniors, and from there head to the Windsor Spitfires.  Rumor of course.  

37 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Heard the same thing...sounds like it's a done deal.  :(

I heard the same, but it was the London Knights, not the Spitfires per my source.

Looking forward to this weekend, should be a very good series.  

Broncos are very different team than what the Sioux have seen in the past, as they are quicker/faster and more skilled.  Last weekend vs SCSU, it was "ALL Broncos" as the puck was in the SCSU d-zone for the most part of 6 periods.  Friday night the SCSU goalie stood on his head, played an incredible game and stole one for his team.  Saturday he was back to reality giving up 5 goals.  Western should of swept SCSU, but could only manage to pick up 2 points.  

WMU goal tending is still a question mark, which has been there biggest issue over the last 3 1/2 years prior to this year.  Early on, freshman Blacker got the starts, played well enough to get the Broncos some wins, but was sidelined with illness.  Then Sophomore Gorsuch stepped in, played very well up until the Air Force Series were he struggled.  Then entered Carlolina prospect Olson who played his first game of the year after "double" hip surgery last year and picked up his first win vs Air Force.  But last weekend, both Gorsuch and Olson played vs SCSU and gave up several bad angle shots.  

1 hour ago, BroncoHeard said:

Broncos are very different team than what the Sioux have seen in the past, as they are quicker/faster and more skilled.  Last weekend vs SCSU, it was "ALL Broncos" as the puck was in the SCSU d-zone for the most part of 6 periods.  Friday night the SCSU goalie stood on his head, played an incredible game and stole one for his team.  Saturday he was back to reality giving up 5 goals.  Western should of swept SCSU, but could only manage to pick up 2 points.  

WMU goal tending is still a question mark, which has been there biggest issue over the last 3 1/2 years prior to this year.  Early on, freshman Blacker got the starts, played well enough to get the Broncos some wins, but was sidelined with illness.  Then Sophomore Gorsuch stepped in, played very well up until the Air Force Series were he struggled.  Then entered Carlolina prospect Olson who played his first game of the year after "double" hip surgery last year and picked up his first win vs Air Force.  But last weekend, both Gorsuch and Olson played vs SCSU and gave up several bad angle shots.  

Thanks for stopping by BroncoHeard and providing a little insight.  Yes, this is probably the best WMU team I've seen since the days of Danny Dekeyser when we eeked out a win in the 2012 West Regional in St Paul.

We will need to get to the Broncos goaltenders early and often. Get bodies in front of the net and make it tough to see the puck.  Also, we may be missing Brock Boeser, our 60 pt scorer from last year, which would really make it tougher for us.

I'll say that I'm hoping for a sweep as it's at the Ralph but a split or a win/tie wouldn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, BroncoHeard said:

I actually prefer playing teams like this vs. the clutch-grab-blocking-tackling teams. The action flows back and forth and is very fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I actually prefer playing teams like this vs. the clutch-grab-blocking-tackling teams. The action flows back and forth and is very fun to watch.

It's God awful hockey, hard to watch. In the past, I thought the Western games were boring. I'd rather watch the types of game UND played against SCSU, B.C., and Denver. 

40 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yeah, same here.

Some players to watch:

Sr. Rebry & JR. Tiffels (Pitt) are two of the fastest players on the ice.  Expect a few breakaways from one or both.  Not sure who else will be skating on thier line as Muir (Edmt) is most likely out for the year with a freak/scary injury when a UMD player went head over feet kicking his blade up in the air and slicing Muir's forearm.  Pretty serious injury. When Muir was in the line up, this was WMU best line, a handful. 

So. Molino, one of the best forwards in college hockey right now.  He's fast, skilled, great shot and poised.  Controls the game when he is on the ice.  One of the most sought after college NHL free agents right now, will be gone after this year.  

So. Iacopelli (Chic), big strong power LH forward who this year is now playing a 200' game and reaping the benefits.  He's got a NHL bomb of a shot, which is one of the reasons he's got 13 goals this year in only 14 games.  He's gone after this year also.

Fr. Allison (Phil), another big strong RH power forward who is surprisenly fast for his size.  I see why Philly took him early in the second round, another player whom I see leaving after this year.  

Fr. McGing, a small, crafty speedy forwarded who can create.  18 year old baby face (looks like a high school sophomore) just now making that adjustment to college hockey and starting to make a real impact

Fr. Courtnall (NHL Russ Courtnall kid).  Prolly the fastest player on the team, really hard working forward, excellent on the PK, has had several breakaways.  For this kid to be on a fourth line really says something about the other three lines,  but make no mistake when he is on the ice, he makes an impact

Fr. Lee, smooth skating/puck moving power play defensemen.  

There are several others who are also very fast/skilled skating players like Sr. D-Fleming (second on team in points) JR. D-Stoykewych, So. D-Schuenaman and So. F-Conrad, along with some sand paper in several other players.  In all, just a deeper and much quicker/skilled team.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2016 at 11:06 AM, Wilbur said:

Just heard Boeser now changing U.S. citizenship, and will play for Canada at World Juniors, and from there head to the Windsor Spitfires.  Rumor of course.  

What is the strategy behind changing citizenship.   Other than Trump.  :)

13 minutes ago, BroncoHeard said:

Some players to watch:

Sr. Rebry & JR. Tiffels (Pitt) are two of the fastest players on the ice.  Expect a few breakaways from one or both.  Not sure who else will be skating on thier line as Muir (Edmt) is most likely out for the year with a freak/scary injury when a UMD player went head over feet kicking his blade up in the air and slicing Muir's forearm.  Pretty serious injury. When Muir was in the line up, this was WMU best line, a handful. 

So. Molino, one of the best forwards in college hockey right now.  He's fast, skilled, great shot and poised.  Controls the game when he is on the ice.  One of the most sought after college NHL free agents right now, will be gone after this year.  

So. Iacopelli (Chic), big strong power LH forward who this year is now playing a 200' game and reaping the benefits.  He's got a NHL bomb of a shot, which is one of the reasons he's got 13 goals this year in only 14 games.  He's gone after this year also.

Fr. Allison (Phil), another big strong RH power forward who is surprisenly fast for his size.  I see why Philly took him early in the second round, another player whom I see leaving after this year.  

Fr. McGing, a small, crafty speedy forwarded who can create.  18 year old baby face (looks like a high school sophomore) just now making that adjustment to college hockey and starting to make a real impact

Fr. Courtnall (NHL Russ Courtnall kid).  Prolly the fastest player on the team, really hard working forward, excellent on the PK, has had several breakaways.  For this kid to be on a fourth line really says something about the other three lines,  but make no mistake when he is on the ice, he makes an impact

Fr. Lee, smooth skating/puck moving power play defensemen.  

There are several others who are also very fast/skilled skating players like D-Fleming (second on team in points) D-Stoykewych, and F-Conrad, along with some sand paper in several other players.  In all, just a deeper and much quicker/skilled team.  

So you're telling me that three underclassmen (Molino, Iacopelli, and Allison) are going to leave early for the pro's?  You do realize that only 10 underclassmen (FR and SO), on average, leave the NCAA early for an NHL contract.  I could see Allison signing an NHL contract and playing in Major Junior next year, Molino has mediocre below PPG production for a 22 year old sophomore, and I just can't see the Blackhawks wasting a contract spot on a sophomore NCAA player that won't be ready for the NHL for another two years, if ever.

UND's Shane Gersich (Sophomore), is outscoring all three players by quite a bit, and I don't think anyone here is expecting to lose him after this year.  It's just not how the NHL works unless you are a first rounder or an absolutely elite, proven player at the NCAA level (think Danton Heinen, back to back 45+ point seasons his freshman and soph years).

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, as15 said:

So you're telling me that three underclassmen (Molino, Iacopelli, and Allison) are going to leave early for the pro's?  You do realize that only 10 underclassmen (FR and SO), on average, leave the NCAA early for an NHL contract.  I could see Allison signing an NHL contract and playing in Major Junior next year, Molino has mediocre below PPG production for a 22 year old sophomore, and I just can't see the Blackhawks wasting a contract spot on a sophomore NCAA player that won't be ready for the NHL for another two years, if ever.

Molino is a free agent, could of signed last year, declined.  His game has improved tremendously since last year and trust me when I say, he's the real deal.  Toyed with UMD and SCSU.  NHL scouts lineup in the hall way after every game to get to this kid. I'm sure he's gone next year.

Iacopelli (Chic) was told earlier this year if he scores 15, they sign him.  He's at 13 now, so 15 is in his back pocket.  He's got a bomb of a shot and unlike last year, playing a 200' game, going to get the puck and making things happen.  

Allison (Philly) is the only one who depending how the season goes might come back for another season, but I think there is a better chance he won't return. Very complete power forward. 

28 minutes ago, BroncoHeard said:

Molino is a free agent, could of signed last year, declined.  His game has improved tremendously since last year and trust me when I say, he's the real deal.  Toyed with UMD and SCSU.  NHL scouts lineup in the hall way after every game to get to this kid. I'm sure he's gone next year.

Iacopelli (Chic) was told earlier this year if he scores 15, they sign him.

Don't get me wrong, they both seem like very legitimate players putting up decent numbers in a tough conference. But "NHL scouts lining up in the hall way after every game to get to this kid" ? He is well below 1.0 ppg 2 seasons and counting and I don't even remember him when we played last season to be honest? A comment like that seems to be a little over exaggerated. Does he bring something to his game to make up for his play making and goal scoring abilities to attract all of this attention? Are scouts accidentally lining up in the wrong hallway when other teams come to play? 

Also- An NHL team basing their signing or not signing of a kid based off a very specific amount of goals to get in a season also seems a little...how do I say this...wrong. There are many many many more things that go into wanting a certain player in your club. Promising him a contract completely based on hitting a specific goal mark (mediocre goal mark) seems so unrealistic it's embarrassing to hear that is thought to be anything more than a silly rumor.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, BroncoHeard said:

Iacopelli (Chic) was told earlier this year if he scores 15, they sign him.  He's at 13 now, so 15 is in his back pocket.  He's got a bomb of a shot and unlike last year, playing a 200' game, going to get the puck and making things happen.  

Allison (Philly) is the only one who depending how the season goes might come back for another season, but I think there is a better chance he won't return. Very complete power forward. 

I'm really not trying to argue, but I have an extremely hard time believing that the Chicago Blackhawks, arguably the best organization in the NHL, told one of their bottom-tier forward prospects (Iacopelli) that if he scored 15 goals (coming off a one goal season as a 21 year old freshman!) he would be given an NHL contract.  I'll admit that I don't know enough about Molino to comment, and I know Allison is a good prospect as I followed him in the USHL.  No offense to WMU, but everything about these guys points to them being above-average college players (similar to Poganski, Gardner, etc. on UND), and not the elite NHL prospects you are playing them out to be. 

For context, Drake Caggiula (now with Edmonton) played 4 years for UND, is 5 months younger than Molino.  Due to the age differences in NCAA hockey, age has to be factored into each players production to help project success at the pro levels.  A 22 years old player putting up .75 PPG in the NCAA will have a hard time getting an NHL contract.  I am not going to give you examples, as there are undoubtedly hundreds.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, as15 said:

I'm really not trying to argue, but I have an extremely hard time believing that the Chicago Blackhawks, arguably the best organization in the NHL, told one of their bottom-tier forward prospects (Iacopelli) that if he scored 15 goals (coming off a one goal season as a 21 year old freshman!) he would be given an NHL contract.  I'll admit that I don't know enough about Molino to comment, and I know Allison is a good prospect as I followed him in the USHL.  No offense to WMU, but everything about these guys points to them being above-average college players (similar to Poganski, Gardner, etc. on UND), and not the elite NHL prospects you are playing them out to be. 

Although, if you push Gardner and Poganski up to be needed as the offensive leaders of the team by having them on the first line and PP, I am guessing they would put up better numbers than these two WMU players are. Almost certain better physicality as well. But again, I shouldn't judge too deeply because I have never heard of either and don't remember them from last season. I will watch closer this year to make further comments I suppose. 

1 hour ago, BroncoHeard said:

You know who else toyed with UMD and SCSU? Matt Frattin and he's in the AHL right now

I guess my point is that strong success in the NCAA does not necessarily mean automatic rights to play with the best players in the world.

Also, just want to point out I'm not trying to be contrarian for the sake of it. I do appreciate insight on the Broncos. Now I know who to keep my eye on this weekend!

For the sake of college hockey, let's hope these guys stay. It's a big reason schools like Western aren't perennial contenders. The few great talents they get bolt early. It happens to UND (we complain about it constantly) but und has the tradition and reputation for reloading. I'd love to see Western rise in the conference, but losing these underclassmen early isn't going to help.

• Upvote 1