Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Fetch

So after the MSG game

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

No there isn't a Fighting Hawks cheer at a football game, but at the Alerus there is a spot to buy Hawks gear, how much Hawks gear is available at the Sioux shop in the REA? After a TD there are fireworks and a Hawk screech. Is there a Hawks screech after a goal? The Alerus has embraced the nickname a lot more than the REA. Bubba is seen wearing a Hawks cap, hawks shirt. I don't think I have ever seen Brad Berry with anything Hawk related. I guess next year we will see if the REA and Fighting Hawks hockey is ready to embrace the new name with a Hawk on center ice, a Hawk on the jersey, and Hawks gear in the Sioux shop. Like I said give it about 5 years.

I think I remember you posting on here when BB had a Hawks hat on in an interview and you had to clean your underwear! Yes, he has wore hawk gear.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Classic clueless answer....I was there this weekend....how about you. Plus 50 students went on my dime.

I got to say this is the best response to a PATHETIC post I have read in a very long time! I think I heard two sounds after reading this one, the hit to Darrell and two, Darrell hitting the floor!:lol:

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I went to two football games this year. Do you need directions to the Alerus since you never go anywhere besides the REA?

Settle down super fan

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

This is ridiculous... When it come down to it we are supporting Univeristy of North Dakota athletics.

What a great time to be a UND fan (Hawks, sioux, I don't care)

UND hockey won its 8th national title, off a win at the MSG, young team that has pontential  to be very good...

UND football hosted it first D1 Home playoff game at the Alerus, disappointing result but excited for next year, amazing what Bubba has done with this program...

UND volleyball made the NCAA tourney, great season...

UND Mens and Women's basketball teams will also be good this year...

the-rock-clapping.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Ever notice the people never satisfied with the attendance, are the same people never satisfied with how those in attendance are cheering?  Or what they're wearing?  Let's live and let live.   This is North Dakota, not North Korea. 

Amen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone can give me a good reason why it's a good idea to have part of your fanbase cheer for one name and the other part cheer for the other, I'd like to hear it. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If anyone can give me a good reason why it's a good idea to have part of your fanbase cheer for one name and the other part cheer for the other, I'd like to hear it. 

In the over all scheme of things, it's probably not the best for UND. Kind of  leaves a feeling of division. Attrition is part of this equation, have you noticed nobody cheers for the Flickertails anymore.  In this country we have freedoms, message board moderators, and self control as to how you shoot your arrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

In the over all scheme of things, it's probably not the best for UND. Kind of  leaves a feeling of division. Attrition is part of this equation, have you noticed nobody cheers for the Flickertails anymore.  In this country we have freedoms, message board moderators, and self control as to how you shoot your arrow.

My Grandmother who lived to be 95 liked the Flickertail name and was not overly thrilled when they changed the name to Sioux.  Must have been confusing to have half the crowed cheering for the F'Tails and the other half chanting for the Sioux.  Of course they had bigger things to worry about back then, like the Depression and WWII.:)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NoDaks said:

While being a current student here at UND, I grew up attending every football game and most hockey games, always called them the Sioux. Right or wrong, (probably wrong), I will always call them the Sioux, just something that won't change for me. It's very obvious that the students who are from around North Dakota or Minnesota still call them the Sioux, while students not from around here call UND the Hawks. Either way, you are judged for what you say is the nickname you decide, but for me, it's how i was brought up, even being much more than just a hockey fan. I have called UND the Sioux for over 20 years, and that isn't going to change, but i understand why the name had to go. It is very frustrating but the name wont come back and people need to get that, but as long as they were a fan prior to 2012, I'm fine with people calling UND the Sioux. Just my observations on campus and what i believe, whether you like it or not.

Welcome to America!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If anyone can give me a good reason why it's a good idea to have part of your fanbase cheer for one name and the other part cheer for the other, I'd like to hear it. 

It's probably not a good idea but that's what we are stuck with so try to make the best of it.  BTW, we are all cheering for UND!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If anyone can give me a good reason why it's a good idea to have part of your fanbase cheer for one name and the other part cheer for the other, I'd like to hear it. 

Probably not a good reason but I started school at UND in 1984 and will probably also refer to UND as the Sioux or North Dakota. Sorry, not sorry.

It certainly didn't help when they ignored the vast majority of alum and stakeholders and rammed a crappy, generic name that had 8% support down everyones throat and then as if to double down picked out an insanely horrible logo.

The only version of the new nickname that I have a small amount of affinity for is The F'N Hawks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I think I remember you posting on here when BB had a Hawks hat on in an interview and you had to clean your underwear! Yes, he has wore hawk gear.

I don't remember that. If I said it please repost it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If anyone can give me a good reason why it's a good idea to have part of your fanbase cheer for one name and the other part cheer for the other, I'd like to hear it. 

I see it on Facebook in different UND sports pages someone will say go Fighting Hawks and someone else comments this *Sioux, or you mean Fighting Sioux. If the person meant Sioux they would have put it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried to not use the old nickname, the five-letter "S" word, other than in reference to geographical places ever since Standing Rock didn't come to support UND in its time of need. 

I do it not against UND; I do it to forget and ignore bad neighbors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I have tried to not use the old nickname, the five-letter "S" word, other than in reference to geographical places ever since Standing Rock didn't come to support UND in its time of need. 

I do it not against UND; I do it to forget and ignore bad neighbors. 

I wear Sioux gear but call them the Fighting Hawks. I will never get rid of my Sioux gear, but have and will buy more Fighting Hawks gear. I support UND no matter what name they are called. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I have tried to not use the old nickname, the five-letter "S" word, other than in reference to geographical places ever since Standing Rock didn't come to support UND in its time of need. 

I do it not against UND; I do it to forget and ignore bad neighbors. 

To be fair, Spirit Lake absolutely did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

To be fair, Spirit Lake absolutely did.

Fair?
The Fair is in Minot. 

Spirit Lake went mute when UND needed them to speak up one more time. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Fair?
The Fair is in Minot. 

Spirit Lake went mute when UND needed them to speak up one more time. 

Lol ok. They voted in favor of keeping the nickname, hell of a lot more than Standing Rock did.

But it's dead and gone so no point getting worked up about it, already been through that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, darell1976 said:

No there isn't a Fighting Hawks cheer at a football game, but at the Alerus there is a spot to buy Hawks gear, how much Hawks gear is available at the Sioux shop in the REA? After a TD there are fireworks and a Hawk screech. Is there a Hawks screech after a goal? The Alerus has embraced the nickname a lot more than the REA. Bubba is seen wearing a Hawks cap, hawks shirt. I don't think I have ever seen Brad Berry with anything Hawk related. I guess next year we will see if the REA and Fighting Hawks hockey is ready to embrace the new name with a Hawk on center ice, a Hawk on the jersey, and Hawks gear in the Sioux shop. Like I said give it about 5 years.

Isn't it ironic...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×