SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

51 minutes ago, AJS said:

Don't read this article then. 

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4344415-und-quarterback-picture-remains-unclear

Some quotes:

"We're going to see how (Studsrud) comes along this week," Schweigert said. "We took a look at Brad and Andrew's performances and evaluated that. We'll give them both reps this week and make a decision later in the week."

"We thought both got better as the game went on," Schweigert said. "They both have a different skill set.

Bubba is losing me, if Studs can't go him even considering starting Heidelbaugh is one of the craziest things I've ever heard. Did he not watch the first half last week??

It will be zimmerman.  Bubba can’t just say to the media, yeah heidelbaugh is not good.  No reason to call him out publicly and also would call attention to Bubba and Rudy’s judgement in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

I sincerely hope this is just coach speak. 

Same and I'm sure it was, probably an overreaction on my part until we see what happens on Saturday. I mean I don't expect him to rip Heidelbaugh, he did the best he could, but him going with Heidelbaugh in the first place the Montana game is a decision that won't easily be forgotten. 

I hope we can go a whole game without an injury, it’s a tall order but if we can get through this game with a win and no injuries it would be like winning the Super Bowl. We need starters to come back, we can’t go the season with third string players. Yes it gives them experience but we do need our starters back.

45 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I hope we can go a whole game without an injury, it’s a tall order but if we can get through this game with a win and no injuries it would be like winning the Super Bowl. We need starters to come back, we can’t go the season with third string players. Yes it gives them experience but we do need our starters back.

Super Bowl huh!  

1 minute ago, ajries18 said:

Through 7 games our FBs/RBs have a combined 9 receptions.   Considering how often we are behind on the scoreboard, this is ridiculous.  Opponents don't even have to consider covering our running backs on pass plays.

Santiago alone should have 15 by now.

1 hour ago, ajries18 said:

Through 7 games our FBs/RBs have a combined 9 receptions.   Considering how often we are behind on the scoreboard, this is ridiculous.  Opponents don't even have to consider covering our running backs on pass plays.

There's a lot of work to do with the offense from an ingenuity standpoint. That was the case last year too despite the 9-3 season; the defense held their own. This season without good defensive play, the offense's ineptitudes really standout.  

• Upvote 2

Typical pass play is: 

Studs locks on receiver; if receiver not open Studs runs (also because the line is not great and he doesn't have a lot of time) there is no check down to the RB's. A swing pass to Santiago might be something to put in the playbook, but Studs would need to look downfield and not at Santiago.

I agree we should look to get a guy like Santiago in space on a screen pass. And also why on earth would we not target Cloyd more at TE, I know our offense never targets tight ends or rbs out of the backfield, but with these kind of weapons an offense needs to adjust to that and get out of our old habits!!

It almost seems like this team is trying more not to lose by 30-40 then win the game (like if they lose by 20 its ok??). They need to set up a game plan and adjust with the players they have out on the field, not the players they wish they had.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, AJS said:

http://kfgo.com/blogs/und-football-360/30670/four-games-left-what-i-want-to-see-happen/

Agree with everything Kelly said, but I have a couple of other things. Does everyone think it's more important for Mortel to get every snap at LT or rotate him with Bennett? Same goes with Russo, for all I know that's what they are planning on doing. 

I disagree with one point they made. They advocate subbing in Ngyuan more often for Stockwell. Nate already sees a couple of series each game at G and has had some snaps at center so he is getting experience. Most of all, though, because Stockwell is a senior and has given his body to the program he has earned the right to play. The man doesn't practice during the week because his body is so beaten down, and he plays hurt - and plays well - each week. In my opinion the staff has handled the rotation well so far - give Nate some experience, let AJ play the majority of the game when his body allows. AJ has earned it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 10/18/2017 at 6:27 PM, LeaveNoDoubt said:

I agree we should look to get a guy like Santiago in space on a screen pass. And also why on earth would we not target Cloyd more at TE, I know our offense never targets tight ends or rbs out of the backfield, but with these kind of weapons an offense needs to adjust to that and get out of our old habits!!

The operative word here is "adjust".

I feel like it's more the middle of May right now than mid October.  There is no football show to watch during the week anymore (so fricking lame), and given how the season has gone the the board on here has been kind of dead compared to what it would normally be this time of year.  At times it almost feels like we are in the off season right now......ugh.   Looking forward to watching the game on Saturday though. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, Milford torgerson said:

I'm going to contradict the last two sentences of your post.  The legislature gives us damb near twice the money or funding as su if you include the Med school and the 30 million from the student loan trust account.  Being able to tap the student loan trust fund displays how the legislature is  willing to go above and beyond for this system and that has always been and will continue to be.   Because of this there will be growth, but not to 20000 students. There is a lot of love in Bismarck for UND

The quality of UND health care programs, all of them, speaks for itself.  Just talking to am alum, who I have known for a long time. Did not know she went to UND for PT.  The 'immediate family" has 5/6 alum and all their children, now high school age, are coming to UND for campus visits. Enough said!

• Upvote 1

I can still remember all the FB hype (after winning 34-0 a week prior) just before arriving in Vermillion!!!   And, many fans expecting an E. Wash. conference show down at the Hawk's Nest on Nov. 11th (now our only home game left). 

Did our coaches know we were in grave danger before we got off that bus in SD?

When did our coaches realize our team is in serious trouble (above the injuries), or will that happen next week? Seems like we still have most of the same game philosophy we had against Utah?

This team still has 3 games to go, and lately, somehow seems hard to follow the game through to the final play. So many things go wrong during a game. Just seems there's more to this sad story as the season plays out. A slip and slide of this magnitude, from last season's comparisons, surely could have many contributing factors. And what's really puzzling to me, is that the coaches can't grasp what needs to be done and how to move forward. And, how about, to go for the win from the very start of the game? 

Took a lot to build a winning team, and winning helped to build a good fan base, both are in jeopardy today. 

24 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

When did our coaches realize our team is in serious trouble (above the injuries), or will that happen next week? Seems like we still have most of the same game philosophy we had against Utah?

This is the whole chicken/egg issue of the season.

I think the injuries could never be anticipated to such a magnitude, so there was no way to prepare for them.

The other "issues" are NOT issues IF the injuries are not so severe and the team keeps winning. IF the injuries had not occurred AND the team was losing like they are, then the other "issues" need to be examined. 

I guess I'm not sure the other "issues" exist without the injury induced losses. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, shep said:

I think the injuries could never be anticipated to such a magnitude, so there was no way to prepare for them.

The other "issues" are NOT issues IF the injuries are not so severe and the team keeps winning. IF the injuries had not occurred AND the team was losing like they are, then the other "issues" need to be examined. 

I guess I'm not sure the other "issues" exist without the injury induced losses. 

For one, failure to improvise when the best aren't out there. It's easy to coach when you have no injuries and the starters are experienced, but thats not reality in football - players get hurt and miss games.  The best coaches consitently win for such reasons, in addition to recruiting depth that allows a program to withstand such injuries. Unfortunately, some feel it takes 10 years to acquire 2 to 4 classes worth of depth ... doesn't make sense unless you're an apologist. 

6 minutes ago, shep said:

IMO the other "issues" will never allow the type of cohesive team needed to put your best product on the field consistently.  If a few guys are not as focused as they need to be that can be overcome but when too many guys are not football focused you end up with a train wreck like this season is turning out to be. 

Also needs to be wholesale change in play-calling and adapting to personnel and what the other team is giving us.  At times the offense is just plain ugly and the defense can't stop the run.  A team at any level will never win consistently if they cant stop the run.