SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

3 hours ago, homer said:

Lol.  Any team that had this many starters out would go from a favorite to a bottom feeder.  Other teams have really good players too.  We have guys who were #3 in the depth chart last spring at some positions players 50+ snaps a game.  Those guys should be special teasers getting the occasional rep.  

Im sure you are smart enough to understand the trickle down this has when you go through a whole game.  

The reason of the injuries is another discussion though 

LOL is right.  UND whines and complains.  Meanwhile, NDSU replaces injured starters with all-stars - as freshmen.

recruiting, Recruiting, RECRUITING!

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4343921-freshman-cox-introduced-himself-starting-lineup-against-youngstown

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I know I've said this before but I think we have too many nice guys on this team. Or at least guys who play like nice guys. We need a bunch of dogs out there. I just don't see enough of them right now.

I completely agree.  It is tougher to be a dog on the field when you are over matched physically and mentally.

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I completely agree.  It is tougher to be a dog on the field when you are over matched physically and mentally.

I don't agree with that last part. Either you have it or you don't regardless of size or experience. Like Kuksa before he broke his neck. True fr but had something in him that others didn't.

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

LOL is right.  UND whines and complains.  Meanwhile, NDSU replaces injured starters will all-stars - as freshmen.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4343921-freshman-cox-introduced-himself-starting-lineup-against-youngstown

He’s a redshirt freshman.  He certainly would not be considered the new kid on the block with UND’s current ILB lineup.  Hunt and Rastas, they are both his age and Rastas has now started 5 games.

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Reminds me of the Hanson vs Hendrickson situation from 2012. The team felt Hendrickson was better. The coaches leaned towards Hanson.

Night and day difference between that and this year.  Hanson threw for 660 yards in one game that season. Hendrickson Hanson could be seen as a toss up.  You can't say that this year.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don't agree with that last part. Either you have it or you don't regardless of size or experience. Like Kuksa before he broke his neck. True fr but had something in him that others didn't.

Maybe, but a guy like Rastas while busting his ass, would probably never start if it was not for the injuries to O’Brien, Rodgers, Hunt and Larson.  I am not talking about just this year, I mean ever.  Tough to be too mean when you are getting pancakes lots of plays and just don’t have the wheels to get there.

Just now, Sioux95 said:

Night and day difference between that and this year.  Hanson threw for 660 yards in one game that season. Hendrickson Hanson could be seen as a toss up.  You can't say that this year.

Look at the EWU game from that year. The results were polarizing. Marcus shredded EWU on the first drive. Then they put in Hanson who was a sitting duck. After trying to platoon them for a few series Marcus told them to just pick one. They chose Hanson and we got blown out. 

4 hours ago, homer said:

Lol.  Any team that had this many starters out would go from a favorite to a bottom feeder.  Other teams have really good players too.  We have guys who were #3 in the depth chart last spring at some positions players 50+ snaps a game.  Those guys should be special teasers getting the occasional rep.  

Im sure you are smart enough to understand the trickle down this has when you go through a whole game.  

The reason of the injuries is another discussion though 

I just don't agree. Yes, the number of injuries is concerning and, rightfully so, will affect results; however, UND is completely dysfunctional right now. They are getting blown out. This is not purely on injuries because the backup players are incapable as well. In a year or two, some of these players may improve and even be all-Conference types, but the scheme and plan that is being put in place currently doesn't help the current situation. Why no depth at QB? Why no depth at corner? Why is the defensive line - arguably the strength of the team during the preseason - not anchoring the defense? The defense has been horrible with the DL intact. There are many issues going on; the bottomline is UND is 2-5 during a season they were picked to be BSC champions. 

41 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

LOL is right.  UND whines and complains.  Meanwhile, NDSU replaces injured starters with all-stars - as freshmen.

Yeah, having more than half the starting lineup on the shelf is the exact same thing as having a handful of injuries total. Thanks for clearing that up. :silly:

13 minutes ago, shep said:

From the Bison LB article

Going five deep at the position group is something they haven't done since their rise to FCS power starting with the 2010 playoffs.

5 Deep is still better than 7-8 deep. 

How different everything could be with O’Brien, Rodgers, Hunt and Larson.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yeah, having more than half the starting lineup on the shelf is the exact same thing as having a handful of injuries total. Thanks for clearing that up. :silly:

Says the guy who snarked on Hakstol for not winning national hockey championships when the same injury bug hit his teams, but I digress...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I snarked on Hak a LOT for not winning nattys. I admit that.

If Bubba has a fairly healthy team next year and the results are the same as this year, I'll be all over it.

Maybe. 
No titles in a couple years is one thing. No titles in 10 is another.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Says the guy who snarked on Hakstol for not winning national hockey championships when the same injury bug hit his teams, but I digress...

Hakstol did NOT have more than half his lineup on the shelf during his fruitless trips to the Frozen Four. Big Washington State Apples vs. Little Miniature Oranges.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Now take away an all American safety and corner.  Put another 3rd stringer next to him starting and a converted safety at the other LB spot.   

Not even the same ballpark comparison.  I'd compare him to plugging Grady into our OL last year or Santiago the year before.  Other pieces around so they don't have to do everything.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shep said:

I snarked on Hak a LOT for not winning nattys. I admit that.

If Bubba has a fairly healthy team next year and the results are the same as this year, I'll be all over it.

Maybe. 
No titles in a couple years is one thing. No titles in 10 is another.

This is my feeling on the FB team as well.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Hakstol did NOT have more than half his lineup on the shelf during his fruitless trips to the Frozen Four. Big Washington State Apples vs. Little Miniature Oranges.

Not all of his teams made Frozen Fours...

The fact of the matter is that UND football has become almost irrelevant in the discussion of D1 football in the state.  And that's an image problem that will not be fixed overnight.  I don't care if the excuse is injuries or the Alerus imploding...another NDSU national title this season will only add to the perception.

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Not all of his teams made Frozen Fours...

The fact of the matter is that UND football has become almost irrelevant in the discussion of D1 football in the state.  And that's not an image problem that will be fixed overnight.  I don't care if the excuse is injuries or the Alerus imploding...another NDSU national title this season will only add to the perception.

Nobody said it would be fixed overnight. But that is what some people on here want. It doesn't work that way, especially in a team sport like football.

So what is your solution? Get rid of the program? The ship for doing that has sailed. You don't build an indoor practice facility big enough for FB and then get rid of the program.

Like it or not, we have no choice but to make this program a success. And our time will come.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

So what is your solution? Get rid of the program? The ship for doing that has sailed. You don't build an indoor practice facility big enough for FB and then get rid of the program.

Like it or not, we have no choice but to make this program a success. And our time will come.

I don't know what the solution is.  If I did, I'd be a highly-paid consultant at Vanderbilt, Indiana, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Arizona, Kentucky, or some other school trying to do the exact same thing - become a college football powerhouse name.

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't know what the solution is.  If I did, I'd be a highly-paid consultant at Vanderbilt, Indiana, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Arizona, Kentucky, or some other school trying to do the exact same thing - become a college football powerhouse name.

Moving up to Division I in all sports means we cannot treat every non-hockey sport as a red-headed stepchild anymore. If we want to do that, we should move down to D-II and join the NSIC. Then we'll get to watch our team in the Thursday Night NSIC Game of the Week on MidcoSN!!! :silly: