SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

This is a huge need.  Need more guys in the 280-310 lb range.  I think Morrison, Seguin and Ott will be in that range by next year and as sophs for sure. 

Bennett should be by now. Same with Wilson. Our DEs should but built like Schmitz and our DTs should be like Tank +20lbs.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Bennett should be by now. Same with Wilson. Our DEs should but built like Schmitz and our DTs should be like Tank +20lbs.

This is exactly right.  Makes me question the S&C and the commitment, etc.  IF Bennett was 270 like he should be he would be an absolute beast.

33 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

This is a huge need.  Need more guys in the 280-310 lb range.  I think Morrison, Seguin and Ott will be in that range by next year and as sophs for sure. 

I have really liked sequin from the practices I've attented and he's a big thick dude.  Ott needs to add at least 20 more lbs  I love his twitch though. 

11 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I have really liked sequin from the practices I've attented and he's a big thick dude.  Ott needs to add at least 20 more lbs  I love his twitch though. 

Ott has a really nice twitch. I hope he and the other fr are hitting the weights extra hard and licking their chops to leapfrog the underachieving upperclassmen

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Ott has a really nice twitch. I hope he and the other fr are hitting the weights extra hard and licking their chops to leapfrog the underachieving upperclassmen

Yeah the upperclassmen as a whole have been busy being injured or underachieving.  Dranka and Greeley have been nearly nonexistent.  I really feel tank needs the weight that he lost and put it back on.  

Where will Bubba ball go from here?  Who would have thought going into this season on October 15, UND would be 2-5 and that the closest loss would have been in Salt Lake City?

IMO the worst part of this season is the deflation in the support for the program.  I can’t imagine the difference in enthusiasm there will be for Eastern Washington vs what the Alerus Center was like for the Potato Bowl.  This was going to be the season UND took the next step to becoming an elite fcs program.

4 big games to go, as a I said yesterday, need to find a a way to pull out 2 of them.  Not going to be easy to do.

EVERY part of the program will need to be re-evaluated after melt down on this scale.

Obviously the coaching staff will need to looked at and some significant changes will need to be made in personnel and scheme. (looking back makes me wonder if Coach Maurice knew something else the rest of us did not)

Strength & Conditioning

Fall Camp practice

In season practice

Spring practice

Recruiting and retention

Player development and evaluations

Player expectations and discipline 

Training and Medical staff and procedures and Rehab

in game management

What did I miss?  it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the next 10 months.  I don’t believe in “luck”.  There can be a bad bounce or two but there is more to this meltdown than that.  This season happened for reasons some of which we probably don’t grasp yet.  What happened this season can never be allowed to happen again.

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Where will Bubba ball go from here?  Who would have thought going into this season on October 15, UND would be 2-5 and that the closest loss would have been in Salt Lake City?

IMO the worst part of this season is the deflation in the support for the program.  I can’t imagine the difference in enthusiasm there will be for Eastern Washington vs what the Alerus Center was like for the Potato Bowl.  This was going to be the season UND took the next step to becoming an elite fcs program.

4 big games to go, as a I said yesterday, need to find a a way to pull out 2 of them.  Not going to be easy to do.

EVERY part of the program will need to be re-evaluated after melt down on this scale.

Obviously the coaching staff will need to looked at and some significant changes will need to be made in personnel and scheme. (looking back makes me wonder if Coach Maurice knew something else the rest of us did not)

Strength & Conditioning

Fall Camp practice

In season practice

Spring practice

Recruiting and retention

Player development and evaluations

Player expectations and discipline 

Training and Medical staff and procedures and Rehab

in game management

What did I miss?  it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the next 10 months.  I don’t believe in “luck”.  There can be a bad bounce or two but there is more to this meltdown than that.  This season happened for reasons some of which we probably don’t grasp yet.  What happened this season can never be allowed to happen again.

Player leadership.  Your typing about all this stuff and obviously connected to inside the locker room so the players all know about it.  

Where is their leadership?  These off the field things didn't start this year.  It's amazing how players turn their heads when they are winning but things get magnified when losing.  

After a day to digest another disappointing performance, have to say that on the bright side, I was mostly impressed by how the defense played at least in the first half yesterday.  They did their part early on against a team that is tough defend.  Had Studsrud been playing I say there is a good chance we have the lead at the end of the first quarter, and it would have been a totally different game at the half. 

I was really impressed by Cam Hunt, and he really looks the part too.  Would be really fun to have both Hunt and Rogers on the field at the same time.

I thought the offensive line was terrible yesterday.

Like most, I can't understand why Zimmerman didn't get the start at QB.  Looks like the kid can make all the throws.  

Drops by receivers continue to be an issue.

I have asked this before, but why does it seem like we are blitzing so much less than in the past?  I get that the guys on the field are young, inexperienced, and it is a complex scheme so they are maybe playing it more conservative.  But what they have been doing the past several weeks hasn't been working.  I find myself counting how many pass rushers we send on every play, and 70% of the time it is 3 or 4.  Last two years it seemed like 70% of the time we were sending an extra guy or more.  Montana's Jensen is a talented guy, but he is still a freshman.  The few errant passes he tossed yesterday happened when he was getting pressured.  This year the D looks a lot more like Kotelnicki's version of the 3-4 than the Schmidt's, which wasn't very good.

10 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I thought Zimmerman looked good which was nice to see after watching our disaster of an offense in the first half. The rest....I need to process a bit more.

Who decides the starters head coach or position coaches?

1 hour ago, homer said:

Player leadership.  Your typing about all this stuff and obviously connected to inside the locker room so the players all know about it.  

Where is their leadership?  These off the field things didn't start this year.  It's amazing how players turn their heads when they are winning but things get magnified when losing.  

I agree with evaluating player leadership or lack thereof,  I think that is one of those things that has to happen organically and I don’t think it has been there since the end of last season.  Maybe losing O’Brien really hurt in that I don’t know.

I think the off the field problems are there or lurking on every college football team. Some of it is the nature of 18-23 year old men.  It needs to be held in check though and when the school, football, social priorities gets flipped and the social part takes over it affects everything else.  When it gets flipped to the degree that I believe it has, things can really be affected.  

The off the field crap has nothing to do with the coaching staff playing heidelbaugh over Zimmerman.  That decision raises all kinds of questions.   And yes like someone else said, the players all know who is better at that position especially, just like most probably know who is focused on football and who is not.

The depth on this team is horrid. I've been steadfast with this and nothing from yesterday will change my mind. Yes, the injuries have been horrible, but I can't understand how people just don't see what's going on here. You shouldn't go from Big Sky favorite to bottom-feeder when the starters get hurt. You need to have competent back-ups and UND has essentially walk-ons at all the 2nd string spots.  They are very underwhelming in terms of their ability. I would understand if the players were making mistakes due to inexperience and causing UND to lose games by a touchdown or two, but these back-ups that Bubba recruited are fish out of water. Dare I say it, many don't appear to have any business playing DI football. The QB position and offensive line appear to be the biggest failures on offense while the defensive backfield (Bubba's positon group, nevertheless) and linebacker spots (Schmidt's forte) are apparently paper thin for the defense. This is all disappointing; to the point where recruiting needs to be put under the microscope for Bubba. No reason you shouldn't have players that can at least keep you competitive; UND is like a DII program playing in the BSC with the injuries and that shouldn't happen. 

• Upvote 1

Honest question:

Heidlebaugh is 6'4, 225 pounds.  Two years of eligibility remaining.  Is it too late to change his position?  TE?  LB?  Obviously he isn't a DI QB, but that's okay because we will have a few more in the stable next year.  If he is going to be a 3rd or 4th string guy for the next two years why not give him a chance elsewhere?

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I agree with evaluating player leadership or lack thereof,  I think that is one of those things that has to happen organically and I don’t think it has been there since the end of last season.  Maybe losing O’Brien really hurt in that I don’t know.

I think the off the field problems are there or lurking on every college football team. Some of it is the nature of 18-23 year old men.  It needs to be held in check though and when the school, football, social priorities gets flipped and the social part takes over it affects everything else.  When it gets flipped to the degree that I believe it has, things can really be affected.  

The off the field crap has nothing to do with the coaching staff playing heidelbaugh over Zimmerman.  That decision raises all kinds of questions.   And yes like someone else said, the players all know who is better at that position especially, just like most probably know who is focused on football and who is not.

Reminds me of the Hanson vs Hendrickson situation from 2012. The team felt Hendrickson was better. The coaches leaned towards Hanson.

26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Honest question:

Heidlebaugh is 6'4, 225 pounds.  Two years of eligibility remaining.  Is it too late to change his position?  TE?  LB?  Obviously he isn't a DI QB, but that's okay because we will have a few more in the stable next year.  If he is going to be a 3rd or 4th string guy for the next two years why not give him a chance elsewhere?

I'd like to see him at LB. If he can move well enough and is tough enough he could be really good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The depth on this team is horrid. I've been steadfast with this and nothing from yesterday will change my mind. Yes, the injuries have been horrible, but I can't understand how people just don't see what's going on here. You shouldn't go from Big Sky favorite to bottom-feeder when the starters get hurt. You need to have competent back-ups and UND has essentially walk-ons at all the 2nd string spots.  They are very underwhelming in terms of their ability. I would understand if the players were making mistakes due to inexperience and causing UND to lose games by a touchdown or two, but these back-ups that Bubba recruited are fish out of water. Dare I say it, many don't appear to have any business playing DI football. The QB position and offensive line appear to be the biggest failures on offense while the defensive backfield (Bubba's positon group, nevertheless) and linebacker spots (Schmidt's forte) are apparently paper thin for the defense. This is all disappointing; to the point where recruiting needs to be put under the microscope for Bubba. No reason you shouldn't have players that can at least keep you competitive; UND is like a DII program playing in the BSC with the injuries and that shouldn't happen. 

Clearly depth in certain positions have caused the mess UND Football is in. I'd argue though that it's simply that, certain position groups that opponents have exploited as much as they can. It's been a worse case scenario at ILB, Cam playing now has helped, the last two games. Before he was back, they had no one. CB is the other, but are you saying Blubaugh isn't a D1 talent? He's a true freshman that has been thrown into the fire. 

Offensively, outside of Heidelbaugh, who this board has talked about that decision, which back up has looked completely lost? 

I'm probably too much on the positive side, given the results, but I don't think they are as far off to being competitive as the results have shown. It's other teams exposing the weaknesses (MSU / USD) attacking ILB. Montana exposing the CB situation (combined with the coaching staff playing Heidelbaugh). This will be a vastly improved defense next year and I think we'll see improvements the rest of the year (given no other ILB or CB injuries). 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Lol.  Any team that had this many starters out would go from a favorite to a bottom feeder.  Other teams have really good players too.  We have guys who were #3 in the depth chart last spring at some positions players 50+ snaps a game.  Those guys should be special teasers getting the occasional rep.  

Im sure you are smart enough to understand the trickle down this has when you go through a whole game.  

The reason of the injuries is another discussion though 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'd like to see him at LB. If he can move well enough and is tough enough he could be really good.

He's definitely a d1 athlete with his combination size and athleticism.   Biggest issue I see is...toughness!  It comes across at though he's very timid.  If that is the case he would be eaten alive at any position on D.  Playing D requires pure aggression.  Make it count every time so they quit going your way.  That is what I loved about the ratelle and taj combo......they made you think twice about coming up the middle 

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

He's definitely a d1 athlete with his combination size and athleticism.   Biggest issue I see is...toughness!  It comes across at though he's very timid.  If that is the case he would be eaten alive at any position on D.  Playing D requires pure aggression.  Make it count every time so they quit going your way.  That is what I loved about the ratelle and taj combo......they made you think twice about coming up the middle 

I'm curious about his toughness too. Not judging the kid, just think it's an open issue. What about a 6'4" receiver? He can't be any slower than Wanzek/Toivonen can he?