SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think the game is starting to slow down for the young guys who were thrown into the fire a few weeks ago. This experience will be valuable for them in the coming years.

23 of the 44 in the 2-deep yesterday were frosh, rfrosh or sophs.  On one hand tells why the team has been struggling, on the other hand bodes well for the recruiting of the staff and the future of Hawk football.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Good!  thank you. 

We have to take a good look the War On Drugs and see if it's working? 4 decades and where are we. I read 1 in  5 in prison are drug charges. Selling Drugs and then charged with a crime is there a better way for our  kids-citizens? 

Yes it looks like they  broke the law. Selective prosecution is what I see a lot of. Wall Street, hiring illegals nothing to see here.Poor you get charged.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, moser53 said:

We have to take a good look the War On Drugs and see if it's working? 4 decades and where are we. I read 1 in  5 in prison are drug charges. Selling Drugs and then charged with a crime is there a better way for our  kids-citizens? 

Yes it looks like they  broke the law. Selective prosecution is what I see a lot of. Wall Street, hiring illegals nothing to see here.Poor you get charged.

Thanks for the political rant-  2017 Season.

4 hours ago, moser53 said:

I don't care what anyone's stance is on the law.  The fact is they broke the law.  They broke team rules.  They put no doubt dozens of teammates in an awkward position knowing what they were doing.  Anyone who thinks that type of selfish careless behavior isn't divisive and a cancer to a team is delusional.    

Have it out with Nancy Reagan if you want to; the concern here is what's best for UND football.  

• Upvote 2

The game was on the brink of a complete blowout until that stretch at the end of the half with all the fumbles. We looked really good against a bad team for almost a half. Then we grinded with them for most of the rest of the game. It was encouraging to see our guys bounce back time and again after all the mistakes we made. There are a ton of things to be happy about but at the end of the day we beat a bad team.

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

There is a difference between treating and healing.  There is no evidence that I am aware of that necessarily heals TBI but there are some studies that showed decreased mortality in controlled studies with marijuana therapy. There is a difference between mood altering drugs such as alcohol or marijuana and other life stresses.  There are certainly a significant number of marijuana users in sports.  If you stoners think it is a benign drug you are mistaken. Alcohol isn't a benign drug either.  

Medical studies marijuana is the  most commonly used illegal drug in the US.  You can become addicted to it and you may have withdrawal if you stop.  Obviously that is associated  almost exclusively with heavy users.  It is associated with other drug use.  Long term heavy use can cause insomnia, anxiety, paranoia, and altered time perception.  A Duke University study showed people who started using as teens and continued to use as adults "lost an average of 8  IQ points between ages 13-38.  Those who quit pot as adults didn't regain what was lost. It can cause respiratory problems, increased heart rate.  It can cause adverse effects to brain development in the fetus when pregnant women use.  Heavy use can lead to hallucinations, paranoia and worsen schizophrenia.  There is supportive evidence that support the idea that marijuana is a "gateway drug" but the majority of users do not progress the harder drugs.  

You and a couple other posters are either misinformed or have already lost you 8 IQ points if you think this is a benign drug.  To even insinuate that it is no big deal for HS or MS kids to use is stupid and wrong.  I will say that spouse and child abusers are seldom stoned on pot, they are usually alcohol abusers.  Other than that if you are using this crap you aren't very smart.  I have seen it become a cancer on athletic teams.  When something goes wrong the teammates tend to blame the drug users and the stoners get defensive and it causes a divided locker room.  To many kids lose focus and forget why they are here. Back to the subject at hand,  I believe Bubba and his staff will do their best to identify the problem and deal with it.  I hope we help these kids get good legal advice and try to get them back on track for their degree.  

Weed won’t kill you like alcohol but we all know people that are now dull because they smoke every day. Just like getting drunk every day will have a terrible outcome. I find it funny that some people think it’s fine to wake and bake and go to class or work but if someone gets drunk first thing in the morning they would be considered to have a huge problem. Prohibition of drugs doesn’t work but there needs to be cultural constructs for what is acceptable use for legalization to work and that isn’t close to existing at this point.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Weed won’t kill you like alcohol but we all know people that are now dull because they smoke every day. Just like getting drunk every day will have a terrible outcome. I find it funny that some people think it’s fine to wake and bake and go to class or work but if someone gets drunk first thing in the morning they would be considered to have a huge problem. Prohibition of drugs doesn’t work but there needs to be cultural constructs for what is acceptable use for legalization to work and that isn’t close to existing at this point.

Your point on wake and bake is spot on.  The other part of this that puzzles me is how so many young people(under 25) think smoking is like having a soda pop.  

26 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

WOW! The tailgate scene is back! Definitely bigger than when i was in school: 

We didn't even have such an event when I was in school. I remember when it started in the parking lot of Memorial Stadium, had Bison fans with at one one time, and they said they didn't have tailgating, they taught it was pretty neat.

I walked into the student tailgating on Saturday to visit a group. From what I could see, they were all having a blast. It was really crowded, hard to walk through, more so than last game. And, like I mentioned in a different post yesterday, a lot of these fans didn't go to the game. Big potential here.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Your point on wake and bake is spot on.  The other part of this that puzzles me is how so many young people(under 25) think smoking is like having a soda pop.  

And a part that puzzles me is how do campuses in states like Colorado deal with it. Do the students go to like bowl games every weekend, all school year? How clean is that FB team from NC that we just played? Then there are some that will point fingers at out tailgating with all the alcohol? Well the FB players get randomly tested, right?

26 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

And a part that puzzles me is how do campuses in states like Colorado deal with it. Do the students go to like bowl games every weekend, all school year? How clean is that FB team from NC that we just played? Then there are some that will point fingers at out tailgating with all the alcohol? Well the FB players get randomly tested, right?

I follow the Colorado schools a bit, not as closely as UND, but I do not hear about issues regarding Marijuana here. To me it seems like it's treated like alcohol in that it is not okay to drink before school / practice/ work, etc. Same goes for weed. Seems the kids are more into drugs like molly more than weed, which is another problem altogether. 

57 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I don't know that they do.  Thru billeting with the Force, a former player is now at Mankato St.  They piss test twice a week, at least for incoming freshman.  Just put the testing in place and move on, makes sense to me.

59 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Guys at 360 are hearing that Reyes is done for the year.  ???

Stewart might be out too.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/und-football-360/30670/360-notebook-just-what-the-doctor-ordered/

Well that just took the wind out of the sails, that finally got some wind back in it last week.  Harris and Reyes both likely out for rest of the year.......&#(@&%&*@