SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

On 12/20/2016 at 10:10 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

And the next thing they'll tell us is that they could win the MAC! :silly:

No one can predict what will happen next year, but I am excited that we are poised to be a part of the playoff conversation for years to come.

To be fair, on any given year, I think the FCS champion would likely win the MAC.

This year might be an exception with the great run Western Michigan is having, but most years I think I'd pick the FCS champ over the MAC champ in a one game setting.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I wonder how competitive they will be long term.  They were very good for about a 13 year stretch before they left the Big Sky.  Other than that brief time period, they have been a pretty poor program regardless of their classification.  

That 13 year stretch is were they got their big heads (like many Bizon fans now have) and left the BSC, now their waggling their tales on the return!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

To be fair, on any given year, I think the FCS champion would likely win the MAC.

This year might be an exception with the great run Western Michigan is having, but most years I think I'd pick the FCS champ over the MAC champ in a one game setting.

Beating a MAC team once early in a season is fine. Beating MAC teams over the course of a typical 11 game season is quite different.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Beating a MAC team once early in a season is fine. Beating MAC teams over the course of a typical 11 game season is quite different.

Obviously no FCS team has ever played an entire MAC football schedule so both of us are speculating, but NDSU put a butt whooping on the MAC champ, in their house, in 2007 that makes me believe the top of schools in the MAC and the top FCS schools are pretty much the same in terms of competitiveness. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=272652117

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Obviously no FCS team has ever played an entire MAC football schedule so both of us are speculating, but NDSU put a butt whooping on the MAC champ, in their house, in 2007 that makes me believe the top of schools in the MAC and the top FCS schools are pretty much the same in terms of competitiveness. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=272652117

The difference isn't talent. It's depth.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

The difference isn't talent. It's depth.

22 extra scholarship athletes is certainly an advantage.

These debates have been going on for years, based on the outcomes of a lot of FCS vs FBS games, most years the top 5 in FCS would rank somewhere from 35-50 if they were ranked in the FBS polls. On a really good year(see NDSU 2013) I'd take the FCS champion against anyone outside of the top 20 on a neutral field.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

These debates have been going on for years, based on the outcomes of a lot of FCS vs FBS games, most years the top 5 in FCS would rank somewhere from 35-50 if they were ranked in the FBS polls. On a really good year(see NDSU 2013) I'd take the FCS champion against anyone outside of the top 20 on a neutral field.

I'm not trying to take anything away from FCS schools because a lot of those wins are impressive. It's just hard to project how they'd do playing a full FBS schedule of 9-11 FBS games a year. You would think over the course of a season that the depth would be the difference. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

It's just hard to project how they'd do playing a full FBS schedule of 9-11 FBS games a year.......

You would think over the course of a season that the depth would be the difference. 

Itll be fun in a few years watching the FBS program in the FCS.

.......That's why they get an additional 20+ scholarships.

17 hours ago, Bison06 said:

85 for FBS

63 for FCS

Just to clarify further, FCS can have up to 85 players on scholarship, however they can only give out the equivalent of 63 scholarships among those players. FCS and FBS teams have similar amount of scholarship players, but every player on an FBS team is on a full scholarship (excluding walk-ons for both teams of course) while the amount of money an FCS player gets can vary.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Just to clarify further, FCS can have up to 85 players on scholarship, however they can only give out the equivalent of 63 scholarships among those players. FCS and FBS teams have similar amount of scholarship players, but every player on an FBS team is on a full scholarship (excluding walk-ons for both teams of course) while the amount of money an FCS player gets can vary.

Correct, thanks for the clarification.

On 12/24/2016 at 6:39 PM, Bison06 said:

i can never figure out if these are sarcasm or not

37 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I'm glad Joe Williams is a senior and we don't have to go up against him......he is good!!

I had the same thought.  Although I think Reyes might have caused him to cough up the ball a few times. They've got some big rangy returning linebackers that will give us fits. From a defensive standpoint, I think they're the kind of offense that plays to our strengths with that read option stuff. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I had the same thought.  Although I think Reyes might have caused him to cough up the ball a few times. They've got some big rangy returning linebackers that will give us fits. From a defensive standpoint, I think they're the kind of offense that plays to our strengths with that read option stuff. 

You don't think Williams faced PAC12 safeties that are just as good as Reyes?