SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

6 hours ago, RavenousUte said:

Wow this is one of the first posts I have seen on this forum past 6pm CST.  I was starting to wonder if they turned off the internet at 6pm in ND. :lol:

Come back a week from tomorrow. Game day/nights get a LOT of posts.

39 minutes ago, PATRIOT said:

New Roster Pics are posted!

Steve Martin.jpg

Not sure if the weights are correct though. The media guide had Wanzek listed at 200lbs. Hope that is true, because he should be much more physical to play against, with a combo of his velcro hands ... could be a big season for this kid.

UND Football 360 mentioned in their blog that Ty Shannon will most likely have his shirt pulled.  They are moving Jaxon Turner back to OLB and Jake will be mostly playing ILB because of the injuries(O'Brien and Matt Larson).  I hope Utah game doesn't turn our team into a mash unit.  we need to get through the OOC with little injury to compete well in the conference.

With this Larson injury, hopefully it just means other guys will step up and we'll have a healthy Larson as a stud SR ILB in 2021. :)

Also interesting to hear Shannon's redshirt pulled, wonder if this will have any effect on blubaugh's being pulled or not

1 minute ago, SkoHawks said:

With this Larson injury, hopefully it just means other guys will step up and we'll have a healthy Larson as a stud SR ILB in 2021. :)

Also interesting to hear Shannon's redshirt pulled, wonder if this will have any effect on blubaugh's being pulled or not

They are at different positions so I'm not sure why it would.

34 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

While not ideal, Shannon must have shown enough for them to make the decision. A little nerve-wracking being that thin at the safety position. 

Agreed, I'm a firm believer that unless the person is going to start or brings something to the table the unit doesn't have (Izzy's case being able to spread the defense), the player should redshirt. I don't think the coaching staff pulls his shirt if he's comparable to others that are fighting for the backup spot. Both good and bad, you'd hope that Canady would be the guy, but if Shannon is, so be it.

Noah Larson's current injury sure looks like it's shaking up the defense big time, with Turner coming back to the LB position, forcing Shannon to lose his redshirt.

I'm surprised with all of these injuries and being so thin at LB we haven't heard more about Nevermann.  He was recruited by Wyoming to play LB for them, and seems like he may have a hard time getting on the field for us at that position when we are thin at that position.  

I know there has been a lot of talk of injuries this preseason, but I asked one of the coaches the other day how this year compares to others.  He said its about the same as any other year.  He thought maybe because of the teams expectations and the recent hype of the program, it probably sounds like more of an issue than in years past.  He went on to say every team, every preseason has the same issues.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ND1 said:

I know there has been a lot of talk of injuries this preseason, but I asked one of the coaches the other day how this year compares to others.  He said its about the same as any other year.  He thought maybe because of the teams expectations and the recent hype of the program, it probably sounds like more of an issue than in years past.  He went on to say every team, every preseason has the same issues.  

I don't think it has been the number of injuries, just the places the injuries have occurred are places where we aren't very deep.  If we had two DE's and two WR's out for a few weeks, we have plenty of depth there.  It sounds like Larson may have started at ILB.  I can't say this for sure but I'm guessing a true freshman has never started or played a lot of reps at ILB  in the past 25 years.  If we had plenty capable ILB's a true freshman would not be playing a lot in this position.  Granted he sounds like a stud, but still it's too bad that he can't red shirt, which he may end up doing now that he is injured, but we'll see I wouldn't be surprised if he still gets it pulled. 

Every team is going through it's share of injuries right now though, I do get that.....it's part of what happens.  However coaches are having to move guys out of positions they wanted to have them in, and put them in other positions.   Just have to trust we have the athletes to make plays when needed, which they usually do.  On rare occasions it can be a blessing.....such as Santiago. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ND1 said:

This is true.  2 years ago we didn't know if we would have a RB going into the Wyoming game.  Wow how that changed.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

are we really that thin at linebacker (larson) u when a true freshman getting hurt is gonna cause us this much shuffling of positions?

Very thin.    I had hoped cam could be ready but he hasn't practiced yet either. 

Rastas is a very very thin at 6'2" 195-200 but is a hell of a player.  He will need to be productive when given a chance.  

Oscar has looked pretty good from what I've seen at practice and has a nice build for ILB.  

Donnell, along with Cole,  are perhaps the most important playera to stay healthy.    

ILB and S are two spots UND cannot afford anymore injuries.  

4 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Very thin.    I had hoped cam could be ready but he hasn't practiced yet either. 

Rastas is a very very thin at 6'2" 195-200 but is a hell of a player.  He will need to be productive when given a chance.  

Oscar has looked pretty good from what I've seen at practice and has a nice build for ILB.  

Donnell, along with Cole,  are perhaps the most important playera to stay healthy.    

ILB and S are two spots UND cannot afford anymore injuries.  

Maybe we shouldn't have 36 defensive linemen when only 3 are on the field at a time.  Compare that to 4 LBs on the field and 4 DBs on the field, base package and up to 6 DBs if we had the personnel.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Maybe we shouldn't have 36 defensive linemen when only 3 are on the field at a time. 

Those three guys have five or six (or more) coming at them on any given play.

You need to rotate them through to stay fresh. 

• Upvote 1