SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Ha ha ha.

Norberg is probably a blocker 90% of the time at FB.

JJ is probably 50/50 whether he blocks or runs the ball (or on a pass route) at FB.

This could be a really good wrinkle.

One hell of a goal line/short yardage offense coming up ...Norberg and Johannesson lead blocking for Oliveria with a possible jet sweep action to Santiago? Damn UND's offense has potential. Not to mention Keaton is a senior and has best receiver corps yet. Rudolph needs to be thorough and smart and get the job done this year with logical playcalling. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Chuck the pigskin!

Rudy will be walking a few fine lines in 2017, good problems to have.

#1 is touches, with this many guys wanting the ball, and deservedly so, how do you spread the ball and make everyone happy?  Hopefully unselfishness and waiting their turn wins out but competitive players want the ball. 

#2 is how do you balance 'identity' with the experience and talent that allows an OC to call a broader game?  Can't get too cute but yet we all want Santiago in space and in the slot at times and JJ working in at FB.

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

So STATS has UND 8th in the national poll behind #4 EWU, but has UND winning the league ahead of EWU.

Gotta love preseason polls.

Well yeah, it's because UND has an easy schedule and doesn't play EWU or UM this year......oh wait, needs to be a different excuse for this year.....

Well UND misses Cal Poly, NAU and Weber this year. And they are all super-duper extra tough, way more than last season, especially now that they aren't on UND's schedule!

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Well yeah, it's because UND has an easy schedule and doesn't play EWU or UM this year......oh wait, needs to be a different excuse for this year.....

Well UND misses Cal Poly, NAU and Weber this year. And they are all super-duper extra tough, way more than last season, especially now that they aren't on UND's schedule!

And should UND beat Montana, people will say it was the weakest Griz squad in x years....  

7 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

And should UND beat Montana, people will say it was the weakest Griz squad in x years....  

The Griz game kind or worries me more than the EWU game since Montana is tough at home.  Plus I still have flashbacks of last time we were there and both of our safeties were out, and our CB were young and inexperienced and they were just throwing the ball up at will.     However we'll see what both EWU and Montana look like a few games into the season.  Hope EWU knocks off NDSU. 

If I recall that last game on Montana, Santiago took it to the house on the first play.  Later in the game he was going full speed down the sidelines and a guy grabbed his face mask and completely spun him around by his face mask and there was no call.  Not that it would have mattered, but that may have been the worst missed face mask call I've seen......ever. 

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

The Griz game kind or worries me more than the EWU game since Montana is tough at home.  Plus I still have flashbacks of last time we were there and both of our safeties were out, and our CB were young and inexperienced and they were just throwing the ball up at will.     However we'll see what both EWU and Montana look like a few games into the season.  Hope EWU knocks off NDSU. 

If I recall that last game on Montana, Santiago took it to the house on the first play.  Later in the game he was going full speed down the sidelines and a guy grabbed his face mask and completely spun him around by his face mask and there was no call.  Not that it would have mattered, but that may have been the worst missed face mask call I've seen......ever. 

Yes I was sitting in the endzone when Santiago took it to the house.  Remember our offense didn't help that game.  Studsrud was out that game.  2 interceptions with 2 mins to go before half.  Montana scored after both interceptions.  UND never recovered.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Yes I was sitting in the endzone when Santiago took it to the house.  Remember our offense didn't help that game.  Studsrud was out that game.  2 interceptions with 2 mins to go before half.  Montana scored after both interceptions.  UND never recovered.

Oh ya that's right, Studs was out that game too.  I recall now that many of us were thinking they might put Joe in for the second half.   And yeah that end of the first half was the killer.  Really hoping we can wipe that bad taste from our mouth this year when we go back!