SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

Related to this topic:

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2017/08/moving-forward-together/

On May 1, 2017, UND President Mark Kennedy hosted Fighting Hawks coaches for a special dinner at his place.

It celebrated the unprecedented successes of the past year – four conference championships and a trip to the NCAA’s Big Dance, all springboarded by a national hockey championship in 2016.

These were — and are — special times for Fighting Hawks Athletics.

It is much more fun to be a fan of this school's athletic programs now than it was just four short years ago.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Related to this topic:

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2017/08/moving-forward-together/

It is much more fun to be a fan of this school's athletic programs now than it was just four short years ago.

After he attended the South Dakota football game last year, Kennedy came over to our banquet and he talked for a little bit.  He said that Hockey is obviously a major sport at UND, but said there is no reason we can't also have a very successful football team, basketball team etc..  It's really nice to see a President that seems to genuinely care about athletics at UND.  Also he just seems pretty down to earth and not too "stuffy", like you could actually have a beer and a real conversation with him.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

After he attended the South Dakota football game last year, Kennedy came over to our banquet and he talked for a little bit.  He said that Hockey is obviously a major sport at UND, but said there is no reason we can't also have a very successful football team, basketball team etc..  It's really nice to see a President that seems to genuinely care about athletics at UND.  Also he just seems pretty down to earth and not too "stuffy", like you could actually have a beer and a real conversation with him.

is he buying?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

That's what happens when you go from having a University President that is a west coast liberal to a midwest conservative!! ;)

(Alright calm down.  Not meaning to start a political debate.  Relax.  It's a joke)

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Fall camp start tomorrow

I hope Bubba can continue the trend of overachieving in the season.  This is a statement year, time to quiet all the haters. 

My opinion is that we did not overachieve last season. We had an All American running back and another who could have been, an All American on defense and we had a returning starter at quarterback. We actually should have  gone 10-1 or even 11-0 without overachieving. 

Mitch Meindel has joined the team .... again. Kind of surprising, as I believe he has been dismissed twice (could be wrong though). Not sure what the heck he ever did, but that makes a great competition at punter. Dussold did a nice job last year, but Meindel could completely flip the field the year before.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Mitch Meindel has joined the team .... again. Kind of surprising, as I believe he has been dismissed twice (could be wrong though). Not sure what the heck he ever did, but that makes a great competition at punter. Dussold did a nice job last year, but Meindel could completely flip the field the year before.

We could use his leg so long as he uses his head.

16 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The University let him back in, why not the football team??  I don't think he makes the same mistake twice.

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The University let him back in, why not the football team??  I don't think he makes the same mistake twice.

works for me, I never heard the story, so I didn't know he left the University as well as the football team. For some reason I was thinking this was his 3rd shot, but again I haven't followed that close. Should be a nice addition to special teams though.

15 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure how much Tom knows for sure about Grady at this point, but per twitter:

We'll see Thursday, but the signs aren't good.

The door must still be slightly opened, although closing quickly.

Good news is that we have experience coming back regardless of Grady. Last season we have ONE OL with relevant experience. Time to move forward.

If Grady does not show I will be a bit annoyed with his Mother's lecture on this forum not so long ago. The lecture itself is fine, but him not showing after said lecture is not fine.

• Like 2

I'm just going to float something out there regarding the Grady situation. Sounds like the coaches are not saying much at this point, and maybe that is because they don't know yet. Is it possible, that after taking the year off, UND is waiting to hear back on if Grady is NCAA eligible with grades, courses, credits?

I hope he is back, and a strong piece of the team, but I'm not sure I can take the Grady Watch for another few years. haha.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm just going to float something out there regarding the Grady situation. Sounds like the coaches are not saying much at this point, and maybe that is because they don't know yet. Is it possible, that after taking the year off, UND is waiting to hear back on if Grady is NCAA eligible with grades, courses, credits?

I hope he is back, and a strong piece of the team, but I'm not sure I can take the Grady Watch for another few years. haha.

I hope so too!

Just now, UNDColorado said:

Good news is that we have experience coming back regardless of Grady. Last season we have ONE OL with relevant experience. Time to move forward.

If Grady does not show I will be a bit annoyed with his Mother's lecture on this forum not so long ago. The lecture itself is fine, but him not showing after said lecture is not fine.

I hear ya. Bottom line, there should be more depth at the position. This year, and over the next few.

Any yes, nothing wrong with a mom coming to her kid's defense. But hopefully it is not something where we see the same thing happening twice. I'm sure more will coming out over the next few day, but I don't think the full story or scope of what the kid is dealing with will come out on a message board unless he put it here himself.

Sidenote, been discussed here before, but I am wondering if they are going to change the sticker opn the helmet to the black and white logo instead of the green and white logo with the outline.   They probably aren't, But I just think it looks better on a green helmet.   Maybe the official twitter picture of @UNDfootball is telling us something?!! :)

blackhawk.jpg