SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

22 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

"A stacked running game and elite secondary should carry them [UND] this year." 

Wasn't too long ago you'd get laughed out of the room with a statement like that. My how things change. 

Yes I remember comments about the secondary leading the way for opponents receivers into the end zone.  Now half of the starters in the secondary are considered Pro prospects.  Looks like Bubba and staff have made some remarkable changes.  The same can be said on the offensive size.

4 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Hero Sports writer predicting all conference winners. For the Big Sky he has picked the good guys. Pressure to stay on the tops seems to be building. What is the consensus around here? Do we have the tools to stay on top, or are we a backup or two away from the depth we really need?

http://herosports.com/fcs-football/predicting-every-2017-conference-champion-in-the-fcs-bzbz

Set offensively, I truly believe this team offensively will be head and shoulders better then they were last year. As balanced as any team UND has ever had, with incredible depth. They will have a championship caliber offense. To me it all comes down to (1) LB Depth (2) Safety Depth, because I believe they'll be as good on the defensive line if not better and will be better at CB than they were last year.

28 minutes ago, AJS said:

Set offensively, I truly believe this team offensively will be head and shoulders better then they were last year. As balanced as any team UND has ever had, with incredible depth. They will have a championship caliber offense. To me it all comes down to (1) LB Depth (2) Safety Depth, because I believe they'll be as good on the defensive line if not better and will be better at CB than they were last year.

Our OL is a question mark until they prove otherwise.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

"A stacked running game and elite secondary should carry them [UND] this year." 

Wasn't too long ago you'd get laughed out of the room with a statement like that. My how things change. 

The secondary was horrible not too long ago, during those dark days if anyone asked what position I played I would say 'back up punter' cause I was too embarrassed to admit I used to play in the secondary.

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

The secondary was horrible not too long ago, during those dark days if anyone asked what position I played I would say 'back up punter' cause I was too embarrassed to admit I used to play in the secondary.

Didn't realize you played. For Muss I assume?

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our OL is a question mark until they prove otherwise.

I get it, you just won't be able to convince me that an OL that was pretty good at the end of the year and returns (including Grady), I believe 9 guys that have started a game will be anything less than solid.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

This season UND has 4 RB's capable of achieving 1000 yd season.  the touches will be spread around.  Even with that said I believe UNS will have 2 RB's reaching the 1000 yd mark.

That really might not even be that bold of a prediction considering we almost did it last year with the OL struggling most of the season. 

Heres a question: has there ever been a team with 3 1000 yard backs?

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That really might not even be that bold of a prediction considering we almost did it last year with the OL struggling most of the season. 

Heres a question: has there ever been a team with 3 1000 yard backs?

Now your talking.   Just think 3 1000 yd RB's in the Big Sky.  That would be awesome.  I think we will have many games with 2 RB's over 100 yds rushing.  Probably not against Utah.

16 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Now your talking.   Just think 3 1000 yd RB's in the Big Sky.  That would be awesome.  I think we will have many games with 2 RB's over 100 yds rushing.  Probably not against Utah.

Nope, we will have 3 against Utah ;)

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Scouting Insider lists Deion Harris as their Preseason #2 FCS player. Its crazy how much attention this kid has been getting, and if he can deliver on the hype, we are going to see something pretty special this season.

Who's #1? Could be Reyes.

Nice Article on Dale Jones.  Should be a nice fit and replacement for Brinstine:

skip navigation

• JC Recruiting Class Breakdown: What is Iowa getting in Dale Jones from Tyler JC?
06/21/2015, 12:00pm EDT
By Brad Winton

Screen_Shot_2014-12-08_at_11.56.08_AM.pn
DaleJonesTyler_medium.jpg

We will break down many of the top 2015 division one junior college recruiting classes over the next several weeks. Some D1 programs rely heavily on JUCO transfers, while others may only pick up one every few years.

Today we will take a look at Iowa’s JC recruiting class, which features one of the top junior college players in the country in the 2015 class. Dale Jones committed to Iowa after completing his sophomore season at Tyler JC. He is currently ranked as the #8 player in our www.JucoRecruiting.com 2015 Top 100 Player Rankings. Our final 2015 rankings will be released in June.

What is Iowa getting in Jones?

Dale Jones is a 6’8 3 man, who was very impressive when we watched him multiple times throughout the season. Jones is very versatile on the offensive end of has deep range on his jumper. He creates matchup problems for defenders with his unique ability to score in the low and mid post while also being able to sretech the floor and score off the dribble from the perimeter.  Jones can create his own shot and has very good footwork on the perimeter. He uses his size well to face up smaller defenders and use a jab series to create space before shooting over smaller defenders.  Jones sees the floor very well and is a good passer from the perimeter and from the high-post. He has a smooth and fluid game that should translate very well to the next level. Quality shooters are hard to come by, especially shooters who are 6’8, and Iowa did a very good job of recruiting Jones heavily throughout his sophomore year.

On the defensive end, Jones does a solid job of keeping perimeter players in front of him and uses his body well in the low post. He will most likely have to guard threes and stretch four men in the Big 10. Jones does a nice job on the glass on both ends of the floor and has the ability to rebound the ball and initiate the transition break.

Jones suffered a knee injury at Tyler, but looked to be almost fully recovered during regional tournament and national tournament play. He still has some issues with lateral mobility on the defensive end when guarding on the perimeter, but his knee did get stronger as the year went on. He should be at full strength by the time the 2015-16 season roles around. 

6 minutes ago, UND92 said:

Nice Article on Dale Jones.  Should be a nice fit and replacement for Brinstine:

skip navigation

• JC Recruiting Class Breakdown: What is Iowa getting in Dale Jones from Tyler JC?
06/21/2015, 12:00pm EDT
By Brad Winton

Screen_Shot_2014-12-08_at_11.56.08_AM.pn
DaleJonesTyler_medium.jpg

We will break down many of the top 2015 division one junior college recruiting classes over the next several weeks. Some D1 programs rely heavily on JUCO transfers, while others may only pick up one every few years.

Today we will take a look at Iowa’s JC recruiting class, which features one of the top junior college players in the country in the 2015 class. Dale Jones committed to Iowa after completing his sophomore season at Tyler JC. He is currently ranked as the #8 player in our www.JucoRecruiting.com 2015 Top 100 Player Rankings. Our final 2015 rankings will be released in June.

What is Iowa getting in Jones?

Dale Jones is a 6’8 3 man, who was very impressive when we watched him multiple times throughout the season. Jones is very versatile on the offensive end of has deep range on his jumper. He creates matchup problems for defenders with his unique ability to score in the low and mid post while also being able to sretech the floor and score off the dribble from the perimeter.  Jones can create his own shot and has very good footwork on the perimeter. He uses his size well to face up smaller defenders and use a jab series to create space before shooting over smaller defenders.  Jones sees the floor very well and is a good passer from the perimeter and from the high-post. He has a smooth and fluid game that should translate very well to the next level. Quality shooters are hard to come by, especially shooters who are 6’8, and Iowa did a very good job of recruiting Jones heavily throughout his sophomore year.

On the defensive end, Jones does a solid job of keeping perimeter players in front of him and uses his body well in the low post. He will most likely have to guard threes and stretch four men in the Big 10. Jones does a nice job on the glass on both ends of the floor and has the ability to rebound the ball and initiate the transition break.

Jones suffered a knee injury at Tyler, but looked to be almost fully recovered during regional tournament and national tournament play. He still has some issues with lateral mobility on the defensive end when guarding on the perimeter, but his knee did get stronger as the year went on. He should be at full strength by the time the 2015-16 season roles around. 

He gonna play TE or what? And does he know the football team wears adidas? I hear that's a deal breaker.

34 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

So is Cole #1 or is he left out of the top 15?

If he's out of the top 15 that's a joke.

This is what I am thinking.  Lots of good players and tough to pick a #1 but it would be even more difficult to leave Cole out of the top 15.