SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

When UND was playing the way Bubba would have them play, yes, and maybe more (like top 5). 

When they were "off", they weren't top 25. 

Consistency is something that needs to be worked on now that some of the core issues (like plain old having the personnel and scheme that works) have been dealt with. 

Which game(s) against good teams last year were the best examples of when UND was playing as a top 5 team?

If I knew why sometimes an off team finds its way I'd bottle it and sell it. 

And if I knew why a team on its game trips up I'd ban it (at least from Alerus Center; I'd ship it all to FargoDome ;) ). 

Is it having a real, true two-deep where if one guy is having an off day the other comes in seamlessly? I don't know. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Fair enough.

But I think if you were able to view UND's season as a non UND fan, there would be some questions in your mind. As was stated above by a UND fan, losing that Richmond game left UND open to some questions. 

I'm highly objective when I view UND. I try to do the same with NDSU. I don't have blind hatred for NDSU and I don't have green colored glasses stapled to my face. 

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm highly objective when I view UND. I try to do the same with NDSU. I don't have blind hatred for NDSU and I don't have green colored glasses stapled to my face. 

I agree, you have always come across as level headed. But being that you are able to be objective about UND, how is it not fair to believe that UND left a lot of people wondering how good they actually were after going one and done in the playoffs and having the only two teams that UND could point to as "high quality wins" also go one and done in the playoffs? I'm not hating on UND, I just see those as legitimate questions. 

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, just curious how UND fans view it(and it's the offseason so have to talk about something)

How good was UND last year?  Well, they had a winning record and a trophy . . . so they did alright.  Far from a powerhouse, but got it done enough times to make something of it.  I, for one, was glad UND didn't face EWU.  Not a favorable "style of play" matchup at all.

The Richmond game was a choke.  UND beat themselves in that game, pure and simple.

29 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

What got clicking in those instances that was difficult to be consistent with? 

Cal Poly ran all over SDSU at their house.  It was very close to us being up 24-0 or 24-3 (something line that) on Cal Poly at half, but we turned the ball over twice inside the 15 yard line, one of them I think a fumble on the 1 or 2 yard line.  We pretty much shut down their run game and they had to resort to passing.  The game did end up being somewhat close, but we should have had a big lead on them at half.  

I was the one who stated why I can see how others just look at our playoff loss against Richmond and doubt us.  Richmond was a pretty respectable team, and we were in control of that game until that stupid roughing the punter call and it all went down hill fast from there.  I get why people doubt us, but yet I also feel like we belonged in the top 8 last year and we should have won that Richmond game.  

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Cal Poly ran all over SDSU at their house.  It was very close to us being up 24-0 or 24-3 (something line that) on Cal Poly at half, but we turned the ball over twice inside the 15 yard line, one of them I think a fumble on the 1 or 2 yard line.  We pretty much shut down their run game and they had to resort to passing.  The game did end up being somewhat close, but we should have had a big lead on them at half.  

I was the one who stated why I can see how others just look at our playoff loss against Richmond and doubt us.  Richmond was a pretty respectable team, and we were in control of that game until that stupid roughing the punter call and it all went down hill fast from there.  I get why people doubt us, but yet I also feel like we belonged in the top 8 last year and we should have won that Richmond game.  

Respectable teams don't lose playoff games 38-0...just sayin'

UND blew that game. Not great way to end the year or silence doubters. Probably still a solid football team. 

Let's be honest, with NDSU's recent history there aren't too many other teams that would be considered "good" by NDSU standards.

UND did VERY WELL in respect to where that program had been, and where they are in the building process.

IS the 2017 season here yet??!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Respectable teams don't lose playoff games 38-0...just sayin'

UND blew that game. Not great way to end the year or silence doubters. Probably still a solid football team. 

True, and you don't lose 6-1 in the Frozen Four and consider yourself a respectable team either then.  Just sayin'!  

19 hours ago, tnt said:

True, and you don't lose 6-1 in the Frozen Four and consider yourself a respectable team either then.  Just sayin'!  

ND losing in hockey doesn't actually bother me. Literally only pay attention because my friends/relatives UND hockey fandom.

As for the times that UND was dominant and the reason for it all you have to do is look at play-calling an execution. Studsrud was something awful to start the season and honestly had you looked at them then, you wouldn't think a top 25 team at all. By the end of the season, Studsrud had found his game again and the passing attack was clicking (look at the emergence of Mercer). That started opening the running attack, particularly when Oliviera was in and able to punish the defense. The first half against Richmond was a clear textbook case of what the team looked like clicking. Studsrud was completing the passes he was supposed to (not only the quick/short passes, but vertical routes), the running game was punishing the defense and extending drives, and the defense was being aggressive and pressuring the opposing offense into mistakes and negative plays. 

You then flip to the second half. The playcalling got incredibly predictable. Run, run, pass (sometimes even extra run) as they went ultra-conservative trying to milk the lead. Then the roughing the punter, defense couldn't catch it's breath and just turned into a losing cycle. It all came down to execution and playcalling. The playcalling failed horribly (super conservative then double reverse), and the defense had little to no time to adjust or rest. Massive choke. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Feff said:

As for the times that UND was dominant and the reason for it all you have to do is look at play-calling an execution. Studsrud was something awful to start the season and honestly had you looked at them then, you wouldn't think a top 25 team at all. By the end of the season, Studsrud had found his game again and the passing attack was clicking (look at the emergence of Mercer). That started opening the running attack, particularly when Oliviera was in and able to punish the defense. The first half against Richmond was a clear textbook case of what the team looked like clicking. Studsrud was completing the passes he was supposed to (not only the quick/short passes, but vertical routes), the running game was punishing the defense and extending drives, and the defense was being aggressive and pressuring the opposing offense into mistakes and negative plays. 

You then flip to the second half. The playcalling got incredibly predictable. Run, run, pass (sometimes even extra run) as they went ultra-conservative trying to milk the lead. Then the roughing the punter, defense couldn't catch it's breath and just turned into a losing cycle. It all came down to execution and playcalling. The playcalling failed horribly (super conservative then double reverse), and the defense had little to no time to adjust or rest. Massive choke. 

Studsrud and the OL were a major let down to start the year. Our LTs were getting eaten alive. There was no push in the run game.  Hopefully this year with the readdition of Grady it will be better from day 1.

I'm hoping with a year under their belt, Grady back, and a bit more competition the o-line will be ready at the start of the season. That should help some of Studsrud's happy feet and hopefully he'll be more settled. Not only was he not getting time, but he was missing the very easy flat and hitch routes that were wide open and on quick drops. He was painful to watch early on. Then again, have the four headed monster at running back really should take some pressure off.

15 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Obviously Haley didn't check with Montana.   But it is nice to get some respect.  Now the team has to prove it.  Man this would be sweet.

There's a Montana guy on the FCS Football Fans Facebook page that destroys UND every chance he gets.  UND better go into Missoula and beat the crap out of the Griz this year.

5 hours ago, Sioux04 said:

There's a Montana guy on the FCS Football Fans Facebook page that destroys UND every chance he gets.  UND better go into Missoula and beat the crap out of the Griz this year.

Montana will be a tough game if their offense is clicking.  Griz have speed and with a QB that can run could give UND defense a tough challenge.  UND will need to control the tempo of this game.  Pound the rock down their throat.  I was in Montana the last time UND played them.  Great game day experience except UND was without Studs and Cole was very banged up.  This year will be difference.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Montana will be a tough game if their offense is clicking.  Griz have speed and with a QB that can run could give UND defense a tough challenge.  UND will need to control the tempo of this game.  Pound the rock down their throat.  I was in Montana the last time UND played them.  Great game day experience except UND was without Studs and Cole was very banged up.  This year will be difference.

Montana will definitely present a challenge based on their homefield advantage. With that said, UND needs to be able to run the ball and get solid QB play from their senior QB; if they get that, UND should be able to pull out a hard fought game in Missoula. Always tough to win there. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sioux04 said:

You must be referring to that Nate guy on that page......yeah he is a d*ck.  It's Montana guys like him that make me dislike them almost as much as NDSU.