SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

Do you think playing Utah our first game can be a benefit to get our guys even more focused this off season and once practice starts in August?  Not that we were over looking Stony Brook last year, but most all felt it would be a tough game but I think we all thought it was a game we would win.  We did not look good that game, Studs was off, punt got blocked, just all around did not play all that well.  Who knows....maybe some of the guys did over look it a little.  I'm hoping with a big game like Utah to start the year the guys are super focused all summer and once practice starts, so that we can come out and play a lot better our first game, kind of like we did against Wyoming.  

5 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Do you think playing Utah our first game can be a benefit to get our guys even more focused this off season and once practice starts in August?  Not that we were over looking Stony Brook last year, but most all felt it would be a tough game but I think we all thought it was a game we would win.  We did not look good that game, Studs was off, punt got blocked, just all around did not play all that well.  Who knows....maybe some of the guys did over look it a little.  I'm hoping with a big game like Utah to start the year the guys are super focused all summer and once practice starts, so that we can come out and play a lot better our first game, kind of like we did against Wyoming.  

My only thought at this point is last year we had one returning starter on the OL and it was noticeable to say the least. Utah is in the same position as we were last year on the OL so that makes me sort of hopeful. 

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

My only thought at this point is last year we had one returning starter on the OL and it was noticeable to say the least. Utah is in the same position as we were last year on the OL so that makes me sort of hopeful. 

I agree that the OL being so inexperienced last year was a big part of the problem.  The first couple of series I remember Studs missing guys badly even though he wasn't really under much pressure.  I think he was possibly hurrying things a little because he might have been a little unsure of how good his protection was going to be, even on plays where the protection was ok. 

I'm not sure where to put this so I'll leave it here. It's another reminder that recruits and their parents read this board.

Braden Lenzy was a WR commit apparently back in February to Notre Dame.  He just dropped ND and switched to Oregon.

Tom Loy the ND 247 writer says that ND had no idea it was coming.  Posters then start going off on the kid.  They even say that Dad must of gotten a raise from Nike. Here' is dad's reply:

http://notredame.247sports.com/Board/87/Contents/Braden-Lenzy-de-commits-from-Notre-Dame-commits-to-Oregon-53177779?Page=3

ohdime said... (original post)

At the end of the day, this decision was based solely on the ability to run outdoor track. As Braden continued to have discussions with Coach Kelly and with Troy Pride he became increasingly aware that the staff felt that Braden running track would be more focused on indoor track as a training mechanism for football. Braden treats track like many treat Baseball as an everyday player not a pitcher or Lacrosse players as their second sport. The demands and requirements for ND football players in the spring were not going to allow him to run track and focus in during track season at a level that addressed his personal goals.

The Spring Game visit was in fact so my son Max could meet the DB coach. These thoughts did not happen until after his track season and Braden informed the ND staff that he was considering not enrolling early because he wanted to return for his Senior track season. Again, this conversations raised some additional concern based on the response he received from the staff. In the end, the discussion he had with Oregon this Sunday outlined a partnership between the track program and football program that allows him to dedicate himself in the spring to the track program during track season (spring football time) and with the football team during the football season.

Braden LOVED ND. In the end, his personal goals of doing his best and performing at a high level in both sports. Oregon became the better fit. For all the people shitting on him for investigating and making the right decision for himself...shame on you. How many times are we as adults not as diligent in our decision making at 30,40 and 50 years old. He is 17 years old and his verbal commitment fortunately or unfortunately is not a binding one.

He gave his commitment in February because it was the best for him...at that time. Better for him to find out now vs finding out 1/2 through his freshman year at ND that he really wouldn't have the time nor be given the opportunity to compete at the level he was wanting to.

PS,

I can assure you Uncle Phil did not give me a raise for Braden's decision

Not real surprising and I hope Bolinske does well for them.  

Hopefully the staff has learned from its mistakes of going 2 years without bringing in a legitimate scholarship QB prospect.  Having to bring in 2 transfer QBs from California in one off-season isn't a habit UND should fall into.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Hopefully the staff has learned from its mistakes of going 2 years without bringing in a legitimate scholarship QB prospect.  Having to bring in 2 transfer QBs from California in one off-season isn't a habit UND should fall into.

I wish the best for Bolinske, but I could see before he even stepped foot on campus that he wasn't going to make it as a DI quarterback for UND (see my comments in the recruiting thread on here - which I got plenty of flak for via the "experts").

The two transfer QBs that UND has now brought in allows for improvement at the QB position, but UND definitely needs to better emphasize high school DI-caliber QBs in the recruiting process. This needs to start with the 2018 recruiting class.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I wish the best for Bolinske, but I could see before he even stepped foot on campus that he wasn't going to make it as a DI quarterback for UND (see my comments in the recruiting thread on here - which I got plenty of flak for via the "experts").

The two transfer QBs that UND has now brought it allows for improvement at the QB position, but UND definitely needs to better emphasize high school DI-caliber QBs in the recruiting process. This needs to start with the 2018 recruiting class.

Agreed. I think and hope that Boltman is a step in this direction. 

I have said this before but I think Ketteringham has a solid upside when surrounded by a better supporting cast. I think UND can provide that.

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

Reading the article it appears Matt Marler, who also was a walk on last year, has transferred to Minot State.  Hadn't heard about him either.

Didn't know that Marler was headed back to Minot but back on June 8, noticed he was no longer on the roster. 

Teeder11   

• Teeder11
  • Members
  • 3,415 posts

It was mentioned in another thread (2-deep defensive starters) that Flowers was no longer listed on the roster.  FWIW, he is listed on what seems to be an updated 2017 roster. The same roster omits Poole, Tim Ryan (who we already knew bolted), WR Carter Blackwell, and walk ons: OL Devan Hunt, LB Matt Marler and Punter Jacob Meeks.

It also doesn't include Walk-on Grafton product Zak Hernandez at WR.

It should be noted that there are usually add ons at the start of fall camp and more add ons once school starts again.

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

A while back I was asking about if UND was now in position that everyone we offered a scholarship to had the potential to succeed. It appeared to me that there were some that were offered that had a small chance to make the field. QBs come to mind. Now, it seems, we are getting more and more players that have a good chance of succeeding. Life is good and getting better for UND football fans.

• Upvote 2