SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

35 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The 3 headed monster of Jahanneson, Oliveira, and Santiago is going to be really fun watch.  If the DOUBLE REVERSE TRICKERATION clicks like most think it will, it is really going to open things up for Studsrud and make things a lot easier for him.  In the world of high flying passing offenses in the Big Sky, I like our pound the rock style to wear out opposing defenses every game.  Our offense definitely struggled out of the gate last year.  Hopefully this year they can hit the ground running (pun intended ;)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AJS said:

As unflattering as it is, there is a lot of truth to what other teams fan bases said (are saying) about UND and their 2016 season. Does everyone remember how truly awful UND's offense was through the first 5 games? We all know the reasoning (brand new O-Line, WR core), but the fact was they were flat out atrocious. Now, they got better throughout the year and I thought were solid by the end of the year, but it took time. UND did have an easy schedule, not only who they played, but where. They played bad teams closer than they should have. The defense was opportunistic, but at times it was like the opposing offense could throw at will. At the end of the day, it was definitely a success, but I think some of the questions other people (& some of us here) have are valid.

Worst 9 win team in history.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Worst 9 win team in history.

I disagree.  Team improved over the course of the season and beat all the Big Sky top teams with the exception of Eastern Washington.  Came within a few minutes of beating a pretty good Richmond team.  Won a couple of close games, but also lost 3 close games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I disagree.  Team improved over the course of the season and beat all the Big Sky top teams with the exception of Eastern Washington.  Came within a few minutes of beating a pretty good Richmond team.  Won a couple of close games, but also lost 3 close games.

You missed the sarcasm in his comment. You and him are actually on the same side.

My response was to why opposing fan bases don't give UND the respect everyone here thinks they deserve. My long winded point was there were definitely question marks, especially if you watched select games. USD for example was brought up, UND was terrible for 3/4 of that game, it's not crazy to think USD fans think they had a better team given that game. It was also during the first 5 game stretch, where UND was finding its offense. I'm ready to bury this conversation though.

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I started a thread on the Utah message board.  Let's get some football talk going.  https://www.utehub.com/forums/topic/north-dakota/#post-33911

We should just stay home after reading how good the Ute's are going to be.  Losing 4 guys on the OL to the NFL would normally hurt, but not from what I read.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AJS said:

My response was to why opposing fan bases don't give UND the respect everyone here thinks they deserve. My long winded point was there were definitely question marks, especially if you watched select games. USD for example was brought up, UND was terrible for 3/4 of that game, it's not crazy to think USD fans think they had a better team given that game. It was also during the first 5 game stretch, where UND was finding its offense. I'm ready to bury this conversation though.

I agree with you to an extent, and it doesn't bother me too much yet if there are some fans that think we were a bit of a fluke.  We didn't play very well at times last year that is for sure.  We did win 9 games in a row though and should have beaten a Richmond team that was pretty well respected.  Granted their QB was out, but the QB that played..played pretty well.  We have a lot of returning talent, particularly on offense so if we ended up the year in the final rankings around...what was it...10 or 11.....with a lot of guys returning I feel we should be ranked around there.  I see Athlon has us at #5.  I can certainly see many fan bases thinking that we are over ranked in that one and I would probably agree.  I think we are capable of being a #5 team, but don't think I'd put us there yet to start the year.  I guess the good thing about starting out a little higher in the rankings is if we lose a game we won't drop completely out of the polls.  Definitely excited for this season!!!

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2017 at 3:09 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Apparently they finally got the details hammered out.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:24 PM, geaux_sioux said:

I hope he likes second place.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:32 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Looking at the coaching staff they're putting together, they may struggle to reach 2nd.  Pulling their offensive coordinator and I believe at least one position coach from the high school ranks seems pretty risky.

And their OC is gone without ever coaching a game....

Looking back, his hiring was tweeted March 3.  So when they say "less than 6 months" what they really mean is after just over 3 months.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

And their OC is gone without ever coaching a game....

Looking back, his hiring was tweeted March 3.  So when they say "less than 6 months" what they really mean is after just over 3 months.

Interesting.  Maybe they will try and steal Rudy away from us :p