SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

17 minutes ago, TBR said:

I am still holding out hope that espn will pick this game up. There are several games that night but only a couple that might be considered higher profile than UND vs. UU.

ESPN 2 will be broadcasting college football that evening also, so there is probably a chance.

38 minutes ago, AJS said:

I imagine this would be slim to none, but I also hope that since the options for the PAC 12 are so few in ND / SD, that they might allow Midco to pick up the feed. Doubt it though.

A day later and I'm still mad about this situation. It's insane that 2 out of the last 3 FBS games UND has played in have either  (1) No stream / ways to watch (2) Basically No stream / ways to watch, based on the PAC 12 being an embarrassment of a network

Seem like Fox College Sports always picks up some games late. Not sure if that will be an option or not, but I'll cross my fingers. Does Utah not even offer a webcast through their website?

12 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

. Does Utah not even offer a webcast through their website?

I took a cursory pass through the UU website and did not see anything other than reference to their connection to the PAC12 network.

21 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Gotta love that.  Man wasn't that long ago when we were desperately looking forward to getting better and earning some respect and wanting to be considered one of the top teams in the Big Sky.  We still have a lot to prove out on the field this year though, and it would be awesome to beat EWU at home this year for the title after their fans were yapping last year about how they were the true conference champs.  Who would have thought a couple years ago also, that neither Montana team would be picked in the top 6.  Granted this is just one guys predictions, but still. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Gotta love that.  Man wasn't that long ago when we were desperately looking forward to getting better and earning some respect and wanting to be considered one of the top teams in the Big Sky.  We still have a lot to prove out on the field this year though, and it would be awesome to beat EWU at home this year for the title after their fans were yapping last year about how they were the true conference champs.  Who would have thought a couple years ago also, that neither Montana team would be picked in the top 6.  Granted this is just one guys predictions, but still. 

And Weber is ranked above both of them!!  Not your typical Big Sky power rankings!

30 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

And Weber is ranked above both of them!!  Not your typical Big Sky power rankings!

I think Weber will be decent but when I think of Montana and MSU I got nothing. It looks like MSU lost a few players who basically decided they didn't want to play there anymore and Montana seems to be hit and miss any given week.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

To be fair, I believe it was written by the Weber State beat writer.

A Weber beat writer could argue Weber took it to us last year.  

1st downs Weber - 16, UND - 12

Total yards Weber - 286, UND - 212

Santiago returns opening kick off for TD, Reyes has some sick pics, Weber knocks out Studsrud with shoulder injury. (main story lines)

Weber had 4 turnovers, UND - 0, which was the difference in the game.  (29-17 final)

While we have started to garner some respect within our conference there are definitely others who don't think we are the real deal.  There is an 'FCS Football Fans Nation' Facebook page that I recently joined that seems to have some respectable conversation.  One of the guys who I think is a Mod and a Griz fan put out his top 25 preseason ranking, he had UND at 14.  I saw one person commented on how UND is a paper tiger as we had an easy schedule last year.  Which can't get too mad at the guy as we only have ourselves to blame for blowing that Richmond game.  We still have something to prove, hopefully our guys can get it done on the field next year. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

While we have started to garner some respect within our conference there are definitely others who don't think we are the real deal.  There is an 'FCS Football Fans Nation' Facebook page that I recently joined that seems to have some respectable conversation.  One of the guys who I think is a Mod and a Griz fan put out his top 25 preseason ranking, he had UND at 14.  I saw one person commented on how UND is a paper tiger as we had an easy schedule last year.  Which can't get too mad at the guy as we only have ourselves to blame for blowing that Richmond game.  We still have something to prove, hopefully our guys can get it done on the field next year. 

I hear you. One Fan board I have enjoyed lurking on the last couple years is the Yotes board. I think they are a very good up and coming Valley team (with a fantastic weight room-- just ask 'em). 

Bubba and UND absolutely should not and will not look past them or anyone this year.

That said....it is interesting to read their board to get a regional FCS fan's perspective on us. Bottomline: Not a whole lot of respect for FH football, although, I assume the sentiment would be the same from us toward them. I also assume there are a lot of important changes they don't know about us and vice versa (if we're both basing what we know about each other on last year's game at the Alerus).

Anyways.  Enjoy.

http://usdcoyotesports.proboards.com/thread/1852/2017-predictions 

27 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

This is the year to prove it. Last year I kept hearing how we avoided EWU and Montana. While it is true we avoided EWU I believe Montana avoided us. This year we play them both.

People also seem to forget that we ended NAU's 4 game winning streak coming into our game against them. Then they were flat the next week because we pretty much killed their momentum and enthusiasm.

Just now, UNDColorado said:

This is the year to prove it. Last year I kept hearing how we avoided EWU and Montana. While it is true we avoided EWU I believe Montana avoided us. This year we play them both.

People also seem to forget that we ended NAU's 4 game winning streak coming into our game against them. Then they were flat the next week because we pretty much killed their momentum and enthusiasm.

I can just hear the refrain this year if things hold the way preseason rankings are predicting, so far (which they won't):  "Well, Montana and EWU weren't as good as they usually are this year."  

It seems UND is damned one way and damned the other.... either we don't play them b/c of the unbalanced schedule or one or both are having a down year. 

MSU also has been relatively down lately.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I hear you. One Fan board I have enjoyed lurking on the last couple years is the Yotes board. I think they are a very good up and coming Valley team (with a fantastic weight room-- just ask 'em). 

Bubba and UND absolutely should not and will not look past them or anyone this year.

That said....it is interesting to read their board to get a regional FCS fan's perspective on us. Bottomline: Not a whole lot of respect for FH football, although, I assume the sentiment would be the same from us toward them. I also assume there are a lot of important changes they don't know about us and vice versa (if we're both basing what we know about each other on last year's game at the Alerus).

Anyways.  Enjoy.

http://usdcoyotesports.proboards.com/thread/1852/2017-predictions 

What I always think it is funny that USD thinks just because they play in the Valley that it makes them a premier team.  I hope we beat the snot out of them. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Big Green said:

What I always think it is funny that USD thinks just because they play in the Valley that it makes them a premier team.  I hope we beat the snot out of them. 

That thought has crossed my mind more than once. Still our boys need to demonstrate respect off the field, and once in the dome, the utmost contempt on the field.

• Upvote 1

As unflattering as it is, there is a lot of truth to what other teams fan bases said (are saying) about UND and their 2016 season. Does everyone remember how truly awful UND's offense was through the first 5 games? We all know the reasoning (brand new O-Line, WR core), but the fact was they were flat out atrocious. Now, they got better throughout the year and I thought were solid by the end of the year, but it took time. UND did have an easy schedule, not only who they played, but where. They played bad teams closer than they should have. The defense was opportunistic, but at times it was like the opposing offense could throw at will. At the end of the day, it was definitely a success, but I think some of the questions other people (& some of us here) have are valid.

The 3 headed monster of Jahanneson, Oliveira, and Santiago is going to be really fun watch.  If the running game clicks like most think it will, it is really going to open things up for Studsrud and make things a lot easier for him.  In the world of high flying passing offenses in the Big Sky, I like our pound the rock style to wear out opposing defenses every game.  Our offense definitely struggled out of the gate last year.  Hopefully this year they can hit the ground running (pun intended ;)

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

As unflattering as it is, there is a lot of truth to what other teams fan bases said (are saying) about UND and their 2016 season. Does everyone remember how truly awful UND's offense was through the first 5 games? We all know the reasoning (brand new O-Line, WR core), but the fact was they were flat out atrocious. Now, they got better throughout the year and I thought were solid by the end of the year, but it took time. UND did have an easy schedule, not only who they played, but where. They played bad teams closer than they should have. The defense was opportunistic, but at times it was like the opposing offense could throw at will. At the end of the day, it was definitely a success, but I think some of the questions other people (& some of us here) have are valid.

If there's a silver lining, it's that the offense hasn't lost much of anything and will be one year more experienced. They will need to play better starting out, though; no question. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

The 3 headed monster of Jahanneson, Oliveira, and Santiago is going to be really fun watch.  If the running game clicks like most think it will, it is really going to open things up for Studsrud and make things a lot easier for him.  In the world of high flying passing offenses in the Big Sky, I like our pound the rock style to wear out opposing defenses every game.  Our offense definitely struggled out of the gate last year.  Hopefully this year they can hit the ground running (pun intended ;)

This has me the most optimistic about 2017. Three all-conference quality runners all on the same team; provide average to above average blocking for them and UNDs offense should take the next step and compliment the defense very nicely. 

With all that said, injuries and off-the-field variables all are considerations to how a disappointment could occur. Excited but yet cautious.

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If there's a silver lining, it's that the offense hasn't lost much of anything and will be one year more experienced. They will need to play better starting out, though; no question. 

I think UND's offense in 2017 will be the best in the history of UND Football and will truly be "Championship" caliber. The way they play, I'm not saying they'll average 50 points a game, but they will be balanced with incredible depth. This will be the fist time ever they have a true 2 deep.

I have zero concerns about them offensively, my worries are at LB and Safety. It really is incredible where Bubba has taken this program.

• Upvote 1