SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

don't know about everyone else but i have not doubts that our d will be legit even against utah...the offense (rudy) i am holdng my breath tho...but i am breathing better with the adds of grady and jj tho but rudy still scares the crap out of me tho.

I agree.

Proof is in the pudding.

People are overthinking the LB issue as of this juncture.

Bubba and Schmidt have proven they can consistently produce top defenses at UND. UND's defense will again be fine in 2017. UND's offense still has some proving to do, though, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

It's a good thing stopping the run up the gut isn't that important in football.   :unsure:

2016 season ILB listed weights vs potential 2017 starters (weights from 2016 roster):

Labat 235                      Rodgers 225

O'Brien 225                   Disterhaupt 210

Bakker 235                    Geier    200

Rodgers 225                  Rastas 195

Rich 230                        Nevermann 215

Hunt 210

Murray 225

Obviously they are all working to beef up without losing speed, but will definitely be lighter.

7 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

2016 season ILB listed weights vs potential 2017 starters (weights from 2016 roster):

Labat 235                      Rodgers 225

O'Brien 225                   Disterhaupt 210

Bakker 235                    Geier    200

Rodgers 225                  Rastas 195

Rich 230                        Nevermann 215

Hunt 210

Murray 225

Obviously they are all working to beef up without losing speed, but will definitely be lighter.

Labat played OLB.

Being light at ILB is a concern against teams with big OL and big RBs that pound the rock up the gut but against the majority of college teams we will be better against the pass and outside runs. It's a catch 22, we are in good hands so I'm not concerned.

• Upvote 3

Although ILB is a concern, I also have confidence in the coaches that they will work to get them ready......although there is nothing like having game experience.  Having a strong D line will help, particularly Tank up the middle to plug things up.  Honestly I don't think anybody can say how it will work out over the course of the whole season and playoffs, we'll just have to see.  

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Although ILB is a concern, I also have confidence in the coaches that they will work to get them ready......although there is nothing like having game experience.  Having a strong D line will help, particularly Tank up the middle to plug things up.  Honestly I don't think anybody can say how it will work out over the course of the whole season and playoffs, we'll just have to see.  

You are correct on both counts.  D line should be a huge strength and could not ask for a better coach to get them ready than Coach Schmidt.  Should be fun to watch the progress.

I've got every confidence in Rodgers and Disterhaupt, even if it's new ground for Jake. Rastas has always intrigued me ever since I saw his H.S. hudl video, and based on the eye test, he's bulked up over the last year. That said, I never thought he'd be in the potential 2-deep mix this early. An FBS school was going to try Nevermann out at LB before he bolted for RB opportunities here, so he must have some attributes that make people think the position might be a good fit. I hope he hits and wraps up like fellow Euro Bakker did.

Finally, I hope that Dijon can get off the exercise bike and on the field and prove that he belongs here. 

• Upvote 1

Any insight as to the offensive side of the ball, RB, WR, TE and OLine. Read a lot about the Defence but would like some thoughts on the Offence as we approach the Utah game and Fall practice for those out of the loop, thanks.  

59 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I've got every confidence in Rodgers and Disterhaupt, even if it's new ground for Jake. Rastas has always intrigued me ever since I saw his H.S. hudl video, and based on the eye test, he's bulked up over the last year. That said, I never thought he'd be in the potential 2-deep mix this early. An FBS school was going to try Nevermann out at LB before he bolted for RB opportunities here, so he must have some attributes that make people think the position might be a good fit. I hope he hits and wraps up like fellow Euro Bakker did.

Finally, I hope that Dijon can get off the exercise bike and on the field and prove that he belongs here. 

Does anyone have any info on Cameron Hunt.  I understand he was injured for the spring game.  Was he injured for the whole spring?  Did he do much last fall in practice?  Could he be a factor?

6 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

If you want to bribe young women to hang out with you for a couple hours, there are websites for that. ;)

That sounds pretty slick!  Of course, there's something to be said for the old school way your mom did it.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Craig Haley give a watch list of the top ten QB's in the FCS

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-10-fcs-quarterbacks-watch-2017#1

I just don't get the love for Easton Stick. He is a good QB, not denying that, but top ten?

Maybe I have unfair expectations after seeing Wentz play for them. I do remember some family members saying he was supposed to be a better than Wentz (this was when he was recruited and before Wentz's play really took off). Like I said, maybe the expectations are a little inflated, but I would argue that his success has also been due to all of the pieces around him. Maybe he takes another step forward this year.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I just don't get the love for Easton Stick. He is a good QB, not denying that, but top ten?

Maybe I have unfair expectations after seeing Wentz play for them. I do remember some family members saying he was supposed to be a better than Wentz (this was when he was recruited and before Wentz's play really took off). Like I said, maybe the expectations are a little inflated, but I would argue that his success has also been due to all of the pieces around him. Maybe he takes another step forward this year.

two from the Big Sky are top five.

3 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Craig Haley give a watch list of the top ten QB's in the FCS

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-10-fcs-quarterbacks-watch-2017#1

58.7% Completion percentage isn't exactly tearing it up for Stick.  But when you have a 20-2 record as a starter you are going to get some recognition even if it's due to having a great team around you.   

5 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

he's a mouth breather and mouth breathers don't winny natty's

• Upvote 1