SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Gordon kind of seemed like a mini secret weapon, the other teams so focused on Santiago and Brady that when Gordon gets in the game he got some really good yards......almost like the defense wasn't expecting it. So many offensive weapons this year, will be interesting to see how Rudy tries to take advantage of that.  

I hope Rudy gets creative...he now has the tools to truly spread it around and keep team guessing.

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

With Grady back I am looking forward to the Utah game even more.  I was pretty worried about our OL in the first game to be honest.  Yes we were returning guys who would have a year more experience, but we had also lost Coe who was a very very good lineman and i think the loss of Coe verses the additional experience of the other guys would have maybe netted to a wash at the OL for 2017.  With Grady back I think the OL has the ability to take the next step.  Although Grady may be a little rusty his first game or two, but even so I think he'll help us get a better push than we would have gotten and open up some holes against Utah.  The last 3 years the OL has struggled the first few games, however they did well against Wyoming.....hopefully there is a repeat against Utah! 

It may even be safe to let Studs suit up for this game:D

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2017 at 7:15 PM, FBAlum said:

The second thing they could do is include the students... Allow them to come into the same spaces as everyone else... Excluding them from the fun etc. and it makes them not want to be there as much.  Just my .02...

I think there should be a program for each tailgating group to "adopt" some students. 

Would get them there for every game and hopefully get them hooked. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, VMeister said:

I think there should be a program for each tailgating group to "adopt" some students. 

We've invited groups of them over to help us finish our food and they've always been incredibly grateful. In fact they are more in disbelief for free food than anything. Simple gesture that's a win/win, no food wasted and happy students.  

12 hours ago, jdub27 said:

In fact they are more in disbelief for free food than anything. Simple gesture that's a win/win, no food wasted and happy students.  

Sidebar:
Back when Shangri-La was open, it was FB/MIH double-header Saturday and some obvious UND students walked in and sat down. You could tell they'd been at FB and I could hear them talking about "how much time before the game" (meaning hockey). My group watched them "pool resources" and order water and dinner for two ... for four of them.

Mysteriously :whistling: when their meal arrived there were two orders of dinner for two, the waitress asked what soft drinks they wanted, and their bill had been already paid. It was hilarious watching them first trying to explain to the waitress she'd brought the wrong order and then rubber-neck the room trying to figure out who'd done them right. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, VMeister said:

If you want to bribe young women to hang out with you for a couple hours, there are websites for that. ;)

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

If you want to bribe young women to hang out with you for a couple hours, there are websites for that. ;)

One could argue college aged women are underrepresented at tailgating, so he's really just trying to lift that group up. I, for one, commend him his efforts.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

One could argue college aged women are underrepresented at tailgating, so he's really just trying to lift that group up. I, for one, commend him his efforts.

Agreed, more women at tailgating is always a good thing. Another good example is girlfriends and wives refuse to go out to Utah with us for the opener. It would be fun to have them with but not really their idea of a Labor Day vacation. Secretly we are thrilled though because we wont have to lie about the number of beers drank lol.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Agreed, more women at tailgating is always a good thing. Another good example is girlfriends and wives refuse to go out to Utah with us for the opener. It would be fun to have them with but not really their idea of a Labor Day vacation. Secretly we are thrilled though because we wont have to lie about the number of beers drank lol.

Weird drinking laws in Utah (weird curtains, weak beer, no double shots), you have to buy a membership in order to drink and some places won't pour the hard stuff in your drink, you get a side cart and then your regular drink and mix yourself.  And it's pretty easy to get kicked out of strip joints there.  It was all pretty confusing, but a good time none the less!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Weird drinking laws in Utah (weird curtains, weak beer, no double shots), you have to buy a membership in order to drink and some places won't pour the hard stuff in your drink, you get a side cart and then your regular drink and mix yourself.  And it's pretty easy to get kicked out of strip joints there.  It was all pretty confusing, but a good time none the less!!

Someone else told me about that membership. Very weird but will also be very interesting at the same time! 

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

This technically illegal but we will be bringing our own beer. Living at altitude 3.2 beer is like drinking water when I am at a lower elevation. SLC is at 4,200 ft above sea level but I sleep at 8,700 feet above sea level so there is no way I will be drinking 3.2 beer lol.

19 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

It appears to me that we will be better with more depth in all positions in 2017 compared to 2016. Pretty impressive. Any thoughts?

This probably doesn't hold true at ILB, I believe we have only one guy on the team with a Division I snap under his belt at ILB, we will have to hope they will be as good as last year by mid season but I'd say starting the year they won't be as good as last year.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

This probably doesn't hold true at ILB, I believe we have only one guy on the team with a Division I snap under his belt at ILB, we will have to hope they will be as good as last year by mid season but I'd say starting the year they won't be as good as last year.  

Other than Rodgers, seems to be some unknowns at ILB and certainly most of ILB's will be on the light side.

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Other than Rodgers, seems to be some unknowns at ILB and certainly most of ILB's will be on the light side.

Yep, inexperienced and somewhat under sized for the position.  Hopefully they are able to hold their own. 

25 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

My hope is that our offense shows up early as it took them a few games to come around last year so maybe this can help make up for untested ILB's.