SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

About damn time. I - along with many others - have been bringing up the Alerus Center atmosphere countless times over the years. I'm interested to see what they come up with. Simply winning is not the only answer as some think. 

Go Hawks 

i agree someting needs to be done but to say that fargo u is what we need is stupid...their intro is nice but it isn't world beating

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i agree someting needs to be done but to say that fargo u is what we need is stupid...their intro is nice but it isn't world beating

Fargo U has done far better than us. Not a bad thing to shoot for. Hard to compliment the rival, but when it is true?

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Fargo U has done far better than us. Not a bad thing to shoot for. Hard to compliment the rival, but when it is true?

He's not the most positive guy.  Doesn't offer more than a compliment a year on here and even that is pushing it.

31 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

MInnesota-Crookston has done far better than us. Not a bad thing to shoot for. Hard to compliment the rival, but when it is true?

do i have to remind you of this from game one last year....."Ryan Bartels takes the kickoff 22 yards to the 30 yard line...first and ten hawks." seriously.

5 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Improving the experience all starts with tailgating. I'm not sure how the athletic department can necessarily improve that but I believe that's where it needs to begin. 

agree 100%...it needs to start right there

Is it safe to say that our group of RB's for 2017 is the best group of RB's we've ever had on one team?  I feel pretty darn good when any of them are in the game.  Gordon as the #4 could have been a starter on many of our teams. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Is it safe to say that our group of RB's for 2017 is the best group of RB's we've ever had on one team?  I feel pretty darn good when any of them are in the game.  Gordon as the #4 could have been a starter on many of our teams. 

he could also start on a lot of our competition.

21 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Yeah, he could.  And to think Nevermann would be in that group too if he didn't change to LB.  We didn't get to see much of Nevermann but he did look good from what we saw.....so would have been 5 legit starters.  It's too bad he got hurt last year, he could have gotten some reps and RB and even if he switched to LB this year I'm sure he would have enjoyed getting some reps at RB.  Even though he really wanted to play RB, his potential to see the field so much more at LB will hopefully get him excited about that.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Yeah, he could.  And to think Nevermann would be in that group too if he didn't change to LB.  We didn't get to see much of Nevermann but he did look good from what we saw.....so would have been 5 legit starters.  It's too bad he got hurt last year, he could have gotten some reps and RB and even if he switched to LB this year I'm sure he would have enjoyed getting some reps at RB.  Even though he really wanted to play RB, his potential to see the field so much more at LB will hopefully get him excited about that.  

Agreed. Add in our massive fullback Norberg as he has show that he can carry the ball well and a more experienced OL and I am excited for the opener in Utah!

• Upvote 1

Fair to say the talent is absolutely there at the RB position. These guys know what to do, so the only thing the coaches need to preach, over and over and over is BALL SECURITY!!! Even a great group of RBs can be a problem without ball security. Doesn't do much good to go 90 yards and fumble in the red zone or end zone. We have seen some of these issues from time to time over the past 2 years, so I'll hope that with more experience and coaching it won't be a major factor this year.

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Agreed. Add in our massive fullback Norberg as he has show that he can carry the ball well and a more experienced OL and I am excited for the opener in Utah!

With Grady back I am looking forward to the Utah game even more.  I was pretty worried about our OL in the first game to be honest.  Yes we were returning guys who would have a year more experience, but we had also lost Coe who was a very very good lineman and i think the loss of Coe verses the additional experience of the other guys would have maybe netted to a wash at the OL for 2017.  With Grady back I think the OL has the ability to take the next step.  Although Grady may be a little rusty his first game or two, but even so I think he'll help us get a better push than we would have gotten and open up some holes against Utah.  The last 3 years the OL has struggled the first few games, however they did well against Wyoming.....hopefully there is a repeat against Utah! 

5 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Can't wait for Utah! We won't be the favorites, and we won't get much respect, but if this team is serious about starting to contend for a Nat'l Championship, then they need to be able to go out there and compete. Not saying that if we lose its a lost season, that would be ridiculous, but we have to compete and play like we belong. 

This should be UND's deepest and most talented team yet. An upset here is certainly plausible.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Gordon kind of seemed like a mini secret weapon, the other teams so focused on Santiago and Brady that when Gordon gets in the game he got some really good yards......almost like the defense wasn't expecting it. So many offensive weapons this year, will be interesting to see how Rudy tries to take advantage of that.