SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

6 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Another article in GF Herald about our friends to the south FB team. These four days in a row articles are in print, not sure if online form. I'm seriously thinking of dropping this paper. 

Contact the GF Herald and let them know. They should understand if they have a bit of competitive understanding and/or control over the situation.

In my opinion, the Herald shouldn't print NDSU stories; that's the Forums job and interested Ag school fans can pursue stories there. GF and UND have their own DI football team and that team happens to be in competition with NDSU; thus, the Herald *should* leave NDSU alone and cover UND!

With all that said, the whole Forum Communications ownership thing is probably an issue that works in NDSU's favor - damn. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Another article in GF Herald about our friends to the south FB team. These four days in a row articles are in print, not sure if online form. I'm seriously thinking of dropping this paper. 

Really??  I don't get the Herald in print.  Can you post a picture or can anyone else corroborate?  

I believe it, but to run with it I need to see.

What's hilarious is there is an entire thread on Bville devoted to this sort of thing, except in reverse, as in too much UND news/sports in the Fargo Forum.  They blame it on the fact there is such a UND influence in the ownership, management and editorial leadership. 

In fact, Today's Fargo Forum sports front has a huge page carrying photo and story about UND.  That outta get the sports bros down south riled up!:D

I guess it goes both ways and you notice it more depending on which side your on.  Kind of like how libs see conservative bias in every hometown newspaper and local conservatives see only liberal bias in the very same newspapers. Two different takes through the same prism.

Oh well!  

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

This is all from Fargo Sports writers, correct.  So nothing is being written in Grand Forks about UND??

Slow sports time, so the Herald is running articles from the Forum to eat up what would probably just be Associated Press articles instead. The Forum does the same, running articles from the Herald. However the Forum has a dedicated beat writer to the football team, which is why you are seeing more football specific articles on NDSU. I'd love to see more coverage on the UND football team but there definitely isn't some grand conspiracy.

Just now, jdub27 said:

Slow sports time, so the Herald is running articles from the Forum to eat up what would probably just be Associated Press articles instead. The Forum does the same, however they have a dedicated beat writer to the football team, which is why you are seeing more football specific articles on NDSU.

11 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

What's hilarious is there is an entire thread on Bville devoted to this sort of thing, except in reverse, as in too much UND news/sports in the Fargo Forum.  They blame it on the fact there is such a UND influence in the ownership, management and editorial leadership. 

In fact, Today's Fargo Forum sports front has a huge page carrying photo and story about UND.  That outta get the sports bros down south riled up!:D

I guess it goes both ways and you notice it more depending on which side your on.  Kind of like how libs see conservative bias in every hometown newspaper and local conservatives see only liberal bias in the very same newspapers. Two different takes through the same prism.

Oh well!  

Let me know when the Fargo Forum runs 3 straight articles on UND Football.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Let me know when the Fargo Forum runs 3 straight articles on UND Football.

I don't bother with the print version of either of them, but there has been plenty of UND stuff on the Forum's website. I get what your point is, but they are literally just filling space with articles they don't have to pay for and are of at least a little local interest. The Herald is just reprinting stuff already done by under the Forum Communications umbrella. Schlossman and Miller have both had articles appear in the Fargo Forum for the same reason.

Edit - That wasn't directly at you, more of a general "no need to sound the alarms" post. It definitely was originally presented as something more than it was, causing some of the reactions.

• Upvote 2

It all comes back to "Follow the Money. Ad revenue is down in newspapers so they cut staff. When they cut staff they still need to fill the newspaper so more content has to come from outside the local news/sports room thus more USA today content and more content from sibling newspapers. 

• 3 weeks later...