SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

Hate losing a coach to a conference team if it's true.  Gives a better understanding to our defensive scheme to an already very good offense historically. 

Either way Coach Maurice was a fantastic guy.  Thank you for all you did in helping get UND back on track.  

For the athletic dept. need to find a way to increase coaches salaries if that was a factor.  

• Upvote 3

With Kevin Maurice leaving, I'm going to throw this out there to generate a little discussion:

Bubba isn't going anywhere, but IF he decided he was done tomorrow, who would be on UND's radar. I'd like to think the school tries to have a contingency plan for those kinds of scenarios, but have no idea. Would UND open up a national search? Is there someone currently on the staff who would be capable? Schmidt? 

Like I said, Bubba isn't going anywhere, and I hope he sticks around for quite a while, but just a "what if" kind of scenario.

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

With Kevin Maurice leaving, I'm going to throw this out there to generate a little discussion:

Bubba isn't going anywhere, but IF he decided he was done tomorrow, who would be on UND's radar. I'd like to think the school tries to have a contingency plan for those kinds of scenarios, but have no idea. Would UND open up a national search? Is there someone currently on the staff who would be capable? Schmidt? 

Like I said, Bubba isn't going anywhere, and I hope he sticks around for quite a while, but just a "what if" kind of scenario.

I've gotta think Schmidt is the heir apparent as long as he's here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, homer said:

As the program improves we are going to lose coaches. 

Losing coaches to a conference team for the same position, though, is an issue. Promotions or a move to the FBS is more understandable. UND apparently just couldn't match EWU which highlights UND football still has work to do in terms of funding (which most of us already knew). 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Do we know it's for the same position?

I am not sure, but I imagine it being hard for EWU to top the responsibilities of recruiting coordinator AND position coach. Only true promotion that is possible, in my opinion, would be coordinator with play-calling duties. 

EDIT: Either way, my concerns remain the same. UND shouldn't lose coaches to conference rivals. A move to the FBS is understandable but a parallel move to a conference school is always troubling for the departed school (in this case, UND). 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I am not sure, but I imagine it being hard for EWU to top the responsibilities of recruiting coordinator AND position coach. Only true promotion that is possible, in my opinion, would be coordinator with play-calling duties. 

EDIT: Either way, my concerns remain the same. UND shouldn't lose coaches to conference rivals. A move to the FBS is understandable but a parallel move to a conference school is always troubling for the departed school (in this case, UND). 

Its a tough spot but I think UND is pretty attractive right now if you are a coach looking for an opportunity.  Especially if the position they look to fill is that of RB.  Don't jump off the cliff yet.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, homer said:

Its a tough spot but I think UND is pretty attractive right now if you are a coach looking for an opportunity.  Especially if the position they look to fill is that of RB.  Don't jump off the cliff yet.

I didn't say I was going to. It is possible to actually identify issues without an all or nothing, doom and gloom approach. Constructive criticism is more than appropriate here, in my opinion. 

The issue is UND should not be losing coaches to division rivals. Now, without knowing the whole story, this particular situation may be the exception, but UND needs to be able to retain coaches against other FCS programs. 

I can imagine most programs would rather be focusing on other things (e.g., spring ball) than finding a new coach this time of year, but you are right in that UND is attractive in terms of its RB talent and overall 2017 prospects. The thing is, many coaching candidates (not all) are most interested in the competitive dollars UND can potentially provide their assistants and there is doubt there for UND yet.

I hope for a good, positive hire.

Move Freund to recruiting coordinator and hire a RB coach.  Not only do I think he's the right guy for the job, but hiring for a position vs hiring for a position and recruiting coordinator who needs to learn the landscape in a hurry, will be a much smoother transition. 

• Upvote 2