SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

8 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Looks like Arnell has tweeted NCAA ruled no hardship year for him.  He's pretty upset and justly so. 

If his jersey was green and yellow I bet the NCAA gives him the green light to play. This is total !@#$.

14 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

A miss is a miss with field goals, the longer they are the more risk of a block because of trajectory.  

I am referring to height and distance in regards to Kick-offs and Kick-off coverage.  The more height and distance the more time the coverage team has to get down the field, get off blocks, make a tackle, preventing the other team from obtaining good field position and/or momentum.  

No blocked kicks the past two years, per Geaux Sioux"s stats. So what's your explanation for the big drop off in FG % from 40 to 49 yds this past year (4 of 10) vs the two previous years? ( 8 of 10)

37 minutes ago, SooToo said:

No blocked kicks the past two years, per Geaux Sioux"s stats. So what's your explanation for the big drop off in FG % from 40 to 49 yds this past year (4 of 10) vs the two previous years? ( 8 of 10)

Too much wind in the Alerus with higher attendance.

• Upvote 1

So he was at SBCC for three years (one of them a redshirt per his SBCC coach) before UND. He played in three games in 2015. He played 2016. 

So he did take a redshirt year at SBCC. That probably tipped the NCAA to "no". 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So he was at SBCC for three years (one of them a redshirt per his SBCC coach) before UND. He played in three games in 2015. He played 2016. 

I didn't see that he had taken a redshirt on SBCC. That makes a pretty big difference.

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Since a lot of players take a redshirt year, why don't they just get rid of the medical hardship altogether? Either use it as it was intended or don't have it.

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Since a lot of players take a redshirt year, why don't they just get rid of the medical hardship altogether? Either use it as it was intended or don't have it.

What do you mean use it as intended? The rules are outlined and it is very beneficial for players who didn't use a redshirt and got hurt in one of their 4 years or for players who lost two or more years to injury.

Right now it's "five years to complete four seasons of play". 

Why not change it to "four seasons of play to be completed before the player's 24th birthday". Keep the definition of "season of play" the same*.

It takes all the appeals and scenarios out of play: Mormon mission? Get your four seasons in before 24. Zach Arenell scenario? 2015 doesn't count (<30%), but how old is he? That'd determine if he can play in 2017. 

*Participation in 30% or more of a team's games with none of the participated in games in the second half of the team's scheduled season. 

6 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Or just change it all together and let every athlete play 5 years and do away with redshirting - most students aren't graduating in four years anymore anyway. 

Or...leave it alone? The system works just fine. 

FWIW, I don't think DeLuca should have gotten a redshirt,  he chose to shut his season down.  That rubs me the wrong way. 

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Or...leave it alone? The system works just fine. 

FWIW, I don't think DeLuca should have gotten a redshirt,  he chose to shut his season down.  That rubs me the wrong way. 

I think the NCAA is fairly lax on how they determine if an injury is keeping you from playing.  Case Keenum separated his shoulder the summer before his redshirt year and even though it probably really didn't keep him from playing it was enough for the school to claim that's why he took the redshirt.  In order to be granted a sixth year, you must miss two complete years (it's pretty clear how the NCAA defines a complete year) because of injury.

3 hours ago, SooToo said:

Probably the Jews or laces weren't out......

The truth is could be the snap, the hold, the kick, the elements.  It probably isn't fair to just look at the numbers, but that's what we do.  He missed 2 at Bowling Green and that was an awful swirling high wind and occasional rain day, very challenging conditions on those 2 misses.  Kickers are a big mystery and I don't have the code to crack it.

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

Probably the Jews or laces weren't out......

The truth is could be the snap, the hold, the kick, the elements.  It probably isn't fair to just look at the numbers, but that's what we do.  He missed 2 at Bowling Green and that was an awful swirling high wind and occasional rain day, very challenging conditions on those 2 misses.  Kickers are a big mystery and I don't have the code to crack it.

I too blame Jews when kickers miss.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

The medical hardship are not as ambiguous as everybody seems to think they are.  Unless Clives George can prove his redshirt year at UA was because of injury, he won't be getting a medical hardship either.

There is a lot of grey area.  It's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be either.  I had a conversation with one of NDSUs coaches after DeLuca got granted And they were fairly certain it was going to happen but couldn't 100% guarantee it would be granted.  There was a lot of work that went into making the decision to end his season after he wasn't needed anymore.   

On 12/29/2016 at 6:27 PM, shep said:

Other than UND, USC is my favorite team. I wish there was an 8 team playoff as NO team is hotter than they have been the last 2 months.

Hard to forget that unbelievably embarrassing stomp down that Alabama put on them at home. Why would anyone want to see that happen again in the playoffs? 

2 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Hard to forget that unbelievably embarrassing stomp down that Alabama put on them at home. Why would anyone want to see that happen again in the playoffs? 

Totally understand, but it was the first game of the year, with a different QB than the guy who was undefeated since taking over. I just think, even if you disregard USC, that an 8 team playoff is better and would allow for a "hot" team to make a move during the playoffs. No one has EVER argued that BCS playoffs should be reduced. They play the same game with college students and it's a great thing for all those schools.

1 hour ago, shep said:

Totally understand, but it was the first game of the year, with a different QB than the guy who was undefeated since taking over. I just think, even if you disregard USC, that an 8 team playoff is better and would allow for a "hot" team to make a move during the playoffs. No one has EVER argued that BCS playoffs should be reduced. They play the same game with college students and it's a great thing for all those schools.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that it should be at least 8 teams. A lot of these bowl games are a joke. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, homer said:

There is a lot of grey area.  It's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be either.  I had a conversation with one of NDSUs coaches after DeLuca got granted And they were fairly certain it was going to happen but couldn't 100% guarantee it would be granted.  There was a lot of work that went into making the decision to end his season after he wasn't needed anymore.   

Not really.  The only gray area is what the NCAA determines to be a season ending injury, and like I stated before, they seem to be pretty lax on that qualification. 

7 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Not really.  The only gray area is what the NCAA determines to be a season ending injury, and like I stated before, they seem to be pretty lax on that qualification. 

I'll sum up your post- "there is no grey area but the only grey area is.  They seem lax on it but it's not clearly defined. ".