SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

3 hours ago, John W. said:

Typical of the Bizzon football arrogance....thinking Bohl and/or Klieman have a shot at the Gopher job...Forum Communications Inc., get a grip!!!!

Actually, I though the Gophers should have looked at Bohl the last time around. I still think he would be a solid candidate. He didn't well in freaking Wyoming. He would do better at the U with more resources, more support and already having a good grip on his recruiting area.

Not saying he would have guaranteed success, there is never guaranteed success with any coach, especially when you put them somewhere like the U that has struggled for consistency for as long as they have. I think Bohl has certainly shown he is capable of winning and developing that winning mentality that so many programs lack. 

Have to look at Les Miles since he is available, and bring a big time name.

Have to look at the W. Michigan coach given what he has done.

But, I think you could throw Bohl's name into the hat as well. Not saying he should absolutely get it, but he should be looked at.

17 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Agreed. If people can't help themselves they should put that stuff somewhere else. I'd rather understand how our kick coverage isn't going to be so scary next year here.

Solution to improving kickoff coverage: Take all of the time spent on punt coverage and remove it from practice (we won't need to worry about it since we won't be punting). Use said time to practice kickoff coverage, as that will be far more relevant after all of the TDs we put up.

.... while we're at it, chuck the pigskin.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Agreed. If people can't help themselves they should put that stuff somewhere else. I'd rather understand how our kick coverage isn't going to be so scary next year here.

Kick coverage was basically solved at the end of the year by putting better players in for it. As depth / talent improves, so will the Special Teams coverage units. My concern with Special Teams is (1) Finding a guy that can catch the ball, without making it look like it's the most difficult thing in the world (i.e. no Siebel) on punt returns (2) What is everyone's opinion on the Freshman kicker? Taubs has a mediocre leg and can't put the ball in the end zone on a regular basis. Would you pull the RS from Leach if he can launch them into the end zone and use him only on kick offs? Or would that be a waste?

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Kick coverage was basically solved at the end of the year by putting better players in for it. As depth / talent improves, so will the Special Teams coverage units. My concern with Special Teams is (1) Finding a guy that can catch the ball, without making it look like it's the most difficult thing in the world (i.e. no Siebel) on punt returns (2) What is everyone's opinion on the Freshman kicker? Taubs has a mediocre leg and can't put the ball in the end zone on a regular basis. Would you pull the RS from Leach if he can launch them into the end zone and use him only on kick offs? Or would that be a waste?

Agree so much on Seibel returning punts. There has to be someone else who can catch the ball without making your cringe every time.

IMO if the Freshman kicker can outperform Taubs, then pull the shirt. No clue on the kids skill though.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

IMO if the Freshman kicker can outperform Taubs, then pull the shirt. No clue on the kids skill though.

It seems the surgery he had after his freshman year really affected him and wondering if he was finally getting his leg back to full strength this season. Went from averaging 62.5 yards/kickoff and 15-50 on touchbacks his freshman year to  52 yards and 2-42 on touchbacks his sophomore year and 59.1 yards and 19-68 on touchbacks this year. Also this doesn't take into account with what he's being directed to do by the staff (short or directional kicks to avoid certain returners), but with how kick coverage was this year, you would have to assume that more touchbacks would have been the easiest solution.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It seems the surgery he had after his freshman year really affected him and wondering if he was finally getting his leg back to full strength this season. Went from averaging 62.5 yards/kickoff and 15-50 on touchbacks his freshman year to  52 yards and 2-42 on touchbacks his sophomore year and 59.1 yards and 19-68 on touchbacks this year. Also this doesn't take into account with what he's being directed to do by the staff (short or directional kicks to avoid certain returners), but with how kick coverage was this year, you would have to assume that more touchbacks would have been the easiest solution.

Agreed, I don't actually want to burn a kids redshirt, and I hope they don't have to. I would prefer to see Taubs come back and have a strong season; but even more so, I just want to see the best player on the field.

Hopefully the kid comes back strong next season.

23 minutes ago, AJS said:

Kick coverage has 3 categories.  This is my analysis - 50% is the kicker and his kick (height and distance), 40% is the talent and effort from the players, and 10% is execution with avoiding blocks, taking on blocks, and containment.  Our kicker was average so that's not a good start.  We had 2-3 good coverage guys but too many average Joes.  We need 5-6 good coverage guys and I think that will be better in 2017.

Overall I think most are too hard on Siebel, that's a really challenging job, punt returner.  My guess is there is hardly a guy on this forum with the balls to stand back and return punts at the college level.

Kicker - Best man win.  Taubs was pretty mediocre last year.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, teamsioux said:

Zach Arnell is listed as a RS Jr on the UND website for the 2016 season.  Did I miss an announcement?

I've been asking this question since the beginning of the year. I was always under the impression that he got a Medical RS last year. During the year, I saw him listed as both a JR and SR (on broadcasts), which was confusing. In his end of the year analysis, Tom Miller talked posted this about Arnell.

"Lastly, I’ll look at the medical hardships of Zach Arnell and Clive Georges.

The Arnell question is big. UND doesn’t have an obvious next man up at safety opposite Cole Reyes."

As you said, he's listed as a JR on the UND website. What I can't understand is since the injury took place last year, wouldn't they have applied for the RS last year? It's a really confusing situation that I'd like clarified.

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I've been asking this question since the beginning of the year. I was always under the impression that he got a Medical RS last year. During the year, I saw him listed as both a JR and SR (on broadcasts), which was confusing. In his end of the year analysis, Tom Miller talked posted this about Arnell.

The Arnell question is big. UND doesn’t have an obvious next man up at safety opposite Cole Reyes."

As you said, he's listed as a JR on the UND website. What I can't understand is since the injury took place last year, wouldn't they have applied for the RS last year? It's a really confusing situation that I'd like clarified.

Seems strange that Tom Miller can't get clarification on that. Seems to be a pretty straight forward questions that any coach could answer. "Yes, he got the RS and will play next year" or "No, he has not got the RS, but is still pursuing it.

As for Clive, does anyone know what the timeline is on getting the RS approval? I would assume the process has to move somewhat quick to allow these kids to plan and register for school, but maybe not.

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

I don't believe you can apply for a medical redshirt until you've used up all of your other years first.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't have even noticed it if the RS wasn't there as I was looking up something different.  I find it weird to have that designation on the UND website with no other info out there. As AJS stated I also remember seeing both Jr. and Sr. at various times during season but the RS jumped out at me this time.  And with the Bison already receiving an answer on a big player I am hoping UND would be hearing soon.

18 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I don't believe you can apply for a medical redshirt until you've used up all of your other years first.

Thanks! Interesting and definitely answers my Arnell question. Looks like the UND website was just optimistic listing him as a RS JR. Really hoping he gets the hardship waiver as he's a key player in the secondary.

46 minutes ago, teamsioux said:

I wouldn't have even noticed it if the RS wasn't there as I was looking up something different.  I find it weird to have that designation on the UND website with no other info out there. As AJS stated I also remember seeing both Jr. and Sr. at various times during season but the RS jumped out at me this time.  And with the Bison already receiving an answer on a big player I am hoping UND would be hearing soon.

I was at the Senior Day game and I'm quite sure that Arnell was one of the seniors honored that day.

20 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

I was at the Senior Day game and I'm quite sure that Arnell was one of the seniors honored that day.

I believe Clive also.  UND would have recognized them in case waivers are not granted and their UND careers are done I would guess.

32 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Me either, but I am holding out hope because he missed half the year last year, then season ending injury of game 1 this year.

I do expect Arnell to be back. 

The word is the process is not consistent.  Each case gets assigned to an agent of the NCAA and both cases are near a coin flip.  Arnell's case might be stronger with it being a 2nd major injury.  We should know within the next 2-3 weeks.

42 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The other question with Clive is, if given the extra year, can he actually come back and be himself? He suffered a terrible injury. 

That's kinda my question... you don't just waltz back into being the athlete you were with that kind of leg injury