Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
F'n Hawks

2017 Season

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, shep said:

RSFrs Jeremy Jenkins, Conner Kruse and Will Prine gonna be anything. Jenkins listed as 6'7" 275. Kruse 6'6" 295.Prine 6'6" 255. Add a few lbs to each?

Kruse is a big boy. Wide as a damn door frame.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Speaking of size, I saw Rain Slater at the hockey game with (I believe) Tobin, and he made Tobin look tiny in comparison. He is HUGE

He is one guy that is very under the radar. Country skrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, the green team said:

Here’s a hypothetical question.  What will Bubba have to do next year not to be on a hot seat and/or for it to be considered a step forward?

 

 

 I would say a 7+ win season with a playoff appearance would be enough for Bubba’s job to be safe. A step forward would be building off of the 2016, and winning a playoff game, even if it weren’t at home or as a seeded team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He is one guy that is very under the radar. Country skrong.

I agree, (albiet from my untrained eye) after watching that story on him.....I think we may have gotten a steal there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2016 at 1:53 PM, Westside said:

John Santiago had 9 (yes, NINE) catches in 2016.  This needs to change in 2017.

 

Bumping this post from Dec '16. 

It did change in 2017..... He had 10 ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continuing with the random stats:

The leading tackler was a 200 pound redshirt freshman linebacker.

The first DL to show up as a leading tackler? Down the list at number 11. Above that are half LBs and half DBs. This defense is supposed have the LBs making the tackles. 

Of the 39 guys who made a tackle (defense or special teams) only 13 (yeah, just 1/3) played in all 11 games.

Think about that: Guys good enough to be on the field on defense or special teams, only 1 of 3 was there every week (Flowers, Palmborg, Blubaugh, Carter, Shannon, Greely, Cieslak, Wilson, Nevermann, Greer, Holmen, Carr, Santiago). 

 

The leading interceptors (with a stunning 2 each) were a LB and a safety. The 300 pound Austin Cieslak came in with 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Continuing with the random stats:

The leading tackler was a 200 pound redshirt freshman linebacker.

The first DL to show up as a leading tackler? Down the list at number 11. Above that are half LBs and half DBs. This defense is supposed have the LBs making the tackles. 

Of the 39 guys who made a tackle (defense or special teams) only 13 (yeah, just 1/3) played in all 11 games.

Think about that: Guys good enough to be on the field on defense or special teams, only 1 of 3 was there every week (Flowers, Palmborg, Blubaugh, Carter, Shannon, Greely, Cieslak, Wilson, Nevermann, Greer, Holmen, Carr, Santiago). 

 

The leading interceptors (with a stunning 2 each) were a LB and a safety. The 300 pound Austin Cieslak came in with 1. 

But we have 16 defensive lineman rotating in.........for 3 positions that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Total offense? In only 4 games played, Zimmerman was fourth in total offense. 

Since that only counts passing and rushing stats, the only other person who you'd maybe expect in front of him would have been Johannesson.

 

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Santiago was the only punt returner for the season and only returned 11. 

Everyone else was instructed to just fair catch it and even that became a challenge at times. Even with that, opposing teams only averaged 36.2 net yards/punt. That is propped up a bit by the 50.3 net average on 7 punts (!!!) by EWU. Without that last game, opponents net put average was 33.9 yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

But we have 16 defensive lineman rotating in.........for 3 positions that is.

I thought we had too many DL too and then I looked up what we had in our best d2 years and 16 is about par. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, geaux_sioux said:

I thought we had too many DL too and then I looked up what we had in our best d2 years and 16 is about par. 

A lot of smash mouth back then.  Game has changed and athletes have changed.  Need to defend more in space now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

A lot of smash mouth back then.  Game has changed and athletes have changed.  Need to defend more in space now.

Maybe we could handle having fewer on the roster if the ends would put on some damn weight so they can set the edge. Moving to The Valley and against some CAA teams we need lots of bodies in the trenches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Maybe we could handle having fewer on the roster if the ends would put on some damn weight so they can set the edge. 

I see next year as D-Line #1 being the Full Meal Deal.  Cieslack, Tank, Bennett followed by the Freshman Fury of Ott, Morris, and Senguin.  Could be really good.  But without a difference maker at LB and in the secondary, could all be for nothing. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I see next year as D-Line #1 being the Full Meal Deal.  Cieslack, Tank, Bennett followed by the Freshman Fury of Ott, Morris, and Senguin.  Could be really good.  But without a difference maker at LB and in the secondary, could all be for nothing. 

Some plays Cielslak looks like an NFL guy. Then he disappears for a few games. If he can tap into that level of play consistently he has the ability to wreck an offense by himself.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Some plays Cielslak looks like an NFL guy. Then he disappears for a few games. If he can tap into that level of play consistently he has the ability to wreck an offense by himself.

For him it’s conditioning.  I think you were spot on when you said he needs to drop a few lbs this off season.  He gets tired and will get hooked or reached   Stops playing with his hands  

He is very athletic for a big guy. Just needs to stay on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, homer said:

For him it’s conditioning.  I think you were spot on when you said he needs to drop a few lbs this off season.  He gets tired and will get hooked or reached   Stops playing with his hands  

He is very athletic for a big guy. Just needs to stay on the field. 

For about a quarter against EWU he did what he wanted when he wanted with their tackle. He was tossing that poor guy around like it was his little brother on thanksgiving in the backyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

For about a quarter against EWU he did what he wanted when he wanted with their tackle. He was tossing that poor guy around like it was his little brother on thanksgiving in the backyard.

Haha this brings back memories! My older brother and I used to use our hockey gear and play football in the yard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Haha this brings back memories! My older brother and I used to use our hockey gear and play football in the yard. 

I’m the younger brother so obviously I’m more athletic and tougher due to all the L’s i took before puberty evened the playing field.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m the younger brother so obviously I’m more athletic and tougher due to all the L’s i took before puberty evened the playing field.

Ha, forgot to add that trees were the sidelines...always ended well ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×