SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I took a lot of positives out of last nights game, the final score looked lopsided, but (like most games this year) it kind of snowballed. Yesterday, it was a combination of what has to be the worst 3rd / 4th down defense in the country as far as % of getting a stop and uncharacteristically bad turnovers by Studsrud and the inability to pick up the 4th and short. You make a stop and you get that yard and it's a potential 14 point swing on two plays. As bad as the defense was, it could have easily been 28-27 UND early in the 3rd. 

Simply put, the defense will be night and day better next year, it won't be even close. The weaknesses that opponents have exploited all year won't be there wif th the injured players at full health. At full health, they'll be great, but even with injuries, it can't be to the level it is this year and they'll still be greatly improved. 

I've said the same thing.   The run up the gut for an easy 6 yards won't happen next year for opposing offenses.  If Deion comes back healthy with Evan there are two great cbs to go along with the two talented young safeties canady and ty gaining game time experience and the biggest return is a healthy Donnell....he is the catalyst!  The D fell apart with his departure.  The true fresh D line this year have some serious talent.  Zeke could easily start alongside either Mason or Austin next year.   I truly believe next years D will be all kinds of bad ass ....if they don't sustain 15-20 injuries that is. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I've said the same thing.   The run up the gut for an easy 6 yards won't happen next year for opposing offenses.  If Deion comes back healthy with Evan there are two great cbs to go along with the two talented young safeties canady and ty gaining game time experience and the biggest return is a healthy Donnell....he is the catalyst!  The D fell apart with his departure.  The true fresh D line this year have some serious talent.  Zeke could easily start alongside either Mason or Austin next year.   I truly believe next years D will be bad ass ....if they don't sustain 15-20 injuries that is. 

We need a couple drop-down DBs.

To sum up 2017-

The combination of average on field talent, use/nonuse of talent, and schematics were disappointing.  

Our roster is pretty thin, still, talent wise.

If we have guys receiving $$ that are not going to contribute, it has to be pulled.  If a coach isn't D I competent, he needs to go.  North Dakota nice is never going to place us as a perennial top 10 team.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

To sum up 2017-

The combination of average on field talent, use/nonuse of talent, and schematics were disappointing.  

If we have guys receiving $$ that are not going to contribute, it has to be pulled.  If a coach isn't D I competent, he needs to go.  North Dakota nice is never going place us as a perennial top 10 team.

Right On

Negative performance reports for coaches and players need to be honored with loss of position and/or scholarship. 

Time to advocate for a god damn winning program.

• Upvote 1

Watching the OU/TCU game and I can't help but wonder what might have been had UND used their running back (particularly Santiago) like how OU does in the passing game. More often than not, if a RB is in on a passing play he was kept in as a blocker. Didn't leak them out, didn't really swing them out. Boring, unimaginative, simple to defend. 

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

To sum up 2017-

If we have guys receiving $$ that are not going to contribute, it has to be pulled.  If a coach isn't D I competent, he needs to go.  North Dakota nice is never going to place us as a perennial top 10 team.

So Bubba can take a team from 3-8 (2013 Muss’s last season) to 5-7 in 2014 with mostly Muss’s players to 7-4 and an FBS win (our first) in 2015 to winning the BSC last season and getting us into the playoffs (our first), how is that not DI competent? You wanna go back to the Muss days and reserect the Fire Muss thread?  Even Dale Lennon had a hiccup season in 2002 or do fans forget that. Did Roger Thomas have a hiccup season of course he did. Yes 3 wins sucks but it’s not the end of the world. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So Bubba can take a team from 3-8 (2013 Muss’s last season) to 5-7 in 2014 with mostly Muss’s players to 7-4 and an FBS win (our first) in 2015 to winning the BSC last season and getting us into the playoffs (our first), how is that not DI competent? You wanna go back to the Muss days and reserect the Fire Muss thread?  Even Dale Lennon had a hiccup season in 2002 or do fans forget that. Did Roger Thomas have a hiccup season of course he did. Yes 3 wins sucks but it’s not the end of the world. 

Then explain the regression of our OL.

31 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I am actually calling on Bubba to review his staff.  Staff to review their players and scheme.  I am not a fire Bubba guy.

And not sure who makes this call, but a medical/training staff review, too.

And S&C, would like to see some individualization in the program.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Think you may have a point ... Mussman was a better recruiter than Schweigert. Next year will be very important in showing how Schweigert's style of recruiting under the radar high schoolers pans out. Is it effective, or does the staff need to be better at getting talent that other teams covet? I understand that there were a lot of injuries this year, but the drop off from the beginning of the season has been alarming. Shouldn't backups at this level at least be competitive? Especially after having multiple game experience as the year progresses? If UND wants to beat more than the likes of Missouri State, Indiana State and Southern Illinois of the MVFC, The Hawks must have a roster that can overcome injuries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

I am actually calling on Bubba to review his staff.  Staff to review their players and scheme.  I am not a fire Bubba guy.

And not sure who makes this call, but a medical/training staff review, too.

And S&C, would like to see some individualization in the program.

We have absolutely no evidence to show that Bubba is one bit introspective as shown by the total lack of adjustments this season.  How would you feel about him if he changes absolutely nothing (which in my opinion is a possibility).

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Think you may have a point ... Mussman was a better recruiter than Schweigert. Next year will be very important in showing how Schweigert's style of recruiting under the radar high schoolers pans out. Is it effective, or does the staff need to be better at getting talent that other teams covet? I understand that there were a lot of injuries this year, but the drop off from the beginning of the season has been alarming. Shouldn't backups at this level at least be competitive? Especially after having multiple game experience as the year progresses? If UND wants to beat more than the likes of Missouri State, Indiana State and Southern Illinois of the MVFC, The Hawks must have a roster that can overcome injuries.

You think Mussman recruited better than Bubba?  

My first issue with Bubba this year started in the Utah game. We were down I think by 14, 8 minutes or so left in the game at midfield and he punted. I was seriously disappointed. We were playing to keep it close and I hate that way of thinking. It was kind of a sign of what was to come this year. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

You think Mussman recruited better than Bubba?  

That's what Darell's post implies. Bubba's better teams had more Mussman recruits. Schweigert's underclassmen were outmatched this year, even when going up against freshman quarterbacks.

i think the answer lies in 2018, with Schweigert's recruits and none of Mussman's leftovers