SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Tell me about an offensive line and I'll tell you about a team's season.

Which season?  Next?  Ok, you know who's likely returning, and you've seen the Hudl tape on the ones who red shirted and the one likely to sign on the dotted line in February..... So how we gonna do next year, Mel Kiper?  World beaters?  Middle of the pack?  Also rans? ( :

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2016 at 4:54 PM, zonadub said:

Big talk for a Notre Dame fan

Lol well in an 8 team playoff,  the 9th team doesn't get in.  That's...pretty straightforward 

On 12/31/2016 at 5:17 PM, F'n Hawks said:

Notre Dame fired oc, dc, special teams coach and strength coach... Terrible year 

They didn't fire the OC. They left. Very bad year though!

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, geaux_sioux said:

I think the memory of choking at home in the playoffs will motivate them on its own. 

I also thought getting screwed in the playoffs the previous year would have motivated them for 2016 to start strong.....and we didn't look good at all to start the year this year.  Hopefully with more starting lineman returning next year that will help.  But even Keaton look poor for a lot of the SB game.  It almost seemed like they started 2016 just expecting they would be better, but that wasn't the case.  The offense wasn't clicking at all.    I like that Utah is our first game of the year next year though, knowing we have a really tough opener should help keep them motivated.

So since we want to focus on the thick-ankle dudes that pave the way for TDs instead of the flashy objects that actually score them -- are we projecting, from an experience standpoint (granted that lingering injuries and spring/fall camp performances can alter things), an O line that looks like this:

LT  Stockwell, Sr.

LG Bell, Sr.

C Aplin, Jr.

RG Taylor, Jr.

RT Cox, Sr.

Any up and comers angling to dethrone a presumed starter and seize a job?

36 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

So since we want to focus on the thick-ankle dudes that pave the way for TDs instead of the flashy objects that actually score them -- are we projecting, from an experience standpoint (granted that lingering injuries and spring/fall camp performances can alter things), an O line that looks like this:

LT  Stockwell, Sr.

LG Bell, Sr.

C Aplin, Jr.

RG Taylor, Jr.

RT Cox, Sr.

Any up and comers angling to dethrone a presumed starter and seize a job?

RT Blair for sure. Aplin at LG and Rooney at OC

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Which season?  Next?  Ok, you know who's likely returning, and you've seen the Hudl tape on the ones who red shirted and the one likely to sign on the dotted line in February..... So how we gonna do next year, Mel Kiper?  World beaters?  Middle of the pack?  Also rans? ( :

Tell me that you lose all five starters, including three all-conference guys, and replace them with three RFr with a combined 50 snaps of college ball to go with two returning sophomores who only played parts of the last three games of the year due to injuries, I'd say you're not in a good place.

Tell me you're returning eight guys who all started games, and it's an upperclassman dominated group, that set the stage for a run based offensive attack but that had some injury and consistency problems I'd say you're in a better place that the first group. ;) 

Tell me about your offensive line and I'll tell you about your season, but I'm not looking for the information until late August. :)

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Tell me that you lose all five starters, including three all-conference guys, and replace them with three RFr with a combined 50 snaps of college ball to go with two returning sophomores who only played parts of the last three games of the year due to injuries, I'd say you're not in a good place.

Tell me you're returning eight guys who all started games, and it's an upperclassman dominated group, that set the stage for a run based offensive attack but that had some injury and consistency problems I'd say you're in a better place that the first group. ;) 

Tell me about your offensive line and I'll tell you about your season, but I'm not looking for the information until late August. :)

That's what I thought.  I tend to agree. 

29 minutes ago, shep said:

Who were the 2 RS's whose RS was put on red alert near the end of the season as injuries continued to decimate the line? Are they ready to go next season?

I wanna say Russo and Mortel .... would think they'll be even more ready after winter weights, spring and fall camp.  Oh and more trips to the feed wagon.  LOL!

edit: I can't find the exact write up but there were really good reports on TOBIN, too.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but I see that Utah fired their offensive coordinator (not sure why, since they had a successful season; must have been something behind the scenes). They have hired the OC from E.Washington. Will be interesting to see how that impacts both teams, especially since we play both next season. 

I would like to think UND will be competitive against Utah (though they will need to start the season better that 2016). Purely looking on paper, UND should be competitive though. We retain a lot of talent, with some tremendous new talent coming in. O-line will be much more seasoned. If Studs can start the season well, or get beat out by the new guy (not predicting this at all, just want the best guy to play), then it could be a fun game to watch.

Already so pumped to watch these guys next season. Until then, I can't wait for signing day (hope there is an online streaming show again) and for camps to start. Looking forward to hearing how the new guys look; definitely a positive that a few of them are coming in mid-season. Hopefully, everyone sticks around and we don't see any defections.

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

with the new contracts the guys have what would the ballpark figure that a guy like stepps or gigli will make next year...everyone know bubba's number what would be a lineman coach or db coach make with the raises?

I am not going to guess a number but it seems like the whole staff is sticking together this year and why wouldn't they, we have the strongest team in recent history on paper coming back next year.  If 2017 is highly successful, look for some guys on the staff having opportunities to jump ship.  I think Bubba and Schmitty are the most critical to maintain long term cause most of our identity comes from them.

17 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

with the new contracts the guys have what would the ballpark figure that a guy like stepps or gigli will make next year...everyone know bubba's number what would be a lineman coach or db coach make with the raises?

Ok, I'll guess $49,000.......pretty much chicken scratchings.