SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: North Dakota v. Richmond

bincitysioux

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm with RD17 (a couple posts back).

This is another step in the process to not only building a team, but a perennially successful program. 

I know you are trying to put a positive spin on things, but I'm not sure how crapping away a home playoff game represents a positive step towards anything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, old school said:

Something else to think about.  What do you think new recruits or parents of new recruits think when they read some of these posts.  I understand this one stings but trashing coaches and players does nobody any good.  Just my own thoughts

I think the vast majority of posters here are positive and a majority of the posts are as well. Occasionally emotion seeps in as all of us want to see UND football be successful and we get ticked when something like last Saturday happens. Then again, find a fan base that doesn't want that.

44 minutes ago, Irish said:

I know you are trying to put a positive spin on things, but I'm not sure how crapping away a home playoff game represents a positive step towards anything.

If the players and coaches learn and grow from the experience that's a positive. I think the way last year went helped this years team and hopefully the way this season ended helps next years.

2 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

If the players and coaches learn and grow from the experience that's a positive. I think the way last year went helped this years team and hopefully the way this season ended helps next years.

I agree that they can learn from this loss and experience.  However I also think they could have learned a lot by playing on the road in the playoffs against the #2 team this weekend.

24 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree that they can learn from this loss and experience.  However I also think they could have learned a lot by playing on the road in the playoffs against the #2 team this weekend.

Yeah, of course. I would of loved it if that were the case. I was only able to watch the first half of the game before going to work. I was certain that was going to happen when I left the house. It's how you deal with adversity both long and short term that keeps the good programs in all sports on top. Although I was disappointed with the outcome, in order to stay positive I look at how far we've come under Bubba and hope the way this season ended is something we look back on as one of the steps our program took on the way to becoming great.

• Upvote 2

I was at the 2001 D2 Women's Basketball Championship game when UND lost in OT.  While I felt bad for the players and staff, I did not feel cheated then and I do not feel cheated now with the football team. 

I have learned to appreciate the journey and understand how difficult it is to attain a championship.

I have watched a lot of great teams that have not won a championship.  I do not hold them in a lesser regard than teams that have.

If it was easy, everyone would have a trophy.

For those to young, look into the 1997 Women's Basketball Regional championship comeback  and let me know if the opposing team to UND had a lack of coaching or didn't have an understanding how to win.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, planet2county said:

Think about if you would say it to the subject's face. Players, friends, families, media, and staff do read the forum.

Some posters need to get a grip.  There are no guaranteed outcomes.  UND could have fumbled on the next play after the punt.

Richmond missed some plays in the first half that could have changed the game at that moment in time. 

I am sure future recruits can't wait to get blasted on this forum.

Put in your resumes for coaching jobs.  Take up a referees whistle.  Apply for the AD job.

I visited this board for many years and not till this year, joined the SS team because of some of your same concerns. Yes, there were times I was uncomfortable with what was posted here. I always sensed that this board would be better for UND, and all of us as a whole, if we all followed the golden rule a little closer. Now don't get me wrong, I still think this SS board is a great thing. There are boat loads of visitors here. 

When I was on a sports team, our coach schooled us players on how to get along and how to respect others. On this board, the moderators watch that we follow the rules, and the rules allow us to shoot some arrows. Therefore, we have the posts in our threads that we have.  On here there is a lot of ( I'll call it ) self control in the high energy threads, and of course that varies with everyone's expectations.  And the reason I say that, is in the next paragraph.

Go to Bisonville and read their game threads when things aren't going so well, pretty sad with some of their posters. One example of many is the 2nd half of the SDSU FB game. You may wonder how they can recruit???   That makes our SS posts pretty minuscule in the "get a grip" category. Some posters are very arrogant and have a strong infatuation with us.

There's similar boards at many U's. It's the nature of the beast.

Except for the trolls and occasional outside friendly visitor,  we realize we are on UND's team.

• Upvote 1

I finally got to watch this one on ESPN 3.  After the Bison game I was tailgating in Laramie and freezing my ass off before the MWC Championship game so I couldn't see it live.  The collapse at the end of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarters was stunning.  But, some of the fans on here are way overboard ripping on kids and coaches on this.  Yes, the blocked put call was not very smart at that point in the game, but there were a lot of chances to urn things around after that.  Richmond hung on and evidently never lost confidence.  UND is incredibly improved after last year despite the loss. Maybe we can meet in the playoffs next year.  I would think that UND should be contending for the Big Sky title.

By the way....when anyone in either of our fan bases starts yapping about how great outdoor football is and how we need bigger stadiums built for our teams and to make them outdoors.....they are full of !@#$.  Come sit in a December game in Laramie....at night.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2016 at 10:20 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Horrible, horrible loss. 

Up 24-7 in 3rd and the community is finally getting behind UND football like we all want (crowd and noise were amazing yesterday), only then for UND to have a horrible penalty and blocked punt which were both huge momentum killers. Many mistakes throughout game, with the final one being the deep pass allowed by UND on 3rd and long.  I hate this loss for so many reasons. It really will hurt for a while. Oh well. 

We really have nobody to blame but ourselves. Go back to the South Dakota game, and then the NAU game .... We put all sorts of tape out there for Richmond to watch on "How to make a comeback". Clearly, this is why we lost :)

Still hurts, but now my attention shifts from football and hockey to hockey and basketball. The FCS playoffs will be over soon enough and we can forget about this (....until the NCAA sends the NDSU banner to GF by mistake :( .... just kidding .... I hope). But seriously, onto next season. This year was a big step forward, and while it would have been nice to take another step by winning in the playoffs, the team and staff just needs to keep doing what they are doing. Keep on building.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The FCS playoffs will be over soon enough and we can forget about this 

I don't think I'll be able to forget about this until next August.   Actually I'll still be thinking about it during the season next year....and will be thinking about it until we get some wins in the playoffs next year.  We have to sit around another 12 months while other fan bases say we've never won a game that really matters.  It's going to be an extremely long 12 months.  

Really? A 9 game winning streak, 11 players all conference, coach of the year, new attendance record, most key players returning and a great recruiting class (so others not affiliated with UND have said)...I don't give a rip what other fan bases say. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Really? A 9 game winning streak, 11 players all conference, coach of the year, new attendance record, most key players returning and a great recruiting class (so others not affiliated with UND have said)...I don't give a rip what other fan bases say. 

This.  Everything here is more than I had expected.  Combine this with the potential they have next year and I'm very happy.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I do agree with you, a lot to be proud of this year for sure and VERY high expectations for next year.   Just saying.......you know there will be others who will still come on here and talk smack, say we were over rated this year because of weak schedule....blah blah blah.  

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No. Parts of three schemas is why --> green helmet, grey jersey, white pants. 

The jersey should've been green or the pants grey. 

I actually think our combination that we wore on Saturday looked good, I had no problems with it.   I believe somebody on the Richmond site commented they liked them also. 

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I don't think I'll be able to forget about this until next August.   Actually I'll still be thinking about it during the season next year....and will be thinking about it until we get some wins in the playoffs next year.  We have to sit around another 12 months while other fan bases say we've never won a game that really matters.  It's going to be an extremely long 12 months.  

Agree -

After giving it some time, the sting will be long lasting because of the 7 seed, 3 weeks off, big lead, and the plethora of mistakes.  In my view the 2016 season will always be a disappointment.  (I have really high expectations)  If we would have beaten Richmond and battled EWU to the end and lost that'd be far more palatable.

That said, it's better for our program to show we can play with and beat down a team like Richmond (in spite of the loss) instead of strait out getting our tit's lit.(which of course didn't happen)

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Just saying.......you know there will be others who will still come on here and talk smack, say we were over rated this year because of weak schedule....blah blah blah.  

So in other words a typical day on a fan board.

Nothing is given, and next year isn't guaranteed.

Enjoy the journey.

On 12/3/2016 at 9:29 PM, omahasioux1 said:

Not a football person,but our secondary sucks ass so bad.

I realize I'm jumping in on this a little late, but I'd disagree. It seemed like quite often the safeties were close to the line of scrimmage and the corners were matched up in man-to-man against some pretty big and athletic receivers. The long TD was  a clear mistake in coverage - and there was no safety help at all on that play. The long completion at the end of the game - Hunt was right where he needed to be and made a good play on the ball. A taller receiver went up and snagged the ball over the top of Hunt. It was a great play by the WR and a great throw by the QB.

The CBs were trusted to do a lot on their own - and overall did a pretty good job. The missed FG, the blocked punt, the running into the kicker - those all stand out to me as the plays that made the difference in the game.

1 hour ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I realize I'm jumping in on this a little late, but I'd disagree. It seemed like quite often the safeties were close to the line of scrimmage and the corners were matched up in man-to-man against some pretty big and athletic receivers. The long TD was  a clear mistake in coverage - and there was no safety help at all on that play. The long completion at the end of the game - Hunt was right where he needed to be and made a good play on the ball. A taller receiver went up and snagged the ball over the top of Hunt. It was a great play by the WR and a great throw by the QB.

The CBs were trusted to do a lot on their own - and overall did a pretty good job. The missed FG, the blocked punt, the running into the kicker - those all stand out to me as the plays that made the difference in the game.

Correct, our corners do not suck.  Richmond max protected and had a receiver that pretty much no one in FCS could cover on a wide open field.  If we were 2 or 3 deep those big plays don't happen but that gets into a whole different discussion about who we are as a defense.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CMSioux said:

It's okay to raise expectations a bit.

UND should be annually competing for an FCS national championship and an NCAA MBB tournament appearance.

I want a winner's mentality in the sports that the nation collectively cares about. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1