SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: North Dakota v. Richmond

bincitysioux

It's almost like Kostich felt like he had to get a blocked punt because they came close to blocking one on the first punt. Situation be damned, he was going to get a block. But should Bubba get a pass? Doesn't the head coach decide whether to bring pressure there, or is that exclusively the decision of the special teams coordinator? 

The reverse made no sense. UND is leading comfortably, moving the ball, and eating clock, and you call a trick play reverse running out your only viable QB to block, lose 10 yards, kill the drive, and give Richmond momentum?  It was bizarre.  I know it was just one play, but the stupidity of it set the table for what was to come.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

Goes down with 2009 hockey loss to UNH and 0.6 as most brutal losses as fan.  and like the UNH loss seemed like it came from playing not to lose.  Painful lesson to take into next season.  wouldnt mind learning from a win once in a while.

There was a terrible MBB playoff choke in the 4th quarter, like gave up 20+ point lead. Listened to this thing on the radio, like a game in Washington or ?. The opponents never lead till last shot of game. Everything went wrong at one point till the finish line, like here today.  This one started with bad call on the should of been first down, then running into the kicker, then the ? Bla bla bla. I try find that MBB game.  

i watched the whole f'n game on my phone fromy seat in MSG. It essentially ruined the win in the hockey game for me.

Im not as down on the running into the kicker penalty as I should be because I figured it was karma making up for the screw job the play before to Richmond on the spot. Richmond had the first down but it was super frustrating watching how after the penalty, Richmond marched down and scored 

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

There was a terrible MBB playoff choke in the 4th quarter, like gave up 20+ point lead. Listened to this thing on the radio, like a game in Washington or ?. The opponents never lead till last shot of game. Everything went wrong at one point till the finish line, like here today.  This one started with bad call on the should of been first down, then running into the kicker, then the ? Bla bla bla. I try find that MBB game.  

Virginia Union, March of '91.  And that's a pretty accurate analogy 

Well !@#$.  We were curb stomping them and !@#$ our pants. The WRs had major drop issues. That cost us the game. The running into the kicker changed everything. That cost us the game. Hunt getting burnt over and over and over. That cost us the game. Crowd going flat like the team when the momentum had shifted. That cost us the game. Most of all just not getting the job done in general cost us the game. I'm extremely proud of this team and the history they made but God damn it they are better than what they sowed in that second half. It had nothing to do with coaching. Guys were in position and failed to make plays they were capable of. This was a massive choke job. 

In the end, it's still blatantly obvious that not having a single speed wr hurts the offense. They don't need to worry about the deep ball and can come down to stuff the run and defend the intermediate pass. We just aren't a complete team yet. The depth is almost there and things are absolutely headed in the right direction. We lost our mojo with all the time off.... now we have 9 months to get it back. If the coached can add a couple of things to this team in the secondary, at QB, and at WR then next year will be a fun one. 

The silver lining in all of this was @GreenWing and I heckled Richmond's coach Rocco so bad before the game that he ran right over to us after the win to talk some !@#$. We got under his skin about the Delaware job and he didn't forget us. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, mksioux said:

The reverse made no sense. UND is leading comfortably, moving the ball, and eating clock, and you call a trick play reverse running out your only viable QB to block, lose 10 yards, kill the drive, and give Richmond momentum?  It was bizarre.  I know it was just one play, but the stupidity of it set the table for what was to come.

Great point, and one I had almost completely forgotten. I, too, was scratching my head over the reverse, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the asinine decision to bring pressure on the punt.

19 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Elite eight vs Virginia Union on team with Scott Guldseth.  Possibly beat UND team ever and was capable of winning national title.

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Two positives for me:

1. There was no next home game on the line, so for all that UND ended up farting away, it didn't lose that.

2. Attendance...Grand Forks showed up in a big way, and there was undeniably a great vibe in there.

Yep, lots of new fans too. (I heard a "Studsberg" reference in the row behind me.) But with the way the game went down, I'm not sure if the attendance and new fans was a good thing. I dont really mean that I suppose, but man it's frustrating. You build all year for this game, you get a great crowd, new fans engaged, and that's the product you leave them with.  It seems like the good programs break through there. Heck, Go out and lose a respectable game in Cheney next week and call it a successful season. This doesn't sit right at all.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, HawkinNutts said:

Team and coaches capped the bed in the 2nd half.  

1.Started with idiotic running into the kicker.  not the greatest call here, but kids need to understand the situation of the game (and coaches need to coach them to understand it)

2. After shoving the ball with olivera, (not Santiago ) down their throats, we go for an effing reverse!! and lose 10. made zero cents at that point in the game.  horrible play call. and sometimes you need to feed the hot hand.  Santiago was a non-factor tonight. couldn't stop Brady 

3. Stanley looked like !@#$. But didn't help that Keaton couldn't hit the broad side of the barn.  too many wide open misses or drops

4. were all their big passes on #16? 

5. at the end,  shouldve let them score. at least we would've gotten the ball back.  

Great season but pathetic way to end.  Rudolph and the 12 year old kid who is the ST coordinator should be on notice. 

Agree with all of this besides Keaton, I actually think he played pretty well, besides Mercer and Fiedler nobody else could catch the ball. Toivonen, Stanley and Wanzek are as sure handed as FCS receivers get and they couldn't catch anything tonight. They all dropped easy receptions over and over. 

The problems UND has had the entire year ended up all coming to bite them at the end. Bubba needs to make changes with the Special teams unit. Them bringing pressure in that situation is unthinkable with anyone that has two brain cells to rub together. The blocked punt was a mess, multiple Richmond players could have blocked that one. 

On offense you are running the ball down their throats, but decide to do a reverse which made no sense and that ended up losing 7 yards, costing the team at least 3 points. 

The secondary also needs to get better, too many big plays. I hate calling for coaches jobs, but Rudolph and the Special Teams coordinator need to go. 

• Upvote 3

Damn...

Was really hoping for a true Big Sky Championship in Cheney next weekend.

Since y'all dodged that, do you mind shipping your half of the regular season trophy to Cheney? 

EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
Eastern Washington University, 207 Physical Education Building, Cheney, WA 99004

I guess we'll take it from here for the Big Sky conference. 

Go Eags

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

13 minutes ago, Great Day To Be An Eagle said:

Damn...

Since y'all dodged that, do you mind shipping your half of the regular season trophy to Cheney? 

Eastern Washington University, 207 Physical Education Building, Cheney, WA 99004

Go Eags

Go !@#$ yourself.  

And best of luck the rest of the way. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Great Day To Be An Eagle said:

Damn...

Go Eags

Go away, troll. :angry:

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Well !@#$.  We were curb stomping them and !@#$ our pants. The WRs had major drop issues. That cost us the game. The running into the kicker changed everything. That cost us the game. Hunt getting burnt over and over and over. That cost us the game. Crowd going flat like the team when the momentum had shifted. That cost us the game. Most of all just not getting the job done in general cost us the game. I'm extremely proud of this team and the history they made but God damn it they are better than what they sowed in that second half. It had nothing to do with coaching. Guys were in position and failed to make plays they were capable of. This was a massive choke job. 

In the end, it's still blatantly obvious that not having a single speed wr hurts the offense. They don't need to worry about the deep ball and can come down to stuff the run and defend the intermediate pass. We just aren't a complete team yet. The depth is almost there and things are absolutely headed in the right direction. We lost our mojo with all the time off.... now we have 9 months to get it back. If the coached can add a couple of things to this team in the secondary, at QB, and at WR then next year will be a fun one. 

The silver lining in all of this was @GreenWing and I heckled Richmond's coach Rocco so bad before the game that he ran right over to us after the win to talk some !@#$. We got under his skin about the Delaware job and he didn't forget us. 

It was not the crowd's fault!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, mksioux said:

Yep, lots of new fans too. (I heard a "Studsberg" reference in the row behind me.) But with the way the game went down, I'm not sure if the attendance and new fans was a good thing. I dont really mean that I suppose, but man it's frustrating. You build all year for this game, you get a great crowd, new fans engaged, and that's the product you leave them with.  It seems like the good programs break through there. Heck, Go out and lose a respectable game in Cheney next week and call it a successful season. This doesn't sit right at all.

If people are going to give up on the program over one disappointing loss, then they probably weren't going to stick with the team anyway. This program is going in the right direction; we just need to build more depth and get our younger guys more experience. They will learn from this painful experience and they won't let it happen again.

• Upvote 1