SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

Some info on 2005 HS seniors that the Sioux have apparently offered.  Sioux recruits

The link to the Howard Pulley site is kind of strange, but just click on news on the left side of the page, and the 1st story that appears has a lot of info. 

Tonight, just noticed that UND will be playing an exhibition on Nov 5th against the Howard Pulley AAU team. Not a bad way to get those guys an unofficial campus visit and see the new Betty!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UND should not want Grant Gunhus. As a close follower of F-M area basketball for many years, Gunhus has the talent but is a cancer to his team. I would not place all the blame on him. Poor coaching has increased what I percieve to be a poor attitude. He is talented and last year especially had an extreamly talented crew around him but would refuse to let them play, especially in big games. He is a good kid, but when he gets to college he will have a tough time not being the number one guy for a few years. It is for that reason that I think that he would actually be better off going somewhere DI so it is obvious that he would have to be a role player (ie Tyler Koenig--who should come back to UND) or go DIII and be the man for at least 3 years (his dad is an eye doctor, it's not like he needs that scholorship). I hope it works out for him. This year his team should walk through their Section, but we'll see if Grant will let his crew assist him to the next level.

Austin Pennick however is a player that UND should want. Awesome athletic ability and the attitude and work ethic to get much better. I do think that if Coach Lennon would take a look at Austin's natural ability on the football field he could be molded into a pretty good WR. He runs sloppy routes but there isn't a better WR in ND football right now. 6'3 great speed and awesome leaping ability, he could play for the Sioux.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know what the inside story was with the Pennick recruitment? According to the Forum article, NDSU had shown only passing interest in him prior to this summer, whereas I know UND had been recruiting him for awhile. Was it just a desire to play dI, or was there some other reason?

I can't say much about the difference between men and women at the DI or DII level but I can compare it to a situation that occurs at the DIII level.

The biggest obstacle that the DIII schools such as Concordia face is that they don't give out athletic scholorships. They promote campus and education with athletics second. As a former DIII male athlete we found that it is much easier to recruit females to a DIII school because they are less interest in the word scholorship. When our recruits would be faced with a decision between a low DII school or a NAIA school that offered money, 9 of 10 times men would choose the scholorship. I know tuition plays a factor in this but even guys that were major academic scholorship winners would still choose the athletic scholorship over the opposite. If this is comparable it may mean that to many female athletes the DI/DII discussion is mute.

There's a column in the Forum today about Pennick going to NDSU. It appears the chance to play DI despite the postseason limitations was a factor. I think Park Christian went a little overboard with the press conference to announce the decision. It was compared to Marbury's conference. Granted he says it was scaled down, but Marbury was going to a major DI school while Pennick is not. I guess Park must be really excited about having their first big recruit considering the high school is so new.

Pennick staying at home

• 3 weeks later...

Something about the Nelson kid from Madison that no one realizes is that he really won the Mr. Basketball by default. Wisconsin's best player is Greg Steitsma, a 6-11 kid from Rudolph who was one of the top 20 in the country until he got hurt and missed 2/3 of the year. One of my Dad's former colleagues and good buddies is one of the editors of the Madison Cap Times. He compared Nelson winning the Mr. Basketball to Jeff Boschee getting hurt his SR year and someone else winning it. He also said that Nelson was at best the 3rd best player on his team. Again, he is obviously a good player, but to get him out of that state, which has become a literal basketball hotbed the past 5 years, the award makes him seem like a player that he really isn't. Because of winning Mr Basketball there, Bison fans, I would guess, would expect something more then he will bring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to set the record straigth about Nelson and him winning Mr. Basketball. While it may be true that Steimsma would have won the award if he would have not gotten an injury, Nelson was leading scorer on a 25-1 team that was a quarter short of winning the class A (Large School)championship. Nelson was not only the leading scorer for his team for the last two years but most observers would credit him with being the glue and the energy that held the team together. He was either 1, 2 or 3 in every category on the team and did what ever was needed for his team to win. Nelson was the kind of player that may not have been the best in the state in any one particular basketball skill but certainly was one of the best all around players in the state and was not a surprise pick for those that have watched his career. Coaches loved what he brings to the table and the Mr. Basketball award is a Coaches award.

By the way, you guys at ND got a dandy in Dan Harkins. I have watched him play since his youth basketball days and have always been very impressed with him. Very tough minded skilled basketball player. He did get screwed with his ranking his senior year. His team not getting to state hurt his individual rankings when it shouldn't have.

• 2 weeks later...
Were  Blackwell and Wills offered full scholarships?

Who else are the Sioux waiting to hear back from?

Are you still interested in Kori Vernon or Abu-Shamala?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am quite sure Wills and Blackwell both got full rides. Yes, they have an offer out to Vernon but they are afraid that he will want to play closer to home. They would also like to land Jeff Probst out of Moose Lake!

Is Wills viewed as more of a 4 or a 3? He might be a little small for the 4 at 6'6" unless he's pretty strong. He does sound like a high-quality prospect, though.

Would it be safe to assume that Ryp's replacement will have to be a juco? It would seem that the odds of signing a high school big man good enough to contribute immediately are remote.

Is Wills viewed as more of a 4 or a 3? He might be a little small for the 4 at 6'6" unless he's pretty strong. He does sound like a high-quality prospect, though.

Would it be safe to assume that Ryp's replacement will have to be a juco? It would seem that the odds of signing a high school big man good enough to contribute immediately are remote.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, at this point, they do not feel they have a chance at landing a HS big man.

• 2 months later...

There is a story about Grant Gunhus listing UND as one of his two college choices in the Forum today.

Park Christian senior guard Grant Gunhus has cut his college choices to Colorado School of Mines or UND. For now, anyway. "We'll see where it goes," said Gunhus, a 4.0 student who has received scholarship offers from both NCAA Division II schools. His father, Don Gunhus, scored 1,096 points for the Sioux between 1971-75 and will be honored as part of the school's all-century men's basketball team on Saturday. Grant Gunhus passed former UConn guard Khalid El-Amin and one-time Fargo Shanley star Nick Jacobson on Minnesota's all-time boys basketball career scoring list Tuesday. Gunhus has 2,330 points. Entering the 2004-05 season, only 11 players had more.