SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

I agree with you that the price of the school makes walk ons a rarity. In basketballs case, remember that Billitter more than likely could recruit anyone at NDSU and get them in school, so he is adjusting to where he is at. I shouldn't say anyone at NDSU, they wouldn't have wanted him to bring in a really good basket weaver, as it would have thrown the curve off and depleted their football team.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

92,96 - I really don't think we are disagreeing in our thoughts. I would agree for Augie to be a contender soon, it would make sense to bring in some transfers. I do know that it is somewhat difficult to recruit transfers into a Lutheran college - both qualifying for the school and creating interest from the recruit to go to Augie.

Again, my only point was that it appeared that Augie signed 3-4 very good HS prospects! But, who knows until they hit the floor!

Hello,

Big UNO fan, Just wanted to give you an update on UNO basketball recruiting. UNO signed a D-1 transfer from Drake. His name is Quantel Murphy. He actually started ten games for Drake. He is very athletic and seems like a great kid. We also signed Grant Nieland out of Burke high school. Rich Glas actually payed him a home visit. The ironic thing about it is that Nieland lives across the street from UNO's coach Kevin Mckenna and Mckenna saw a car with North Dakota plates and knew something was up. We are looking for a guard to replace Ty Graham to finish up recruiting. More update later

Maverick

I noticed that one of Mike Gutter's high school teammates had a very nice freshman year at Williston State. Point guard Jahi Craig averaged 16 pts. and 7 assists per game while earning all-conference first team honors. He's on the small side at 5'9", but is supposed to be very quick and was a 4-year starter at Milwaukee King, which has been the top high school program in Wisconsin recently. He might be a name to watch for after next season if he continues to progress.

Brett Brielmaier has commited to Arizona as a walk-on.Brielmeier a Wildcat

There wasn't much talk about him after the new year, so I would guess he got "too-big" for UND. Can't blame anyone for taking this opportunity. There are a lot of rumors going around that old Lute is nearing the end of the road as a head coach. It will be interesting to monitor Brielmeier's progress.

The talented JUCO kid out of Ohio (Dujuan Tate) is considering going to a DI school, sitting out a year to get his grades in line and then playing one year of ball. Giving up one of his two remaining years of eligibility certainly doesn't make much sense but a couple pretty successful programs are urging him to do just that. That must prove that he has lots of talent. Supposedly, if he goes DII, he will go to UND. No idea when he will make a decision.

They are also looking at another JUCO kid (6'8" - could play the 3 or 4) out of Chicago. They may know about him relatively soon.

We lost another kid out of IL to UMD - we had hoped he would come for little scholarship $. We couldn't afford to offer more than we did.

There are a couple of other interesting scaenarios that may play out but it is too early to know.

It does appear that Koenig will stay at UWGB.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We haven't talked about Men's BB in a while. An update:

The not-so-good (maybe):

Aaron Austin won't be back next year. He has continued to experience some serious personal problems. Even if he magically had them behind him, he would not be eligible.

Mike Gutter will not be back. He didn't accept the challenge of going to college and is back in Milwaukee. Probably not going to go back to college at all - what a waste of talent!

The real talented JC kid from Ohio that we had hoped to get, didn't make the grades and will enroll at a NAIA school in WV.

The good:

The injuries to Parks, Nobles and Doyle all are healing quite well. Nobles has been able to go full tilt for some time and the other two have recently been cleared to play.

There will an announcement shortly regarding the signing of two guards, one a HSer out of southern MN and a talented JUCO player from IL who played in Nebraska last year. The JUCO player appears to be quite good - averaged 20 or so last year.

All three of the high school recruits: Harkins, Seckar-Anderson and the kid to be announced will all redshirt next year.

With Gutter gone, we have the $ to bring in another kid and there are a couple pretty good ones out there. If we got another bigger kid who would contribute, they may redshirt Stoute and give him another year to develop. They wish that he had more than one year left - he has a great deal of untapped talent.

For those of you who have exchanged e-mail with me regarding the program in the past, feel free to send me a note. There may be a couple of other items of interest to Sioux BB fans.

St Cloud adds 4 transfers

Some interesting moves by the Huskies. I am not sure if they are sound moves or if it signifies that their cupboard was simply empty with Carlson finally being gone. The 7-footer would have to be deemed a projest at best, but the kid from Vermont sounds like a player, and the kid that transferred from Crookston can shoot it. These moves certainly change the outlook of their season though.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Naples Daily News, an article on the The Disney Tip-Off Classic

(Florida Gulf Coast U)  opens the tournament against the University of North Dakota at 8:30 p.m. on Nov. 12.  North Dakota returns four starters from a team that went 14-14 last year and lost six games by a total of 14 points.  "They're a perennial power," Balza said. "They host the Division II national championship next year. They've got four starters and 10 of their top 11 back.  They've got really good talent, they're very big and very well coached."

• 3 weeks later...
We haven't talked about Men's BB in a while.  An update:

The not-so-good (maybe):

Aaron Austin won't be back next year.  He has continued to experience some serious personal problems.  Even if he magically had them behind him, he would not be eligible.

It looks like Austin is going to give basketball one last try this season, at St. Scholastica link. This will be his fourth different school in five years.

• 2 weeks later...

Not smack here, I'm really curious. I haven't seen any updates on the UND athletic site about new recruits this year. Have you guys signed anybody yet? I read the above post and I was curious as to who the JUCO guard is.

Some info on 2005 HS seniors that the Sioux have apparently offered. Sioux recruits

The link to the Howard Pulley site is kind of strange, but just click on news on the left side of the page, and the 1st story that appears has a lot of info.

It lists the Sioux as having offered John Kreklow, Jeff Probst, and Andy Wills, as well as great interest in Josh Vaughn (who may be a bonafide DI player now though). Kreklow is one who can shoot the lights out, and was invited to the Nike All-American Camp. One of the biggest things about these guys is that one of their coaches with Howard Pulley is/was Broderick Powell, the former UND shooting guard. This relationship has helped many a school out in the past (AAU coach and alma mater), and is one that I have been anticipating the Sioux taking advantage of for a few years now. Hopefully the results are good, should be a lot of money available after this coming year with many SRs on the team.

Men's BB Update:

Everyone is back in GF. Doyle and Nobles are healthy, Parks still has a ways to go. Lindahl gained more weight and strength over the summer - sounds like he also has more confidence. He could be very good this year.

It is unlikely that anyone else will be added to the roster prior to school starting. There are a couple of possibilities, both transfers - a big kid from Texas and a wing from out west. Neither are likely to happen.

It appears that no one of consequence will walk-on.

I am not sure if everyone knows the two kids we added over the summer. Shawn Swan is a very talented wing out of Nebraska. He played at a NE JC last year. A former 100 and 200 state champion, he is a great athlete and should help us right away.

You all likely know that Gutter will not be back. He is working at a Walmart in Milwaukee, not likely to go back to college anywhere. He was given a great opportunity and didn't take advantage of it - too bad for him!!

We also signed guard Corey Lott out of Rochester John Marshall. They are happy with their three freshmen recruits. All will be redshirted. The kid from WS, Seckar-Anderson, has gained 20 pounds this summer. They are very pleased with him.

We have offered a bunch of HS kids scholarships for next year. Some very talented players are considering us but geography and the lure of DI will continue to be a detriment. One recruit decided to attend another NCC school last week. His decision was not unexpected.

The Betty is impressing recruits. We will see if it will help us land some kids we couldn't get in the past.

Corella / UND Fan:

Two great posts! Is Shawn Swan also going to run track? With him and Dressler, that would be a great start to a dynamite 4 x 100 relay team.

To your knowledge, are there any ND or NW Minn players being pursued? Specifically, was wondering about Grant Gunhus, the son of UND's Don Gunhus, who plays for Moorhead's Park Christian, or is he Div I caliber?

The Betty is impressing recruits. We will see if it will help us land some kids we couldn't get in the past.

Does the Gus Macker 3-on-3 attract many potential recruits as a "free" visit? It would be great if the Betty would sposor a summer invitational tournament for AAU teams.

Corella / UND Fan:

Two great posts! Is Shawn Swan also going to run track? With him and Dressler, that would be a great start to a dynamite 4 x 100 relay team.

To your knowledge, are there any ND or NW Minn players being pursued? Specifically, was wondering about Grant Gunhus, the son of UND's Don Gunhus, who plays for Moorhead's Park Christian, or is he Div I caliber?

Does the Gus Macker 3-on-3 attract many potential recruits as a "free" visit? It would be great if the Betty would sposor a summer invitational tournament for AAU teams.

I do not know if Swan will be doing track also, but I have wondered the same thing for a few months now. No doubt with his credentials he could help the track program out.

Regarding Gunhus, I am not sure if he is being recruited or not. He is a good scorer and has a real solid frame at 6-3 and about 210 lbs. His HS and AAU teammate, Austin Pennick, is a player that is being persued though. He is a 6-3 PG who is a real good athlete, could also probably swing to the 2. They both actually live in Fargo but go to Park Christian in Moorhead. There are a few other players on their AAU team, the Minnesota Glory that the Sioux are pursuing as well. This years recruiting will be very interesting to monitor for a few reasons, 1) What effect will the SU's move up have on "us", 2) Will the Betty help that end as much as advertised, and 3) Minnesota is as deep in "NCC caliber talent" this year as it has been in any year that I can remember. The state does not have an abundance of players that will go to BCS conference schools, but does have a ton of players that are legit DI mid-major players and D2 (NCC) difference makers. What does that mean, there is not much of a difference between the top 5-10 players at certain positions within the state, so getting a guy who is perceived to be a bit furtehr dwon the supposed list is not too far of a drop off. I look for one of the best classes in quite a few years to be signed this coming year.

Grant Gunhas and his dad were in GF for a visit last week. UND would like to have Grant but isn't offering a scholarship - at this point, at least. This is primarily because they already have an abundance of players at that position. For those of you who remember how Don played for the Sioux, if Grant has the same work ethic, he will contribute somewhere at the DII level! Don didn't have tremendous talent, but he played smart and went at it 100% at all times.

UND really wants to land Pennick. I guess he didn't play quite as well at the end of summer so the DI schools have backed off a bit.

I agree with Corella, the talent is very deep in MN this year. Nothing in ND other than Pennick and Gunhus and they play for a Moorhead HS.

I always hear people taking about DI and DII levels. What people need to talk about is that UND is at the very top of DII athletics which is above the bottom of DI(AA) athletics, in my oppinion. I know there has been so much debate about UND going DI(DI-AA) in all sports, but it is a fact. Anyone you recrute can go anywhere, but our status as a top DII school helps us bring in people who would not normally come in.