SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

A few items of interest regarding UND men's recruiting:

Winkleman is to make his decision after the state tourney this weekend. He has said that UND is one of his final two options - not sure if the other one is St. Cloud or NDSU.

Everyone seems to be healing quite well from their injuries/surgeries. Of course, we really won't know until this fall whether they have fully recovered and will contribute to the degreee hoped for.

UND has their eyes on a scoring JC forward. He will visit this weekend. Decent chance on landing him.

We have a chance of convincing a couple of talented forwards to walk-on. We may know soon. One or both may be offered some $ if Winkleman goes elsewhere.

Prior to Spring Break, it was 50-50 whether Koenig would transfer. Of course, no one can talk to him until he would get his release from Green Bay. Supposedly, UND is at the top of his list if he transfers.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. Regarding Koenig, it's interesting that this article from the Green Bay paper from about a week ago certainly gives the impression that they fully expect him back. It would obviously be great to get him. If the staff could somehow land Koenig, Winkelman and a high-scoring juco wing, along with Harkins, this could be an outstanding group of newcomers next year.

Good info UND Fan. If the JC scorer that is visiting this weekend is the same one I was told about, a SF, the staff is extremely high on him. He was amongst the nation's leading scorers, in the top 8 the last time I checked, while playing in the top JUCO conference in the country. That in itself tells me he is an extremely talented player. Winkelman is in the state tourney and opens up on Wed I believe, and channel 9 in GF will hopefully pick up the state tourney like it has for the MN girls and hockey. Winkelman has been lighting up the scoreborad, and in huge fashion as of late, and has been doing it in all different ways, 3s, alley-oop dunks, jumpers, everything. He would seem to be the real deal capable of everything on the offensive end. I would call it a good recruiting class to get one of the 2 talked about along with Harkins.

I haven't heard anything on Brielmaier in a while, and noticed in today's Strib that Lute Olson has given him the option of walking on at Arizona. If that is out there, not sure if UND is even in the picture anymore given that he must have at least a few other mid level D1 offers if Lute will take him on.

I haven't heard anything on Brielmaier in a while, and noticed in today's Strib that Lute Olson has given him the option of walking on at Arizona. If that is out there, not sure if UND is even in the picture anymore given that he must have at least a few other mid level D1 offers if Lute will take him on.

who's brielmaier?

It's amazing how facilities and money can make such an impact.

I just don't see how UND can be on so many good players or why these players want to play for UND. They haven't won alot in many years. Yes, I believe that UND is a good program but your so lucky (and I don't mean that in a bad way at all) to have the facili

Yes, we will have great facilities and can fund the full 10 rides without problem. However, please be assured that we do not have an unlimited budget for recruiting. In fact, UND's men's BB recruiting efforts may be the most costly of any DII teams. It is difficult and costly to get to Grand Forks, there aren't many ND or NW MN kids who can play DII and the remoteness and long, cold winters make it very difficult to recruit. That means that we have to bring in a lot of kids for visits to get the number of kids we need.

The new facilities will help a great deal but it is still a long ways from most anywhere. Kids, who play DII, often want it to be close enough to home for their parents or GF to be able to go to games. There are not that many DII kids who live within 300 miles of GF - and, of course, we don't get all that do live within that radius.

I know that opinions are mixed with regard to whether UND should be concentrating its basketball recruiting more on high school as opposed to junior college players, but I think it's significant that Kennesaw St., the team which won the dII title yesterday, has a roster made up of 10 transfers from either a juco or another 4-year program, with just four high school recruits. Of those four high school recruits, I believe most if not all were deep reserves. I believe last year's champion, Northeastern St. of Oklahama, had a very similar make-up to that of Kennesaw. Kentucky Wesleyan has been doing this for years. It seems clear that regardless of whether people necessarily agree with it or not, juco/transfer recruiting is the way you need to go to win titles in men's dII basketball.

Since the high school talent pool around here simply isn't very good, I don't think there's much question that if we as fans want to see a team which has much of a shot at reaching the Elite 8, and perhaps even winning it, junior college recruiting will need to continue, and perhaps even increase. The odds of ever accumulating a group of high school recruits talented enough to compete with the better mostly-transfer teams is not good, needless to say. Particularly considering our geographic disadvantage.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to dII basketball if the NCAA enacted similar juco player eligibility requirements for dII as exist for dI. Does anyone know whether there is much of a chance that this will eventually happen?

I don't think you can judge Kennesaw states success soley on the JUCO's, although I'm sure thats a big part of it. At the beginining of the season SDSU beat Kennesaw by 15 pts., and then didn't even make it to the elite eight. I think a big part of Kennesaw states wins might be a very talented coach that had the right players to work with.

I don't think you can judge Kennesaw states success soley on the JUCO's, although I'm sure thats a big part of it.  At the beginining of the season SDSU beat Kennesaw by 15 pts., and then didn't even make it to the elite eight.  I think a big part of Kennesaw states wins might be a very talented coach that had the right players to work with.

I'm not necessarily surprised that a fairly experienced team like SDSU would beat a team with many newcomers like Kennesaw in an early season game. It takes awhile for a group of new players to learn to play together, and having a quality coach certainly helps in that regard. But no matter how good a coach might be, you need to have the kind of talent to win a title that is extremely difficult to recruit from the high school ranks by a dII program. Aside from getting transfers, whether juco, division I or otherwise, or perhaps foreign players who are either ineligible for dI or overlooked by dI schools, I see no way to accumulate that kind of talent.

No "official" word on Winkelman yet, but according to some in the know it seems like all but a done deal to St. Cloud. You cannot fault the kid for that choice, St Cloud is always in the mix and closer to home for him. The JUCO kid in this weekend would be an instant impact guy, would provide great versatility on the perimeter in being able to play all 3 spots. A pretty exciting player, has won slam dunk contests at tournaments, obviously able to get up pretty high, a difference maker. Hopefully he comes aboard, versatility is an extremely valuable thing, not to mention being a real player.

No "official" word on Winkelman yet, but according to some in the know it seems like all but a done deal to St. Cloud.  You cannot fault the kid for that choice, St Cloud is always in the mix and closer to home for him. 

Still no official word on Winkelman as far as I could find. Might he be having second thoughts? Holding out for a last-minute dI offer? If he has decided on St. Cloud St., you wouldn't think there would be much reason to delay his announcement any longer. On another board, somebody asked about SCSU recruiting, and the guy who normally seems to know what's going on didn't mention Winkelman's name--not that that necessarily means anything.

Did anyone see the recruit who was in visiting on Tuesday? According to Swygman from his radio show, he was impressive. He is from Columbus, Ohio I believe. He can flat out play I guess. Must be a JUCO. He may be someone who does not fully qualify academically or whatever for DI.

Anybody got details?

Corella....just heard Winkelman is going to NDSU...ouch......SIOUXATC....heard the guy yesterday juco from ohio was unreal, had two dunks....very athletic...had one dunk aka tracy mcgrady where he throws it off the backboard and stuffs it thru......outside jump shot is questionable though from what i heard...but he sounded impressive...6'5" 2 or a 3 player i am guessing....

Did anyone see the recruit who was in visiting on Tuesday? According to Swygman from his radio show, he was impressive. He is from Columbus, Ohio I believe. He can flat out play I guess. Must be a JUCO. He may be someone who does not fully qualify academically or whatever for DI.

Anybody got details?

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings Tues night from 7:30-9 and the recruit was there with Rich, RH, and Riley. Although he was wearing a jumpsuit (or something baggy like that), his body looked pretty wirey (sp??). He seemed to be having a pretty good time, lots of laughing and smiling. He is 6-4 or 6-5 and I have found some articles on the net of him winning some slam dunk contests. His team was rated #1 for a good portion of this past year, and according to those recruiting him he can play anywhere on the perimeter. He has put up good rebounding numbers for a guy his size and position the past 2 years. The Sioux seem to have a good shot at him. If he comes aboard for next year, I would guess that Harkins would redshirt no questions asked, and would set up an extremely solid corps of players at the 2 and 3.

Corella....just heard Winkelman is going to NDSU...ouch......SIOUXATC....heard the guy yesterday juco from ohio was unreal, had two dunks....very athletic...had one dunk aka tracy mcgrady where he throws it off the backboard and stuffs it thru......outside jump shot is questionable though from what i heard...but he sounded impressive...6'5" 2 or a 3 player i am guessing....

Winkelman to NDSU? Huh. Last Fri the guy recruiting him told me it was going to be St Cloud. Interesting.

Bison put together an extremely solid class with Winkelman aboard. Not to take anything away from it, but I thought that they needed to take a juco kid with the last scholly. Next year should be very long for them, even with only a few D1 teams, they'll be small, real slow and unathletic inside, and without any experience on the perimeter.

I give NDSU credit for a nice group of high school recruits. I would have liked to have seen a couple of them sign with UND. However, with that being said, I believe that for the most part, these were all players who didn't receive offers from any NCAA tournament-eligible dI programs. In other words, NDSU was recruiting against dII's for these guys as opposed to Missouri Valley or other mid-major conference schools. For example, if the Nelson kid from Wisco were a true dI caliber player, wouldn't you think he'd have been offered by UW-Green Bay or UW-Milwaukee? I would think so.

Also, it looks like juco recruiting may be a thing of the past. And I don't believe it's by choice. With the far more stringent eligibility requirements for juco players at the dI level, the odds of a fledgling dI program signing a juco player capable of making much of an impact are next to none. The vast majority of the 300-something dI programs recruit the juco ranks, and are eligible to play in the NCAA tournament which is what 99% of kids are looking for if they have a choice. Once they get the players they want, and subtracting out all of the players who aren't eligible to play dI, the pickings are likely pretty slim.

I give NDSU credit for a nice group of high school recruits. I would have liked to have seen a couple of them sign with UND. However, with that being said, I believe that for the most part, these were all players who didn't receive offers from any NCAA tournament-eligible dI programs. In other words, NDSU was recruiting against dII's for these guys as opposed to Missouri Valley or other mid-major conference schools. For example, if the Nelson kid from Wisco were a true dI caliber player, wouldn't you think he'd have been offered by UW-Green Bay or UW-Milwaukee? I would think so.

Also, it looks like juco recruiting may be a thing of the past. And I don't believe it's by choice. With the far more stringent eligibility requirements for juco players at the dI level, the odds of a fledgling dI program signing a juco player capable of making much of an impact are next to none. The vast majority of the 300-something dI programs recruit the juco ranks, and are eligible to play in the NCAA tournament which is what 99% of kids are looking for if they have a choice. Once they get the players they want, and subtracting out all of the players who aren't eligible to play dI, the pickings are likely pretty slim.

Something about the Nelson kid from Madison that no one realizes is that he really won the Mr. Basketball by default. Wisconsin's best player is Greg Steitsma, a 6-11 kid from Rudolph who was one of the top 20 in the country until he got hurt and missed 2/3 of the year. One of my Dad's former colleagues and good buddies is one of the editors of the Madison Cap Times. He compared Nelson winning the Mr. Basketball to Jeff Boschee getting hurt his SR year and someone else winning it. He also said that Nelson was at best the 3rd best player on his team. Again, he is obviously a good player, but to get him out of that state, which has become a literal basketball hotbed the past 5 years, the award makes him seem like a player that he really isn't. Because of winning Mr Basketball there, Bison fans, I would guess, would expect something more then he will bring.