SiouxSports.com Forum

Road Trip to the Big Apple

hky

Two of us going. Staying at an Airbnb not far from Times Square.

We have been to NY twice already so we have seen many of the main attractions like Liberty Island, One World Trade, Times Square, Met Museum, etc.

A few of our planned activities: Rockettes Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Plaza Christmas tree, Brooklyn Bridge, Bryant Park Winter Festival, Highline, Chelsea Market, Whitney or Guggenheim Museum, NY Islanders game (Sunday night), and NY Public Library. We'll likely grab pizza at one of the many pizza places near NYU, and plan to hit up Heartland Brewery for the pregame social.

I highly recommend going to the top of One World Trade. The view is SPECTACULAR, especially at sunset! Also, the view from Top of the Rock (Rockefeller building) is quite nice as well. Liberty Island/Ellis Island is a worthwhile trip. One ticket gets you access to both.

21 minutes ago, keikla said:

I've used Airbnb an abundance of times, and I love it, but it's illegal in NYC.  People are really cracking down on it (neighbors ratting each other out, etc.).  Just a heads up.  I'd highly recommend not mentioning 'airbnb' when you're in the apartment building and just say you're visiting friends.

It's not cut and dry. If it's an apartment. The host/owner is suppose to be there. If it's a house, the host doesn't need to be there.

Oddly the biggest impact is last month NYC made it illegal to advertise on airbnb, but airbnb filed a lawsuit and NYC said they wouldn't prosecute while the suit is pending.

13 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Myself and my Aunt are going. Staying at a Hilton not far from the rink. Looking forward to the 9/11 Museum, Central Park, and maybe hitting up a Broadway show.

Food recommendations definitely welcome!

Lombardi's for coal-oven pizza in Little Italy, oldest pizza place in the country.  Take the 6 train to Spring St, one block from there.  Also, maybe 30-45 min walk from WTC.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, WiSioux said:

We had pizza near NYU (John's on Bleeker) and it was excellent. I think it's usually one on the top of many lists with Lombardi's. We had pretty good luck with pub-style locations. We ate at a diner and was not impressed. There are so many places to eat that it gets a little overwhelming! 

1 hour ago, talksalot83 said:

We had pizza near NYU (John's on Bleeker) and it was excellent. I think it's usually one on the top of many lists with Lombardi's. We had pretty good luck with pub-style locations. We ate at a diner and was not impressed. There are so many places to eat that it gets a little overwhelming! 

To quote my dad, "It's a good thing I don't live in a big city.  I'd end up being fat and alcoholic."

I haven't posted on this site since I moved to Pennsylvania from the Grand Forks area.

We have 6 in our party going, 4 from Hershey PA and two from Minnesota.

We are staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania which is across the street from Madison Square Garden. 

I have reservations at the Heartland Brewery on Saturday before the game. Going to be a great weekend. NYC is 3 hours from our house.

On 11/28/2016 at 6:44 PM, WiSioux said:

Myself and my Aunt are going. Staying at a Hilton not far from the rink. Looking forward to the 9/11 Museum, Central Park, and maybe hitting up a Broadway show.

Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.  

I'll be there with my wife in Section 105, Row 5 and we're staying at the Wyndham New Yorker near MSG. I received an email from United this morning changing my DEN-EWR flight times so we'll be getting in 2 hours later than originally scheduled. We don't have anything planned other than some sight seeing.

6 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

If you have the time take the train to new haven and go to Pepe's Pizza on the Yale campus. 

Loving the New Haven shout out. Wholeheartedly agree, Pepe's is terrific. Plus you get to see Grand Central, which is iconic.

5 hours ago, MissSioux85 said:

Don't buy comedy show tickets from anyone in Times Square.

This is so funny.  True, too. Times Square as a whole isn't great unless its New Years Eve.  So touristy. 

3 minutes ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

This is so funny.  True, too. Times Square as a whole isn't great unless its New Years Eve.  So touristy. 

"Cesspool tourist trap" was the phrase I was thinking of for Times Square.  I would avoid at all costs.  Maybe that's just me....but f***k TS and those stupid idiots in costumes

My kids and I actually like Times Square, but yeah, they know to stay away from the characters.  Some of the costumes are actually pretty good, there are a couple of Spider-Man's that actually climb street lights, etc, but some also look like they got their costumes from the dollar store.  And if you don't leave a tip, often other nearby characters will join in the harassment, almost like they are in a union, Charecters Local 311.  There are also toppless women with body paint walking around doing the same picture taking scam (much to the enjoyment of my son) and its legal.  Although now that Toys 'R Us is closed, TS is not as much as a destination for kids.  We hope to be there Saturday night, but we are flying out Sat morning standby (non-revenue) and there's only a few seats left.  Fingers crossed.