SiouxSports.com Forum

How are teams beating us ?

Fetch

13 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I hear a lot about breakaways against us...   Is the shift to offensive minded defensemen leaving us vulnerable when the D corps is young?

I would say our only two "offensive minded" dmen are Shaw and maybe wolanin.  Although poolman has nice offensive abilities he's technically a 2 way dman.

33 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I hear a lot about breakaways against us...   Is the shift to offensive minded defensemen leaving us vulnerable when the D corps is young?

A few were on line changes in the second period, where one of the defenseman didn't stay back to pick the new player up. 

20 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I would say our only two "offensive minded" dmen are Shaw and maybe wolanin.  Although poolman has nice offensive abilities he's technically a 2 way dman.

If that's the case... And maybe it's just my thinking, but why would we put our only offensive minded d-men on one pairing? 

I'm just saying the forward line combos have been tinkered with but we've had the same d pairings all season. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Probably not the main reason that the team is struggling, but the guy brings up some good points.  #EmbraceHawks

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4170193-letter-hockey-teams-turnaround-starts-fighting-hawks

I read this STUPID article and I immediately thought of you! Just to shut this superstitious thinking down....there was a Sioux flag on the ice in Tampa last April, Cags said Sioux fans in an interview on the ice! So how did #8 happen if it's "hindering them to not let go"??

Stupid letter and complaint!

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

If that's the case... And maybe it's just my thinking, but why would we put our only offensive minded d-men on one pairing? 

I'm just saying the forward line combos have been tinkered with but we've had the same d pairings all season. 

I pinned Wolanin as a "maybe".  There are three types of dmen... offensive, stay at home, and 2-way (ex. Klingburg, greene (sorry couldn't think of anyone else), and Doughty).

You could break up Wolanin and Shaw sure.....which pairing has been giving up the goals?

I keep reading all the UND writers backing the goaltending situation....makes sense.  Cam is going to play the rest of the year, that's obvious.  I think some of the fans are pointing to the fact that our goaltending numbers look below average. That's all.  We aren't giving up a ton of shots....but we aren't scoring a lot either.  Cam hasn't been playing terrible but to say he's playing good isn't true either.  

Also....Goon never compare the walk on tendy to Tomek :)  

37 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I keep reading all the UND writers backing the goaltending situation....makes sense.  Cam is going to play the rest of the year, that's obvious.  I think some of the fans are pointing to the fact that our goaltending numbers look below average. That's all.  We aren't giving up a ton of shots....but we aren't scoring a lot either.  Cam hasn't been playing terrible but to say he's playing good isn't true either.  

Also....Goon never compare the walk on tendy to Tomek :)  

I would say there's a consensus in the press box that Cam is not the problem. Turnover and not getting scoring is the problem. 

As far as the walk-on goalie goes, there's not much difference between three and four. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I pinned Wolanin as a "maybe".  There are three types of dmen... offensive, stay at home, and 2-way (ex. Klingburg, greene (sorry couldn't think of anyone else), and Doughty).

You could break up Wolanin and Shaw sure.....which pairing has been giving up the goals?

I think I more so just would like to see something different back there since we've seen the same thing all season. I'm not convinced the pairings we have are working considering all the turnovers I've seen. But I don't expect any changes there. 

11 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I read this STUPID article and I immediately thought of you! Just to shut this superstitious thinking down....there was a Sioux flag on the ice in Tampa last April, Cags said Sioux fans in an interview on the ice! So how did #8 happen if it's "hindering them to not let go"??

Stupid letter and complaint!

I completely agree with him that clutching on to the Sioux name is ridiculous, but trying to connect affinity for the name to hockey losses is idiotic.  I'd venture to say this guy has not played the game.

9 hours ago, Goon said:

I would say there's a consensus in the press box that Cam is not the problem. Turnover and not getting scoring is the problem. 

As far as the walk-on goalie goes, there's not much difference between three and four. 

Oh for sure, I don't think he's the problem either.  A lot of those goals are point blank shots.  I have only seen 1-2 "terrible" goals all year.  We aren't letting in a lot of goals (as a team) either.  I was simply point to the fact that besides the SCSU weekend, he's not playing great either.

3 and 4?  Hahaha.....right. there's a big difference in talent.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Oh for sure, I don't think he's the problem either.  A lot of those goals are point blank shots.  I have only seen 1-2 "terrible" goals all year.  We aren't letting in a lot of goals (as a team) either.  I was simply point to the fact that besides the SCSU weekend, he's not playing great either.

3 and 4?  Hahaha.....right. there's a big difference in talent.

Potential, probably. Attitude appears to be different story. 

Look at it this way, Malcom Subban was drafted Higher than Zane but he's higher on the depth chart for the Bruins right now. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are two reasons why this team does not have a better record at this point in the season, even though they've played a pretty decent strength of schedule and aren't in terrible shape.

The first reason is the primary cause, in my opinion.  It is poor special teams play.  The second reason is that while Cam Johnson has played decent, and at times has made spectacular saves when hung out to dry by a young defense, we realistically need him to be slightly better.

I'm not a huge "fancy stats" guy, but I think they are useful for determining where some strengths or weaknesses lie.

The most common, of course, is the Corsi %.  By all accounts we are an elite team (usually defined as 55%+) under this metric.  We are near the top in total, even strength and when games are "close".  But on the power play our Corsi sucks.  Good teams are running at about 92% on the power play, we're around 87%, way down in the lower half of all the teams in the country.

Similarly, our penalty kill sucks.  Right now I think we sit at about 47th.  The only teams whose penalty killing is worse than ours are, Bentley, Dartmouth, Colorado College, Bowling Green, Northern Michigan, AIC, Holy Cross, Niagara, ASU, OSU, Brown, Mercyhurst and Michigan State.  These are not college hockey programs that we want to keep company with.

With respect to Cam, last year he was around .935, which is spectacular.  I'm not sure he even has to be that good again, or that we can expect him to be that good again.   But he's at .910 right now, and we need him to be better.  The better teams are getting closer to .920, which is where I think the good teams need to be, at least.  It doesn't sound like much, but those small percentage points make a big difference.  For Cam, if he were .920 instead of .910, that's four goals already this season.  That means the difference in the Friday Minnesota game, the Denver games, the MSU games, etc...

Cam played better in the latter part of the first half, and we need that trend to continue.  If we can get Cam to play at .920 or better in the second half, and if we can fix the putrid special teams play, this has the potential to be a very good team.

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:03 PM, scpa0305 said:

Kind of hard to break that down since guys play against other teams top lines and obviously play different amount of minutes. also when you have outscored teams 40-21 5 on 5 this year there really isn't much wrong when we are 5 on 5.

Our D-men +/- are currently...

Tucker P. +9

Christian W. +7

Hayden S. +6

Gage A. +6

Casey J. +3

Andrew P. +1

Colton P. -1

We only have 3 forwards with negative  numbers

Trevor O. -5

Johnny S. -1

Mike G. -1

Special teams are obviously where we are having issues currently. We have 14 power play goals but have given up 4 shortys and we have given up 16 on the power play and have 1 shorty

42 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Kind of hard to break that down since guys play against other teams top lines and obviously play different amount of minutes. also when you have outscored teams 40-21 5 on 5 this year there really isn't much wrong when we are 5 on 5.

Our D-men +/- are currently...

Tucker P. +9

Christian W. +7

Hayden S. +6

Gage A. +6

Casey J. +3

Andrew P. +1

Colton P. -1

We only have 3 forwards with negative  numbers

Trevor O. -5

Johnny S. -1

Mike G. -1

Special teams are obviously where we are having issues currently. We have 14 power play goals but have given up 4 shortys and we have given up 16 on the power play and have 1 shorty

Agree. 

In the first part of my post I was addressing the different types (not necessarily the +/- numbers) of defensemen we have on roster.  I was responding to a previous post which questioned that we had too many offensive minded dmen.