SiouxSports.com Forum

How are teams beating us ?

Fetch

On 11/27/2016 at 6:22 PM, Fetch said:

Are there special things they are doing ?

Some of these are below or average teams with not so special players

Is it just luck ?

Or our bad play ?

Pressuring our D into mistakes, taking advantage of our sloppy special teams and of course scoring more goals 

It's always one thing or another.  Sparty, they got out competed for a majority of the series.  Denver, sloppy special teams, lack of finishing.  Minnesota, terrible in own end, their goalie has the night of his life.  Duluth, not Cams best weekend, terrible special teams.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Fetch, I've cracked the code:

Opponents have been beating North Dakota by scoring more goals than the Hawks.

So, what you are saying is that we, UND, needs to score more goals than our opponents. 

Hmmm...

Have you approached the coaching staff with this strategy? 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

So, what you are saying is that we, UND, needs to score more goals than our opponents. 

Hmmm...

Yeah I yelled this to Berrys son at my Grandsons hockey game last Saturday - but I don't think he heard me

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

Hmmm...

Pretty much.  My theory is that if UND scores more goals than the opposing team, the odds of winning the game increase substantially.  

I have not approached the coaching staff with this idea just yet - gonna test it out at broomballl in a few weeks and see if it actually works. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fetch said:

Some of u in the popularity contest better be nice or I may have to stop giving popular votes or even worse the dreaded down vote :angry:

Fetch, I just sent you a text.  Seems DaveK has swiped your account password and is posting as you.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Hmmm...

The coaching staff said they will only talk to the greatest hockey mind that is DaveK. :D

• Upvote 1

Schlossman wrote an article on this topic today in the Heraldo:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4168345-commentary-offense-not-goaltending-what-could-use-jolt

A key passage:

During the month of November, Johnson faced more shots than any goalie in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference, yet he still led the NCHC in nearly every major goaltending category—saves, goals-against average, save percentage and shutouts.

Johnson's save percentage in November of .918 was seven points higher than the second-best in the NCHC, Minnesota Duluth's Hunter Miska's .911. It was eight points better than third-place Tanner Jaillet (.910) of Denver.

Despite what the "If only we had Belfour" crowd would have you believe, Cam Johnson is NOT the biggest problem with the team right now. Not even close.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4168345-commentary-offense-not-goaltending-what-could-use-jolt

A key passage:

Despite what the "If only we had Belfour" crowd would have you believe, Cam Johnson is NOT the biggest problem with the team right now. Not even close.

Paging Willythekid!

Nice factual article.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A key passage:

Agree that goaltending isn't the main problem and the stats surprised me a bit.  However, they do not reflect the unevenness of his performances.  Lights out back to back shutouts amid several games where he let in a couple of softies (in one or two goal games).  Cam is not as consistent as last year even factoring in the increase in times he has been hung out to dry.  However, my opinion is that other that the big guns we are pretty toothless - not only a lack of scoring touch, but a complete inability to move the puck down the ice.  To be honest, I am surprised at what low skill some of our guys are showing - even factoring in the youth.  The drop from last year's spot on passing and forchecking to this years futility is almost unbelievable.  We need some guys to step up and right soon.  And I would like to be done with the great Wilkie experiment.

• Upvote 1

Cam Johnson had a save percentage of 80 at home vs a team ranked in the bottom half of college hockey on Friday.

Cam Johnson followed it up the next night with a save percentage of 89.

Cam Johnson the previous week went on the road to a hostile top team and had a save percentage of 100 both nights.

Cams biggest issue is inconsistency. It's a guessing game if hot or cold Cam will show up.

I didn't see that in Brads piece...:whistling:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Cam Johnson had a save percentage of 80 at home vs a team ranked in the bottom half of college hockey on Friday.

Cam Johnson followed it up the next night with a save percentage of 89.

Cam Johnson the previous week went on the road to a hostile top team and had a save percentage of 100 both nights.

Cams biggest issue is inconsistency. It's a guessing game if hot or cold Cam will show up.

I didn't see that in Brads piece...:whistling:

Exactly.  It was mentioned above too, but obviously Cam's stats are going to look great with 2 straight shut outs in the sample.  Unfortunately, the stats don't show the inconsistency that you bring up.  They also don't tell the story about what kind of goals he's letting in.  It seems teams have found out how to beat Cam on the glove side. He keeps letting in un-screened wristers from past the dot.  Those type of shots shouldn't beat a D1 goalie, let alone one that was up for the Richter award last year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A key passage:

We all know it's Cam's fault... They want to see someone else in net. The fans won't be happy until the third-string is lit up for five goals. There, that will do it. 

• Upvote 1